Problem compiling latest CVS (maybe just noobage)

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
providence2010
Merchant
Merchant

Problem compiling latest CVS (maybe just noobage)

Post by providence2010 »

Hello, I'm a bit new to any form of CVS usage/ compiling/ open source gaming so please forgive me if I'm making a really simple mistake.

Anyway, I'm trying to compile the latest CVS version of Vegastrike using Codeblocks and Tortoise CVS. Since there is no really good explanation for using Codeblocks I used the readme in the vega-vc7 folder and from that found out I was also supposed to compile with the vegastrike and data folders. So far so good?

But when I load it into codeblocks I get the error message "cannot wait for thread termination [error 6: the handle is invalid].

Just for fun, I try to compile it anyway, but the compiler stop immediately with the message:

Project : vsacctserver
Compiler : Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 (called directly)
Directory : C:\CVS\Vegastrike\Vegastrike\vega-vc7\vsacctserver\
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Switching to target: Debug
cl : Command line error D2004 : '/W' requires an argument
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings

So, any ideas? I might try using vega-proj even though neither the readme nor the instructions tell me to. It's just that the readme references it. Also, how do I tell it to fetch a CVS folder in binary? It says use -kb in the readme, but tortoise doesn't seem to like that idea. Thanks for reading this and thinking about it.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

In the CVS repository, right click, go to CVS->Preferences, the Advanced tab, and right in the bottom, where it says: Sandbox DOS/UNIX, select Unix.

This usually solves many problems. You should checkout again after that. (that is, delete the files and checkout again, or checkout in a separate folder)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
providence2010
Merchant
Merchant

Post by providence2010 »

I can't find that option. Are you sure you're talking about tortoise cvs?
providence2010
Merchant
Merchant

Post by providence2010 »

nvm, I found it. Thanks for the help.
providence2010
Merchant
Merchant

Post by providence2010 »

Okay, so I switched the mode over to unix by default and it still didn't work. I get the exact same error before compiling, and the exact same error after compiling. If I'm using the vega-vc7 module, what other's would I need. I'm just wondering, because maybe the readme is incomplete.
zbyszanna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by zbyszanna »

In Build Options, for every target you must set proper level of warnings. There is inproper value (or rather there is not any), so the compiler gets angry. Change /W to /Wall (for example) in Other Options and it should work.
providence2010
Merchant
Merchant

Post by providence2010 »

How do I change it. When I go to Other Options in the build options window all it gives me is an open space. I'm assuming there's a command I need to put in here to tell it how to change that. Also, how will I know what the different warnings should be changed to when and if they occur, just in case this happens again.
providence2010
Merchant
Merchant

Post by providence2010 »

Nvm, I played around a bit more, and found that under the debug portion of the build options menu tree. But, now I get another error.

Directory : C:\CVS\sandbox\Vegastrike\vega-vc7\vsacctserver\
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
accountserver.cpp
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\include\ostream(574) : warning C4530: C++ exception handler used, but unwind semantics are not enabled. Specify /EHsc
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\include\istream(828) : warning C4530: C++ exception handler used, but unwind semantics are not enabled. Specify /EHsc
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\include\istream(1064) : warning C4530: C++ exception handler used, but unwind semantics are not enabled. Specify /EHsc
c:\CVS\sandbox\Vegastrike\vegastrike\src\configxml.h(29) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'expat.h': No such file or directory
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 1 seconds)
1 errors, 3 warnings

Sounds like I'm missing some of the package. Any idea what that would be?
zbyszanna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by zbyszanna »

providence2010 wrote:Nvm, I played around a bit more, and found that under the debug portion of the build options menu tree. But, now I get another error.
You also should set it under other branches (release, debug glut and release glut), but I think it is rather obvious.
Directory : C:\CVS\sandbox\Vegastrike\vega-vc7\vsacctserver\
accountserver.cpp
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\include\ostream(574) : warning C4530: C++ exception handler used, but unwind semantics are not enabled. Specify /EHsc
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\include\istream(828) : warning C4530: C++ exception handler used, but unwind semantics are not enabled. Specify /EHsc
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\include\istream(1064) : warning C4530: C++ exception handler used, but unwind semantics are not enabled. Specify /EHsc
c:\CVS\sandbox\Vegastrike\vegastrike\src\configxml.h(29) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'expat.h': No such file or directory
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 1 seconds)
1 errors, 3 warnings

Sounds like I'm missing some of the package. Any idea what that would be?
warnings about exceptions - I think that vctoolkit has exceptions turned off by default so you have to find out, which switch turns them on in order to rid of this message.

As for expat - you need this xml library in order to compile vegastrike. As it is written in readme, you can compile only vegastrike as other projects are very old and are not up to date. I closed other projects and left only vegastrike (as for sound server and so, I just copied binaries from privateer bin directory). You can find expat in vega-vc7 module, you just have to set proper paths in bulid options/compiler options.

I had another problem with compiling it - there was no isnan function in math.h. I managed to solve it like this:

#include "float.h"
#define _isnan(x) isnan(x)

but maybe in your psdk this function will be available.