`AM_PATH_PYTHON' not found in library

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
duan
Explorer
Explorer

`AM_PATH_PYTHON' not found in library

Post by duan »

Hi I've used gcvs to get the vegastrike modules and would like to compile vegastrike.

when I run sh bootstrap-sh I get this error
aclocal: configure.ac: 319: macro `AM_PATH_PYTHON' not found in library

and it just gets worse from there:
configure.ac:337: error: MISSING script(s) from m4scripts directory.
An easy way to get these scripts is to use ./bootstrap-sh to create configure.
configure.ac:337: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
autoheader: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 1
configure.ac:337: error: MISSING script(s) from m4scripts directory.
An easy way to get these scripts is to use ./bootstrap-sh to create configure.
configure.ac:337: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
automake: unrecognized option -- `-ac'

anyone got any clues as to what I can do?

I have succesfully compiled the game a few weeks ago with the linux_xxx script but that died, but I'd rather figure out how this all works and compile from scratch.

Thanks!
Duan
Where do I buy a MIG welder to add a heavy gunport to my Llama?
balloyd1
Trader
Trader

Configuration Changes

Post by balloyd1 »

We are going through a growing pains period, trying to update the build system to be more maintainable AND still work. The error about AM_PATH_PYTHON is very confusing, because we do not use AM_PATH_PYTHON at all. The only reference to it is in a comment. Is it VS_CHECK_PYTHON perhaps?

There is also a new version of linux_vegastrike-cvs.sh script available that should work with the updated build system (while still supporting historical data as well. (It also takes care of some corner case errors with the previous version)

Also, you might need to have gcvs add any directories that have been added to the build tree. CVS does not do this by default, and if you are using the same pull from a few weeks ago, only updated, you are probably missing the new directory m4scripts. That would sure give you the ending error you have.

If the above doesn't help you fix, the problem the following information would help me help you.
What versions of the autotools are you using?
aclocal ?
automake ?
autoconf ?
autoheader ?
duan
Explorer
Explorer

Post by duan »

Hi Balloyd1,

yes line 319 in configure.ac is VS_CHECK_PYTHON

I made a new directory yesterday and downloaded the vegastrike and data4.x modules with gcvs (from the howto).
I get that error when I run:

sh bootstrap-sh (either as me or with sudo...)

these are my versions (installed in ubuntu from its available repositories and always updating)

aclocal (GNU automake) 1.4-p6
automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p6
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
autoheader (GNU Autoconf) 2.59

I am currently running the vegastrike cvs script available at the bottom of the vegastrike.sourceforge.net/files page (is that the latest script you were refering to?)
duan
Explorer
Explorer

Post by duan »

the download is complete...
I get this when I run ./bootstrap-sh
aclocal: unrecognized option -- `--force'

there is no --force option in the man pages for aclocal I have (should I try to upgrade aclocal?)

I tried issuing:

dj@sprinkaan:~/vs_cvs_script/vegastrike_cvs_head/vegastrike$ aclocal -I m4scripts

that is the only error there not the lines I previously had. maybe that Is my only real problem but I have
Python 2.4.1 installed.

Sorry for the flood of text but maybe it gives you some usefull information.
balloyd1
Trader
Trader

More to try

Post by balloyd1 »

Man page for aclocal? I don't have one of those.
I am pretty sure that it will work with 1.6 or later. 1.9.5 is the latest. Since you have the latest of autoconf and autoheader, I suggest you upgrade automake and aclocal.

The cvs script at the bottom of the files page has changed very recently. You might want to re-download it and see if that helps.

BTW, what distro are you using to build on?

Don't worry about posting too much. We ask that you paste config.log into the message, and I promise that is generally A LOT more text than you've given. It would help me immensely if you would paste your config.log.
duan
Explorer
Explorer

Post by duan »

Hi Balloyd1!

I upgraded automake to latest(OK, second latest, I never trust "latest") on the GNU website and it compiled fine.

The reason I never posted configure.log was because the bootstrap-sh script failed before even making the configure script, so I never got that far...

I use a stock ubuntu 5v04 Hoary hedgehog(only installed software, never modified anything like the kernel etc.), the 1v4 autoconf was the latest in the official ubuntu repository. Maybe that's why I got the "man aclocal" - its the latest that they had a man page for? :-)
Asus a7n8x mobo
AMD athlon 2500+
built in nasty soundcard
built in nvidia gforce4 video.

I went to the gnu website and downloaded automakev1v9.tar.gz and extracted it,
./configure
./make
sudo make install
and now I'm on versions
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.9

I ran in the vegastrike directory:
./bootstrap-sh
./comfigure
make
sudo make install

now to setup the gameplay options options...

Thanks again for the help!!

Duan