Setting install dir with CVS-install-script

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
cyberfrag
Trader
Trader

Setting install dir with CVS-install-script

Post by cyberfrag »

Hi all,

I'd just like to know whether there is a simple way to change the default installation directory the CVS-install-script currently uses. It wants to install to /usr/local/share/vegastrike (AFAICS) and I'd prefer it to reside in /opt/vegastrike_cvs for two reasons: First /opt seems to be the default directory for non-system addons on Gentoo, second I'd like to have a dual installation of 0.4.3 and CVS (to keep playing the one and at the same time previewing the nifty features of the other *g*)

I tinkered around with Shell variables a bit, 'till I realized, that the path most probably is built into the binaries somewhere.

So... is it sufficient to change $DATAPATH to /opt/vegastrike_cvs? Seemingly not - there is no option passed to the configure-script further down. But where then exactly do I have to edit?

*confused as to why this project does not use "configure && make && make install"* :roll:
Cyberfrag
CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

I would think that should work. If not, you can always try just moving the vs install dir out of /usr/local/share

As for the precompiled, my experience has been that it just installs into $HOME/vegastrike/ if you run the installer as your user, not root (and, I think root installs to /root).
cyberfrag
Trader
Trader

Post by cyberfrag »

CoffeeBot wrote:I would think that should work. If not, you can always try just moving the vs install dir out of /usr/local/share
AFAICS the binaries are copied, not symlinked to /usr/local/bin. As computers tend to know things only when told, I suppose the path to the data files (i.e. /usr/local/share/vegastrike/data) is hardcoded in some way, making the executable unusable when the data is moved. Well, at least unless there is some magick involved that I do not see.
CoffeeBot wrote:As for the precompiled, my experience has been that it just installs into $HOME/vegastrike/ if you run the installer as your user, not root (and, I think root installs to /root).
I'm not having any problems with the precompiled version - that works fine. As for the different dirs: since the precompiled version DOES make symlinks instead of copying the executable, I suppose the executable uses relative paths in that case.

Any suggestions?

CU
Cyberfrag
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

In my experience, the data directory is the only thing really hardcoded. You can adjust this by passing the "--with-data-dir=/some/path" option to 'configure'. So put the data directory where you want VS to reside, point to it with 'configure', and build.

After that, the only thing you need from the build tree is the src/vegastrike binary and the src/networking/soundserver binary. Put those both in the data directory's 'bin' directory. Then you should be good to go.
cyberfrag
Trader
Trader

Post by cyberfrag »

thanks, that seems to be just what I was looking for :)

CU
Cyberfrag