configure fails to detect glut in latest CVS on linux

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
roadrunner
Explorer
Explorer

configure fails to detect glut in latest CVS on linux

Post by roadrunner »

I have just checked out the lastest sources from CVS and now configure fails with the following error messages.

checking for glut library... no
configure: error: GLUT library not found or too old version. 3.7 (beta) or later required.

Which is rather strange, because I have a working glut and its include files installed (mesaglut and
mesaglut-devel). So both the library and the header file are present.

So here is what 'config.log' says:

configure:8328: checking for glut library
configure:8354: g++ -o conftest -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.cc -lutil -lglut -lXi -lXmu >&5
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.6/../../../libglut.so: undefined reference to `glPixelStorei'
/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1: undefined reference to `glEvalPoint2'
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.6/../../../libglut.so: undefined reference to `glBitmap'
[...]

For some reason a lot of '-l<libraray>' parameters like '-lGL' and '-lGLU' are missing.

Because configure has worked before, i checked out an older version with 'cvs update -D 9/10/05'. Now
the command line for gcc in 'config.log' looks like this:

configure:10169: checking for glut library
configure:10195: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.c -lutil -L/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib -lSDL -lpthread -lGL -lGLU -lglut -lXi -lXmu >&5

And configure runs without error.

I hope someone has an idea.

My system:
SuSE Linux 9.0
gcc-3.3.6
autoconf-2.57-137
automake-1.7.6-41
balloyd1
Trader
Trader

Thanks for the useful report

Post by balloyd1 »

I don't have a solution for the problem yet. I will post again when I find a solution. The problem seems to be because the latest configure tries to use g++ (and CXXFLAGS) to do the build instead of gcc (and CFLAGS). Since the vegastrike build system really, really mucks with the CXXFLAGS variable, it looks like something isn't working together. I will try to find why it is now wanting to use the c compiler instead of the c++.

Could you please give me the actual command lines you used to build each of these configure scripts and the commands used to run them? It would help out immensely in fixing the problem. Right now, I can't duplicate it.
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

Re: commands to make it... Look at Makefile.cvs. It's all in there.
roadrunner
Explorer
Explorer

Post by roadrunner »

I have just tried building VS again. I noticed that there is now a configure script in the cvs source tree. This configure script works just fine. And the one generated using bootstrap-sh works as well.
I am still puzzeled what went wrong last week. Anyway, thanks to anyone who tried to help...

One notice on bootstrap-sh:
The script uses the argument '--force' when calling 'aclocal'. My poor old automake-1.7.6-41 does not understand this option. :(