Windows 10 Compile Failure with Alpha 8.0

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
Kenner
Trader
Trader

Windows 10 Compile Failure with Alpha 8.0

Post by Kenner »

The compile appears to have gone fine, and the vegastrike-engine.exe is present in my bin subdirectory. But I have nothing in my Appdata directory, as per below results:

PS D:\Users\KenH\Downloads\VSA1\VSA1\bin> .\vegastrike-engine -d"D:\Users\KenH\Downloads\VSA1\VSA1\data"
[2021-12-29 21:59:35.307439] [0x000017b4] [trace] Registering codec ogg
[2021-12-29 21:59:35.308436] [0x000017b4] [trace] .

Legacy Mode: FALSE
In path D:\Users\KenH\Downloads\VSA1\VSA1\bin
Windows version 6 2
Vega Strike
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

ARG #1 = -dD:\Users\KenH\Downloads\VSA1\VSA1\data
Using data dir specified on command line : D:\Users\KenH\Downloads\VSA1\VSA1\data
GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found MODDIR = D:\Users\KenH\Downloads\VSA1\VSA1\data/mods
USING HOMEDIR : C:\Users\KenH\AppData\Local\.vegastrike as the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : C:\Users\KenH\AppData\Local\.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No config found in data dir : D:\Users\KenH\Downloads\VSA1\VSA1\data/vegastrike.config

Have I missed a step? Am I supposed to install vsUtCS separately? If so, where can I find the instructions for that?

Thanks.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Windows 10 Compile Failure with Alpha 8.0

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Kenner IIRC since our settings app does not compile on Windows yet there is a bug in the GTK library/ddl that Microsoft has not addressed yet you have to put the config file in the home folder manually. Have asked one of our devs to chime in here.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Kenner
Trader
Trader

Post by Kenner »

Thanks - appreciate the reply. Just need to know where to get the config file from, and I "should" be good to go.
temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Post by temporalbeing »

Kenner welcome! Glad to see more users of our new builds, and thanks for testing out the new 0.8.0 alphas.

The VS Engine and VS Data (VS:UtCS, PWCU, etc) are now installed separately as of 0.6.0. The 0.8.x version will be the first to have this split on Windows. You can find the 0.8.x VS:UtCS assets at https://github.com/vegastrike/Assets-Production. We don't seem to have the installers built yet.

Also, there are now two binaries: vegastrike-engine and vegastrike.
The vegastrike binary maintains the old behavior of trying to auto-locate the data set; where the vegastrike-engine binary purposefully requires the dataset to be specified. You get the `vegastrike` binary during the install process (f.e `make install`); you can mimic this by just copying and renaming the binary - the difference is done by logic on the executable name.
Kenner
Trader
Trader

Post by Kenner »

Hi,

Sorry to be a pain, but you've slipped past my knowledge level now. :D

I'm not sure what to do with that link? Am I supposed to have github installed? Is there a specific sub-directory within that link where I find VS:UtCS?

I used to be okay with SVN, but I confess that I'm completely lost with github. Any help would be appreciated.
Kenner
Trader
Trader

Post by Kenner »

Update - never mind, I figured it out. Turns out Visual Studio can do a clone onto my computer. I've got the program up and running. Now I just need to figure out how to navigate, dock, etc. Looks good so far in Windows, though.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You could of cloned the Assets repo or just got a zip file of it from the github site one of the options that github's web interface offers. But glad you got it running BTW the config file is standard XML that you can edit with notepad++.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Hi there Kenner!!

Since I am also trying to compile it and it's something WAY ABOVE my paygrade :) :), is there any step by step guide?
Kenner
Trader
Trader

Post by Kenner »

The instructions provided are mostly complete:

### Compiling On Windows

Vega Strike is now compiling on Windows! If you want to compile it, try it out, and perhaps offer feedback, that would certainly be welcome.

To compile Vega Strike on Windows, start by installing Visual Studio 2019, if you haven't already. When selecting the Workloads and Components to install, include at least "C++ for Desktop"; "Python"; and a recent build of the Windows SDK. Probably Git and the GitHub for Windows extension also. Install the latest Visual Studio updates as well.

Once Visual Studio finishes installing, reboot your computer. Then, find `Developer PowerShell for VS 2019` on the Start menu; alt-click it ("right-click"); and choose "Run as Administrator." Run `Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned` (or another suitable PowerShell Execution Policy of your choice). Type `Y` and press Enter to confirm. Exit PowerShell. Now reopen `Developer PowerShell for VS 2019`, this time without Admin privileges, and run `script/bootstrap.ps1`. Once that finishes, reboot your computer again. Finally, open `Developer PowerShell for VS 2019` one more time, and run `script/build.ps1`.

Assuming all the above steps succeed, you are now ready to run Vega Strike. Note that `vegasettings` is not currently building on Windows, so you will need to edit `vegastrike.config` manually as needed. Also note: Windows installer is still pending.

Finally, note that the location of the `.vegastrike` folder has changed since v0.5.1r1. It will now be located here: `C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\.vegastrike`.

What's missing from the instructions are that you also need to install Upon the Coldest Sea assets as well. The link for that is in an earlier email.

Finally, I created a .bat file in order to run the game without having to enter a command line every time. This is what's in mine, but you'll need to tweak your settings for wherever the bits end up:

D:\Users\KenH\Downloads\VSA1\VSA1\bin\./vegastrike-engine.exe -d"D:\Users\KenH\Source\Repos\Assets-Production"

(the -d is to specify the data directory).

Also, I think you also need to put vegastrike.config in your AppData directory. Mine is in C:\Users\KenH\AppData\Local\.vegastrike, but again, yours will vary.
Kenner
Trader
Trader

Post by Kenner »

If any step is not clear, or you need help, just post a follow-up and I'll help if I can. If not, one of the developers usually drops in with the solution!
Kenner
Trader
Trader

Post by Kenner »

Also, just for a laugh, I downloaded and installed the PWCU assets and tried to get it to run, but I don't think it's compatible with the latest alpha version. It throws some catastrophic errors and quits. :-)
Kenner
Trader
Trader

Post by Kenner »

Oh... forgot to mention - really super important - make sure your directory path is not too long and does not include any spaces. The compiler really has a problem if your path is too long. That's why I shortened my download directory name to VSA1 before starting the install (the second time). Experience is a great teacher!
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Thank you Kenner, for your swift reply!!

I 've also tried the procedure posted on the vega-strike site, but generates errors!! (But I am a complete noob :oops: , so I expect that I will not get it right, on my first try :lol: :lol: !!).
Also, just for a laugh, I downloaded and installed the PWCU assets and tried to get it to run, but I don't think it's compatible with the latest alpha version. It throws some catastrophic errors and quits. :-)
Same think happens when I 'm trying to build vega-strike in Manjaro!!! Never got the bloody think to work!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: On the other hand I was able to install it, in a virtual machine running PoP OS 20.04. Mouse movement is jerky , and for some reason (on the VmWare side), my joystick is not recognized, but I got it to run!!
Kenner
Trader
Trader

Post by Kenner »

When you run the compiler, it will generate a ton (no exaggeration) of errors. However, for me, none of them were fatal. Most of them are about floats being converted, that kind of thing. At the end, it still generated the executables. Did that not happen for you?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Most of those errors are warnings and are present in the Linux build as well still a lot of cleaning of the code needed our focus has been updating the library API.

Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

When you run the compiler, it will generate a ton (no exaggeration) of errors. However, for me, none of them were fatal. Most of them are about floats being converted, that kind of thing. At the end, it still generated the executables. Did that not happen for you?
No! And I had errors, running both scripts!! But I will give it another try, this weekend and I will try to post any logs!!
Most of those errors are warnings and are present in the Linux build as well still a lot of cleaning of the code needed our focus has been updating the library API.
For some reason I could not build in Manjaro, both in real hardware and VMWare!! I will also post the logs!!!
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

I tried compiling the latest alpha, and still had no luck whatsoever. These are the errors it generates when I try to run the "bootstrap.ps1" script:
PS C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos> script/bootstrap.ps1

Directory: C:\

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
d----- 11/1/2022 10:42 πμ Projects
fatal: destination path 'vcpkg' already exists and is not an empty directory.
Downloading https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg-tool ... /vcpkg.exe -> C:\Projects\vcpkg\vcpkg.exe... done.
Validating signature... done.

. : The term 'refreshenv' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos\script\bootstrap.ps1:41 char:3
+ . refreshenv
+ ~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (refreshenv:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
The "build.ps1" script, just stops, without generating anything!!

Now, if I just open the source folder with Visual Studio 2019, it generates the following errors:
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error CMake Error at C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2019/Community/Common7/IDE/CommonExtensions/Microsoft/CMake/CMake/share/cmake-3.20/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:230 (message):
Could NOT find GLUT (missing: GLUT_glut_LIBRARY GLUT_INCLUDE_DIR) C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2019/Community/Common7/IDE/CommonExtensions/Microsoft/CMake/CMake/share/cmake-3.20/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake 230
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error CMake Error at C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\Documents\VS_Projects\Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-0.8.0-alpha3\engine\CMakeLists.txt:540 (ADD_SUBDIRECTORY):
ADD_SUBDIRECTORY given source "../ext/" which is not an existing directory.

++ boost dir: ../ext/ Vega_Strike C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\Documents\VS_Projects\Vega-Strike-Engine-Source-0.8.0-alpha3\engine\CMakeLists.txt 540
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Post by the_mtn_who_glides »

Hi Captain_Kal,

Hopefully I can help get you going here. This error:
. : The term 'refreshenv' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos\script\bootstrap.ps1:41 char:3
+ . refreshenv
+ ~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (refreshenv:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
is unfortunate, but can be safely ignored.

What is the exact output of the "build.ps1" script, if any? Are you running it as ".\script\build.ps1", from the Vega-Strike-Engine-Source root directory?
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Thank you very much for your response. Developer Powershell for VS 2019, uses the default (I think) VS 2019 directory. In my case:
PS C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos>
I 've copied the source code in it. And then I run the scripts:

First
PS C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos> script/bootstrap.ps1

Then:
PS C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos> script/build.ps1
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Tried again, with the new "alpha" source code (v0.8.0-alpha5).

This time the script was completed (yeah!!!!), but it didn't produced a vegastrike executable, since it encountered a fatal error:
C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos\build\Release\vegastrike-engine.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 43 unresolved externals [C:\U
sers\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos\build\vegastrike-engine.vcxproj]
This was the final message after a couple of pages of messages!!!!! I think I did something wrong with the libraries and the linker could not find them.

Anyway it did produced, some executables:
Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
d----- 21/1/2022 9:20 πμ bin
.\build\Release\vegastrike-engine.exp
.\build\Release\vegastrike-engine.lib
.\build\Release\vegastrike-engine.pdb
.\build\Release\vegastrike-engine_com.lib
.\build\Release\vegastrike-OPcollide.lib
5 File(s) copied
.\build\objconv\Release\libexpat.dll
.\build\objconv\Release\vega-meshtool.exe
.\build\objconv\Release\vega-meshtool.pdb
.\build\objconv\Release\vs-buildenv-asteroidgen.exe
.\build\objconv\Release\vs-buildenv-asteroidgen.pdb
.\build\objconv\Release\vs-buildenv-replace.exe
.\build\objconv\Release\vs-buildenv-replace.pdb
.\build\objconv\Release\vs-buildenv-trisort.exe
.\build\objconv\Release\vs-buildenv-trisort.pdb
9 File(s) copied
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

OK cool, so we're making some progress. Now to figure out why the linker can't find the libraries it needs.

Can you open your Developer PowerShell window, and run the following command:

Code: Select all

echo $env:VCPKG_ROOT
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Also, can you check that the C:\Projects directory exists, and that a directory named vcpkg exists inside of that?
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

CODE: SELECT ALL

It Returned this message:
C:\Projects\vcpkg
Also, can you check that the C:\Projects directory exists, and that a directory named vcpkg exists inside of that?
Yes, on both!!
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

And for the bravest of the brave, :D :D :D , I tried to build 8.0 alpha 1, and copied the error messages, in a txt file, that I attached!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Captain_Kal wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:44 pm
CODE: SELECT ALL

It Returned this message:
C:\Projects\vcpkg
Yes, on both!!
OK. Good to know. So far so good.