Windows compile error

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Windows compile error

Post by CoffeeBot »

I've got the visual studio 2k3 toolkit, codeblocks, and everything else listed on the wiki-howto, got the CVS downloaded properly, and am viewing the project in codeblocks.

Upon compilation, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

File: c:\vegastrike\compile\vegastrike\src\configxml.h
Line: 29
Message: fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'expat.h': No such file or directory
I checked out the line, and saw it was a global/system include, so I found expat.h in another directory, copied it into the same as configxml.h, and changed <expat.h> to 'expat.h', it would get to the next file looking to include <expat.h>.

I tried, for a short while, to edit each line that errored out, but it quickly became apparent that this was a stupid solution.

Surely there's an intelligent one?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

did you check out vega-vc7 module to the same dir as vegastrike was checked out to

when you load up vegastrike.vcproj it should include expat.h which is included in the vega-vc7 project folder

then you should be able to download microsoft's tool "vcbuild.exe"
and do

vcbuild.exe vegastrike.vcproj "Release|Win32"
it *should* work

however hte VC2003 toolkit doesn't support multithreading--meaning no sound :-(
also the vc2003 toolkit requires you to download windows.h and all those supporting things..
I recommend looking for the full VC2005 system--that includes multithread and a GUI to boot
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

hmm. I was just following the instructions in the wiki for codeblocks.

Should I just ditch 'blocks and use vcbuild.exe you're talking about?

Also, I was using codeblock's "import visual c solution" option, and taking vegastrike.sln (or something similar), not the .vcproj file. Could this be the problem?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I have no idea what codeblocks is or how to use it :-/
evidently someone who wrote the wiki entry knew more than myself

but the wiki was probably written before the free Microsoft 2005 toolkit that will work out of the box with that project file--and seems like less of an effort
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

sounds good. I'll find it :)

Thanks!

Edit: Couldn't find it. Is it the VC++ 2005 Express package? I couldn't find mention of any toolkit other than 2003.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

That's the package I downloaded (got the .iso and burnt to disc for installation), and did the same for the Platform SDK. Coffeebot, between us maybe we can figure a step by step way to make this work? Idea being we can then update the wiki with step by step so people who have no idea (like me!) can compile.

Idea for wiki being:
1) obtain and instal VS C++ Express package (from link);
2) after installing VS C++ Express, obtain and instal Platform SDK;
3) Open Express GUI and change C++ directories as instructed by the SDK;

etc and so on.

Will take another look when I have some time spare.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
providence2010
Merchant
Merchant

Post by providence2010 »

I tried your recommendation to use vs2k5 express, but then it says it's missing windows.h and basetsd.h

here's a chunk of the log files, there were a lot of lines with this in it, so I'm not posting all of it, because it's almost all the same.

c:\sandbox\vegastrike\vega-vc7\include\pyconfig.h(294) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'basetsd.h': No such file or directory
arg_to_python_base.cpp
c:\sandbox\vegastrike\vega-vc7\include\pyconfig.h(294) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'basetsd.h': No such file or directory
vsnet_socketudp.cpp
c:\sandbox\vegastrike\vegastrike\src\networking\lowlevel\vsnet_headers.h(7) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
vsnet_sockettcp.cpp
c:\sandbox\vegastrike\vegastrike\src\networking\lowlevel\vsnet_headers.h(7) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
vsnet_socketset.cpp
vsnet_socketflags.cpp
vsnet_socketbase.cpp
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

You have to install the platform SDK (download it from microsoft), as well as the DirectX SDK (perhaps it's avoidable... but I don't think so).

But... still... it doesn't build right. If you get it to build (which won't at first), there's some trouble with a few of the dependencies. I think it may be necessary to rebuild them with VC Express as well. I'm already working on it, and will commit a vega-vc8 folder with the project files and all when it's done - you could wait for that.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
providence2010
Merchant
Merchant

Post by providence2010 »

Thanks Klauss, how long do you think it will take, I don't really know how long I can deal with 0.4.3's broken economy.