Compiling "Downloade VD Development Version" fails

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
Ygarl
Merchant
Merchant

Compiling "Downloade VD Development Version" fails

Post by Ygarl »

Hello,

This seems a pretty common thread!

Anyway, here goes
Ubutu Dapper, x686.

Here's the section in question:

Code: Select all

if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -I./boost/1_33    -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1      -DHAVE_AL=1   -DHAVE_OGG   -I/usr/include/python2.4 -DHAVE_PYTHON=1   -I./src  -DBISON -g -O2 -pipe  -falign-loops=2 -falign-jumps=2 -falign-functions=2  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -pthread -pipe -MT src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_init.o -MD -MP -MF "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_init.Tpo" -c -o src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_init.o `test -f 'src/aldrv/al_init.cpp' || echo './'`src/aldrv/al_init.cpp; \
        then mv -f "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_init.Tpo" "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_init.Po"; else rm -f "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_init.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp: In function ‘bool AUDInit()’:
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:186: error: invalid conversion from ‘ALvoid*’ to ‘ALCcontext*’
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:186: error:   initializing argument 1 of ‘ALCboolean alcMakeContextCurrent(ALCcontext*)’
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp: In function ‘void AUDDestroy()’:
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:227: error: invalid conversion from ‘ALvoid*’ to ‘ALCcontext*’
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:227: error:   initializing argument 1 of ‘void alcDestroyContext(ALCcontext*)’
./src/cmd/collection.h: At global scope:
./src/cmd/collection.h:54: warning: inline function ‘void UnitCollection::UnitIterator::GetNextValidUnit()’ used but never defined
make[1]: *** [src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_init.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ygarl/Vegastrike/vegastrike'
make: *** [all] Error 2
I have attached config.log, though I keep finding libraries I missed, I can't see one missing here! Maybe I need more coffee!

Thanks,
Ygarl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That which can be imagined can be achieved.
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

Hello Ygarl,

I use Ubuntu too Dapper too. This looks like the OpenAL glitch in the ./configure script.

This ./configure script doesn't report it but you need have 2 dev packages to compile in OpenAL. libopenal-dev AND libalut-dev. It seems the config script expects that if you have the header form the one you have the headers from the other too... I can only guess that on a RPM based system, they are one package, not two.
Ygarl
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Ygarl »

NOW it says:

if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -I./boost/1_33   -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1      -I/usr/local/include  -I/usr/include/python2.4 -DHAVE_PYTHON=1   -I./src  -DBISON -g -O2 -pipe  -falign-loops=2 -falign-jumps=2 -falign-functions=2  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -pthread -pipe -MT src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_sound.o -MD -MP -MF "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_sound.Tpo" -c -o src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_sound.o `test -f 'src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp' || echo './'`src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp; \
        then mv -f "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_sound.Tpo" "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_sound.Po"; else rm -f "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_sound.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:278: error: ‘ALuint’ does not name a type
make: *** [src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_sound.o] Error 1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:278: error: ‘ALuint’ does not name a type
erm,so you installed the headers, did you install the libraries too? libopenal0a AND libalut0... I only just started compiling VS myself (someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but I think both libraries and headers might be required for a build, though only the library is needed to run the game. Another question, are you building from the subversion or the 4.3 release?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

It looks like you now have it set to compile without openal.

If you look at the build line, you will see that you are now missing the compile flags, which it seemed to have before:

-DHAVE_AL=1   -DHAVE_OGG
You may want to rerun ./configure and see if it comes up without any errors.
Ygarl
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Ygarl »

Yeah, I just realised I forgot the -dev of OpenAL, but now:

if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -I./boost/1_33    -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1      -DHAVE_AL=1   -DHAVE_OGG   -I/usr/include/python2.4 -DHAVE_PYTHON=1   -I./src  -DBISON -g -O2 -pipe  -falign-loops=2 -falign-jumps=2 -falign-functions=2  -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -pthread -pipe -MT src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_init.o -MD -MP -MF "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_init.Tpo" -c -o src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_init.o `test -f 'src/aldrv/al_init.cpp' || echo './'`src/aldrv/al_init.cpp; \
        then mv -f "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_init.Tpo" "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_init.Po"; else rm -f "src/aldrv/.deps/vegastrike-al_init.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp: In function ‘bool AUDInit()’:
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:186: error: invalid conversion from ‘ALvoid*’ to ‘ALCcontext*’
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:186: error:   initializing argument 1 of ‘ALCboolean alcMakeContextCurrent(ALCcontext*)’
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp: In function ‘void AUDDestroy()’:
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:227: error: invalid conversion from ‘ALvoid*’ to ‘ALCcontext*’
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:227: error:   initializing argument 1 of ‘void alcDestroyContext(ALCcontext*)’
./src/cmd/collection.h: At global scope:
./src/cmd/collection.h:54: warning: inline function ‘void UnitCollection::UnitIterator::GetNextValidUnit()’ used but never defined
make: *** [src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_init.o] Error 1
Wierd, eh?
BTW - it's the SVN found in the post named in the title of the thread...
[/quote]
El Bobbo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by El Bobbo »

So it looks like you now have libopenal-dev, as ./configure reports finding openal, but do you have libalut-dev installed?

Just to be totally clear, you need to have all of the following packages installed to compile VS under Ubuntu:

libalut0
libalut-dev
libopenal0a
libopenal-dev

(If you search for openal in synaptic package manager, they should all show up near the top of the list, so long as you first enable universe repositories under settings)

P.S. I know very little about linux or compiling, I just know what I had to do to get it to work...er at least work without sound.
El Bobbo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by El Bobbo »

I am trying to compile SVN again today on Ubuntu Dapper and it looks like in version 10428 you will need to modify /src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp on line 1367, and add an "=6" after "leniency" to get it to compile on Ubuntu. See this post for details: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=7313

You could also try upgrading to the newest version of SVN, but I don't know if it is stable or not. I am trying 10428 as they posted it to the link you mentioned above, so I assume it must be at least somewhat stable.
Ygarl
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Ygarl »

Thanks! I'll check this out when I get home...

What a nightmare.

Does anyone know WHY Ubuntu (admittedly the biggest single distro right now) has this problem? Is it something wrong with Ubuntu, or "right" with Ubuntu - like Opera tends to stick to the HTML standards, which means that when people try to do something sly with their webpages, sometimes it won't render as intended even when Opera is "right"?

:?
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

VS svn has been compiling just fine on my Ubuntu 6.06 system ever since I made sure to satisfy all the dependencies.
-- My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.