SVN builds for Windows?

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
pifactorial
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

SVN builds for Windows?

Post by pifactorial »

I was wondering if there's anywhere I can download a relatively recent SVN build for Windows - or, if not, whether anybody would be willing to post one? I don't have the resources to compile a Windows build on my own, but I'm curious to check out the changes since the last stable version.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

pifactorial just pull data4.x and music there is a fiarly new binary incuded check the wiki for the how-to http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... ws_Clients lots of new things if 0.4.3 is what you are using 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
pifactorial
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pifactorial »

Thanks a lot! (though kind of buggy still, eh?)

Is there any point in checking out data5.x?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

not that buggy it's very playable just ckeck the svn log that you get with TortoiseSVN after every update the comments give you an idea of what to expect in-game 8) as for data5.x it's still just the Ogre framework not the game it's self. have fun

pifactorial
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pifactorial »

Just to note - I know time compression is a deprecated feature, but it causes the game to crash if turned on too high.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

yeah that it does been that way for a long time.

Tseng
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Tseng »

Yeah, but if you need to turn it above setting 19, I'd have to ask what your doing.......

EDIT: actually, the one thing I thought of as a reason to jack up the compression was interstellar travel without jump nodes, which I have attempted, and failed when I turned it up to time compression setting 23.
As a side note, it seems SPEC drive stops functioning after a certain point, and there's no real good way to point yourself in the right direction because you can't target stars outside your current system.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

more than likely trying to get around a planet to a base or jump point in orbit :lol:

Tseng
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Tseng »

That may be a reason to use time compression, but even on setting 19 traveling at 500m/s it would be too fast and the controls and fps are too jerky to do anything, however you CAN stop on a dime using it, something the game kinda lacks, actual BRAKES. The lack of having brakes is what makes flying large capital class ships unberable, but that's a subject for another topic.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

no such thing as brakes in space retro-fireing engines do that job but still take lots of time.

Tseng
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Tseng »

No, there is no such thing as brakes in space CURRENTLY and retro rockets take a long time CURRENTLY, but they do have brakes in other sci-fi uhm.... media I suppose would be the correct word.... Whether or not this is true in the vega strike universe is up to it's content writers, however in other universes such as star trek, star wars, etc. the technology is known as "inertial dampeners".

But again, this is a topic for another area of the forums.
mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

Eh... Inertial Dampeners wouldn't act as brakes, but they could enhance the effect of retros...assuming that the motive force was not also subject to inertial damping. They'd also make impacts less catastrophic if they were powerful enough and equipped on both colliding objects. Really it should just reduce your "effective mass", which gives the ship a greater thrust/mass ratio, making all manuvering quicker... more acceleration per unit of thrust regardless of direction.

Even ignoring that, the current retro model seems to use dynamically diminishing thrust as velocity approaches 0...makes that last few hundred m/s take absolutely forever in capships.
Tseng
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Tseng »

Yeah, I was wondering what that whole deal with "once your kahan starts moving it can't stop" was.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

turn off the comp controled deceleration by useing "Shelton Slide" for that last bit 8)