No sound in SVN

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
El Bobbo
Hunter
Hunter

No sound in SVN

Post by El Bobbo »

I finally got the SVN version of vegastrike working. It runs great, but I have no sound. The following is from stderr.txt:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:819:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Mix_OpenAudio
: No available audio device.

I looked through config.log and couldn't find any references to alsa or sound, but please let me know if you want me to post it.

I am running ubuntu linux 6.02. I don't know that much about linux or compiling so any suggestions would be appreciated.
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

Your not the only one with this problem, I don't like alsa.
The easiest solution, you run two programms with sound, that doesn't work.
Do you have a 64 bit processor?

I just can give you some hints:
Most people tell to recompile alsa.
Here are some links, the first one is german, but leads to the second one in english.
http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-17822.html

There they tell, that after recompiling you have to run in a terminal the command:
echo "7a 57c1" > /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs

and everything works fine.

This link explains how to compile Alsa in debug-mode is the important one and was the solution for your problem for some people:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=19307
even if the ubuntu version is hoary hedgehog.

If this doesn't give you a hint, tell your problem in an ubuntu or linux forum.
Some people tell, it's an alsa bug, other ones tell reinstalling can help.

If you run alsaconf, do you see a line like this?
Architecture-specific modutils configuration for x86_64 not found, using defaults

Regards
Plueschinger
El Bobbo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by El Bobbo »

@Plueschinger - Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I may try rebuilding my sound drivers, but I am rather afraid I might break them, so I think I might try recompiling vegastrike once more first just for kicks.

I am running a boring old 32 bit athlon 1GHz, and I am not running any other programs at the same time as vegastrike.

I think my sound driver is at least somewhat working, as I had sound working in VS 0.4.3. I suspect I may not have all the needed dev packages, so I went through and installed every package I could find related to alsa, and plan to recompile vegastrike when I get the chance (unless someone tells me that would be a waste of time before then).

Thanks again to Plueschinger!
andreasj
Merchant
Merchant

Post by andreasj »

Befor you go on and recompile your drivers, you
should at least try to find what causes your
problems. Forst of all you are already using
ALAS with the dmix plugin, which means that
several applications accessing the card at the
same time should not be a problem because
ALSA/dmix will do the mixing in software.

First of all you need to tell us if your sound works
in other applications. Next take a look at the
information ALSA provides about your sound
system, e.g. in /proc/asound/cards. Also make
sure you are in the audio group (run `id` in a
terminal using your user account).

Next check if the necessary alsa user space
packages are installed that help to configure
the sound system, e.g. alsa-base (and for
compatibility alsa-oss). Last but not least check
if the libsdl.*-alsa or libsdl.*-all packages are
installed - if you are using libsdl.*-oss without
the ALSA OSS emulation loaded, SDL apps won't
be able to access your sound devices.
El Bobbo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by El Bobbo »

@andreasj - I can get sound to work fine using the debian package for VS 0.4.3. I have not tried to get sound to work in any applications that I have compiled myself, but sound is at least partially working.

/proc/asound/cards is blank, but >aplay -l produces:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SI7012 [SiS SI7012], device 0: Intel ICH [SiS SI7012]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

When I run id, it says I am in the audio group. I have installed alsa-base and alsa-oss (as well as most other alsa realated packages). I had libsdl1.2debian-alsa installed, but just for kicks I changed it to libsdl1.2debian-all, and the message in stderr.out changed to

esd: Esound sound daemon already running or stale UNIX socket
/tmp/.esd-1000/socket
This socket already exists indicating esd is already running.
Exiting...
open /dev/sequencer: No such file or directory
open /dev/sequencer: No such file or directory

I don't know if this is better or worse than before.

Thanks very much for the helpful suggestions. I have been poking around in some ubuntu forums, and am going to try enable software mixing and disable esound, as in the last message it was complaining about esound. However, I should also do some actual work, so I don't know how far I'll get playing with vegastrike this week.
Last edited by El Bobbo on Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Bobbo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by El Bobbo »

I followed the intructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Enabl ... %28alsa%29

to enable software mixing, and with this and libsdl1.2debian-all I get music but still no sound (lasers, engines etc). If I go back to libsdl1.2debian-alsa I get no sound at all again.

I think I saw some posts by others about music but no sound under ubuntu, so I'll have a look when I get the chance.

edit - I looked and prestiginator is having similar problems, but doesn't seem to have any solution.

Thanks again for the help!

edit - I have to run xhost +local: to get the display to work. Is there any equivalent thing I might have to do for sound?
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

@El Bobbo: check for installation of libopenal0a and openal-dev, and also libalut0 and libalut-dev. that fixed thing for me in svn VS, on Ubuntu 6.06. Most of those ALSA packages were probably unneeded, but check the above first.
El Bobbo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by El Bobbo »

geoscope wrote:check for installation of libopenal0a and openal-dev, and also libalut0 and libalut-dev.
@geoscope: I checked and I do have all of those packages installed. Thanks for the suggestion though. Do you think it might help to remove some alsa packages? Also, do you have to run "xhost +local:" or do you know a way around that?

Does it matter that I still have VS 0.4.3 installed? I don't think any of the directories conflict, but I guess that I'm not sure.

BTW, I tried running VegaStrike with no music, and I still get no sound.
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

Yes, I've had to use the xhost local: No fix yet that I've seen. As for sound, it might be card specific issue, so other than the above, I won't offer guesses, which package you might need. On my system, everything is ALSA, no also-oss packages and such.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Just a comment: On my system (kubuntu breezy), I have had music and no music. The no music problem occurs sometimes when making the soundserver dies without me noticing. Recompiling helped but I doesn't exactly seem to be your problem.