I'm trying to get VS compiled and running in msvc 7.1

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
mbyron
Trader
Trader

I'm trying to get VS compiled and running in msvc 7.1

Post by mbyron »

Actually, I'm (finally) past the compile problems, but I'm running into runtime problems that look like they are related to compile stuff, so I'm posting here so as not to bother the non-dev folks. I've been bugging hellcatv for days; maybe somebody else can help?

I would really like to help develop, but I gotta get to a point where I can build and run VS first (sigh).

I'm running on Windows XP in the MSVC 7.1 debugger.

So my latest problem is that VS dies 'way inside the first (I think it's the first) Python file it tries to execute: "dj.py". The code it's dying in is python_compile.cpp:InterpretPython. After that call, there are 20-30 entries on the call stack (without symbols) -- a mixture of nt.dll, msvcrtd.dll, and python22_d.dll. I could post the stack, but I don't see how it would help anyone.

There nothing suspicious in stdout.txt or stderr.txt. Is there some piece of Python I need to install on my system? Or are the VS cvs modules enough? (Seems like they should be enough -- I can run VS.)

How do you folks debug your Python code? Is there some way I can step through it? I know nothing about Python (yet). Or does one debug Python in VS by outputting strings to stdout or something?

Help!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I think VC7.x just might be permanently broken... I don't thinK I've met anyone who's gotten python to work on it....but maybe it can be done

when something breaks in python it _ALWAYS_ prints something to stderr.txt unless it's a "compiler fails silently" type error--which happens if you use boost 129 on gcc-2.x

have you tried compiling with boost128 as well as boost 129...maybe one works and the other doesn't.

can you try on VC6 (does mS have a downgrade policy) I've never had trouble with that and I'd rather have you coding that trying to work around Microsoft's compiler foobars--
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
mbyron
Trader
Trader

Not easy for me to get MSVC 6

Post by mbyron »

Microsoft doesn't have a downgrade policy, and they generally don't stock anything but the latest release of something. They don't have VC 6. I could look for it used somwhere.

But I'm soooo close....
mbyron
Trader
Trader

Oh -- boost 128

Post by mbyron »

I can't get boost 128 to compile in msvc 7.1. boost 129 works, but not boost 128. I looked around on the boost site, and that seems to be what they think, too.
mbyron
Trader
Trader

On to the next problem

Post by mbyron »

hellcatv helped me offline. (Thanks!) He helped me find the PC sources for Pythong. I rebuilt the python22_d stuff and am using that, and I don't see the crash anymore.

I bet the problem has something to do with different versions of msvcrt being run at the same time.