AstrGet.vcproj is not installed

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Thing is... I'm not sure it's playable.
I've been stumbling on new VC8 asserts, and so VS randomly crashes when it finds those (things the old runtime libraries didn't whine about, but the new ones get bitchy and kill your app).
I've been weeding them out bit for bit, but it's a tiresome procedure (you never know when you might find another).
I think I got them all... but I had to do some big changes to sensitive areas (areas where one is prone to screw up bad), so I'm waiting for peer review on those.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Calvin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Calvin »

ok, hopefully that would be soon :twisted:

on the other hand is is good though, cause I have on wednesday a big test in university and so i had time to learn for it and didnn't spend the evenings playing Vegastrike :lol:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

(Don't read until wednesday ;) )

...but I've already commited the vega-vc8 build environment if you want to try... https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/veg ... k/vega-vc8
Wing Commander Universe
Calvin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Calvin »

thnx, downloaded already ;) it works fine here, some smaller glitches are still there for me, but they are game related...

such as; have to reconfig the key's because my german keyboard has some keys mixed up(missing, or i don't know what key that one is, or what key gives the letter/symbol on my keyboard)...
and the ships are somewhat clumsy or i have to get used to the flightsystem again... I end after every turn flying with 500-1000 or more to one side or backwards(ok, mostly with the goddard or the tesla, which i gave me for testing.)
Hockeypuck
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Hockeypuck »

Hello there!

I've played the 0.4.3 version of VegaStrike and really like the game. However, I've decided I wish to be on the cutting edge. Trying to compile the package I get the following error:

Code: Select all

1>Linking...
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'wsock32.lib'
Other than that, the build goes wonderfully!

I'm using Windows XP Pro, SP2 and Visual C++ 8 Express to compile.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Hockeypuck you should have a usable binary in the bin folder of the data4.x module if i remember right it was checked-in last week.that should keep you flying till one of the code manglers :wink: answers.watch out for all the traffic most are pretty paranoid and twitchy.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Hockeypuck
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Hockeypuck »

I noticed that came in last time I checked it out.. wasn't sure of it's purpose though, thanks!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Hockeypuck wrote:

1>Linking...
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'wsock32.lib'
It appears you failed to properly install the platform SDK. Take a look at the start page when you open VC8 Express, you'll have a small window with a list of "startup tasks" or something like that, and the very first one IIRC is "download the platform SDK" - there you have full instructions for how to download and install it.
But, as was said, it's only required if you want to build your own binaries for some important reason, because that binary in data4.x gets updated when something important is added/fixed.
Wing Commander Universe
Hockeypuck
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Hockeypuck »

Thanks for the reply. It had taken me a while to get the errors about windows.h to go away, had figured it had solved my SDK problems. I'll check it over again.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Have you set the environment variables like described in the WPSDK installation instructions?

Also, make sure you did everything else described in the HowTo:VCPP_Compiling section of the wiki.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Hi, just checked out svn, and tried to compile under vc8. Went surprisingly smooth for the most part, but got an error...

k:\vssvn\vegastrike\src\in_kb.cpp(104) : error C2065: 'SDLMod' : undeclared identifier
I did not install the DXSDK, as I was reading earlier in this thread that only dsound.h is needed. Do I need to download SDL or something?

EDIT: Sorry I posted to this old thread; it is the one the wiki said to post problems to.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

There seems to be a problem in cvs with SDL. I got around the problem in my previous post. The problem was that I was compiling the default target of "Debug GLUT". After I changed the target to "Debug", the problem seemed to go away. But now I've finished compiling and linking my changes (to have multiple armor configurations) in Debug mode no problem; but when I try to compile vegastrike for the "Release" target, it compiles and links okay also, but at runtime I get an error message:

The procedure entry point SDL_strlcat could not be located in the dynamic link library SDL.dll.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You must have some sort of older SDL library on your system somewhere where it is found by VC8. I don't remember ever having such problems.

You might want to do a search on your entire system for SDL*.dll and see if it runs into any problems.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Thanks, Ace; never mind; I'm an Idiot, so why don't you kill me? :D I was grabbing the compiled exe from data4x and throwing it into the Privateer Universe bin folder and expecting it to work. I wasn't aware that PU is running on a prehistoric version of the VS engine and that all the dll's there should be placed in museums. So I tried running the exe from within the data4x and it crashes on me, but probably because of something in my code changes. Access violation. Shudda tried without my changes first, but now it's next... :)