Is CVS worth it

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Is CVS worth it

Post by rigelan »

I have downloaded CVS (data4.x & vegastrike), but cannot get it to run. I tried placing the vegastrike4.3 binary in the bin directory, and it exits with an error in universe.py.

I have attempted compiling the vegastrike binary on linux (gcc 3.4.5) myself, and it doesn't seem to work. The configure shows no errors, but the compiling itself does.

I have tried a lot of things, but can't get anything to work beyond 4.3 Is the CVS version different enough that it would provide different gameplay, or is it not worth any more of my time?

--I know it depends on what I want to do with vegastrike. I usually sit in on current discussions in the forum, and I just want to have fun with the game.
Lonestar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Lonestar »

A few graphics have been updated in CVS and, in my opinion, the current CVS stuff seems a lot better in terms of the 'feel' of flight and the game. That may just be related to the fact that I get a lot better performance on the CVS version in OSX or the new stuff in data4.x, though.

Post your make errors and the community will help figure out what went wrong for you.
==========
Lonestar
==========
"Not if we jam it! Down scope!"
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Is there

Post by rigelan »

Is there a specific file that the errors are written to? Or should I just copy by hand the last few lines that I see on my screen output?
Lonestar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Lonestar »

config.log usually helps. I usually just clear the screen buffer after a make fails, then run make again. It will start where it left off, leaving just the output from the module it failed to compile. Copy everything and paste it into a post here between quote tags. Also be sure to let us know what distro/driver version/graphics card/etc you are using, since some errors have to do with operating system, opengl implementation, driver problems, etc.
==========
Lonestar
==========
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Weird.

Post by rigelan »

It was finding and messing with a file that was ../.. from the makefile. That is my home directory. There shouldn't be anything in there worth looking at. It found a file with a bunch of email addresses and was thinking it was something. That created a 721kB error log. After I moved that one file, which didn't have anything to do with vegastrike, it dropped the error log to a much more managable 1.8 kB. Weird, I must say. So here is the error log, I rediected the stderr to a file.

/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/3.4.5/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.5, needed by /usr/lib/libSDL.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.6
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/3.4.5/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.5, needed by /usr/lib/libSDL.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.6
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp: In function `void UnitBeginElement(const std::string&, const XMLSupport::AttributeList&, XML*)':
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:672: error: incomplete type `Unit' used in nested name specifier
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:672: error: expected `;' before "elem"
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:673: error: incomplete type `Unit' used in nested name specifier
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:673: error: expected `;' before "top"
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:787: error: `elem' was not declared in this scope
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:788: error: incomplete type `Unit' used in nested name specifier
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:792: error: incomplete type `Unit' used in nested name specifier
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:793: error: incomplete type `Unit' used in nested name specifier
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:799: error: incomplete type `Unit' used in nested name specifier
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:801: error: incomplete type `Unit' used in nested name specifier
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:802: error: incomplete type `Unit' used in nested name specifier
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp: In function `void UnitEndElement(const std::string&, XML*)':
objconv/MeshParse/template_generator.cpp:850: warning: converting to `int' from `float'
make[1]: *** [objconv/MeshParse/mesh_xml-template_generator.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
Last edited by rigelan on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Forgot to mention

Post by rigelan »

I forgot to mention - Slackware 10.2 user. Nvidia driver 81.74. Using Gcc 3.4.5

Edit: I got the libstdc errors to go away by upgrading the version. But the UnitBeginElement error is still there.
Lonestar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Lonestar »

Hmmm... not sure. I've not compiled on Linux in a while. Someone knows, though, I'm sure.
==========
Lonestar
==========
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

rigelan that UnitBeginElement is part of mesher the object converter for converting blender and wings3D files to VS binary format so is not nessesary for VS itself that is all that i can offer as i am still learning C/C++ but there are more eyes around here that hav't seen this yet so dont despair.

Enjoy the Choice :)
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

Hi,

had the error some time ago too. A checkout two days later solved it.

If you can not compile, just wait for some days and retry.

And yes, cvs is totally worth it.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Has the CVS vegastrike folder changed in the last few weeks? I don't remember it changing anything since I first downloaded it not so long ago.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

That's because Vegastrike has moved to SVN - read this
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Does this mean I should try compiling the svn? Is the cvs not going to be used anymore? Or are both planning on being used in the future concurrently?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

eep, so which one do I use now? O_O;
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Lonestar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Lonestar »

SVN is the only one that has been updated in a few weeks now. Use SVN.
==========
Lonestar
==========
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

okay, what do I feed into TortoiseSVN to tell it to go get this-or-that?
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
ottmar
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by ottmar »

klauss wrote:That's because Vegastrike has moved to SVN - read this
When did that happen? Might be prudent for someone to update the documentation or at least put up some notices about this here and there. Everywhere I've looked still says CVS.

Moving to Subversion is probably good though, at least for a project like this that seems to like lots of branches.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Now trying SVN

Post by rigelan »

Now, I'm trying the current SVN version. It didn't compile on Linux either. My make fails with an entirely different function. It now has problems with al_init.cpp. Is this where the sound is generated?

src/aldrv/al_init.cpp: In function `bool AUDInit()':
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:186: error: invalid conversion from `ALvoid*' to `ALCcontext*'
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:186: error: initializing argument 1 of `ALCboolean alcMakeContextCurrent(ALCcontext*)'
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp: In function `void AUDDestroy()':
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:227: error: invalid conversion from `ALvoid*' to `ALCcontext*'
src/aldrv/al_init.cpp:227: error: initializing argument 1 of `void alcDestroyContext(ALCcontext*)'
./src/cmd/collection.h: At global scope:
./src/cmd/collection.h:54: warning: inline function `void UnitCollection::UnitIterator::GetNextValidUnit()' used but never defined
make[1]: *** [src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_init.o] Error 1
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Hmm, it's strange that neither my GCC v. 4.0 and 3.4 don't catch this.
What compiler version do you have (gcc --version)?

The problem is that sometime, OpenAL changed their headers to have a certain function return void* (untyped pointer) to a ALCContext* (a pointer to a defined type).

the code in src/aldrv/al_init.cpp already makes an exception in the code to fix this error for windows.

To fix the error, go to line 151:
Change this code

Code: Select all

#ifndef _WIN32
static ALvoid *context_id=NULL;
#else
static ALCcontext * context_id=NULL;
#endif
to

Code: Select all

static ALCcontext * context_id=NULL;
(I.e. delete all but the line before the #endif.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Gcc 3.4.5 I'll try, see what it does.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Got much further than previously. Now I'm coming across another OpenAl reference, I believe.

src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_sound.o(.text+0x266f): In function `AUDCreateSoundWAV(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, bool, bool)':
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_vector.h:462: undefined reference to `alutLoadWAVMemory'
src/aldrv/vegastrike-al_sound.o(.text+0x26ba): In function `AUDCreateSoundWAV(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, bool, bool)':
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:353: undefined reference to `alutUnloadWAV'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [vegastrike] Error 1
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Any Solutions?
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Just for news: I finally got the entire thing to compile. My openal package wasn't up to snuff. When I replaced it with an older version it compiled.