GCC version?

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

GCC version?

Post by Wisq »

Which GCC version is best for compiling CVS? In particular, which one do the main programmers use to compile their code?

I've been using 3.4, but just hit a snag on the latest CVS. I'll go back at it tonight and post here if I can't figure out what's wrong, but as I recall, if I compiled without any --enable-boost-* options, I got a segfault in g++ itself, and if I compiled with --enable-boost-128, I got a syntax error somewhere.

I'm happy enough to just use the "best" GCC for the job and leave the GCC-compatibility testing to others, since my own goal is to write and test the compiled code, not try to work around my compiler. ;)
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

Okaaaay... it seems to be random or something. Sometimes I can build fine. Other times, I get segfaults.

The build log is pretty big, and phpBB won't let me attach files because the filename box has a maxlength=0, so the various logs are available here.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

IIRC, the newest (I think it's 132) boost version corrects those issues. Someone should get around to switching versions. I, honestly, don't dare touch boost. I can't understand a single line of that thing, but I've heared it shouldn't take much more than a couple of hours to do the switch.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

That would be good, because even pulling out GCC 3.3 also crashes. And the last time I tried 4.0, things were not good. ;)
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

Seems with 3.4, if I just keep trying, it gets further and further and eventually finishes. :)

So here I am doing 'until make; do true; done' . . . ;)
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

I've switched over to GCC 4.01. Compiles just fine. ICC did too, but heaven's sake it took forever :D
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

Yay. I'll try out GCC4 this weekend. (Debian calls it 4.0.1, but maybe that's 4.01, I dunno. Long as it works.)

How does the GCC-build versus ICC-build performance stack up? I heard GCC4 was almost on par with ICC, and that was a year ago.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Yeah

Post by loki1950 »

I got it to compile today to but when i run it it does not find the universe.xml file so it craps out witch means i don't have things in the right palces neah? So
any proters to right thresd to sort this out I whainn play!!
I'll keep fiddleing I may luck out if so I post.
I lucked out :D looks lusher like the new upgrade screen so now to play 8)
So offline for now :!: :!:
Hope sourceforge speeds up soon 2 min to load a page is frustratinng :x
O well is their toy
Enjoy the Choice
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

move the vegastrike and soundserver binaries into teh data4.x/ directory, or in the data4.x/bin directory (whichever you want) :-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

Or just hard-code it with --with-data-dir at build time like I do.

BTW, GCC 4 works fine, yes. Hopefully, with GCC 4, optimisations, and -march=i686, I should get eveen better performance.

Is there a reason we don't use -O3 for --enable-release? Does it break something? I'll try building with it once I'm done building my just-in-case debug version (in the background while I play, of course).
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

BTW, it turns out my original problem may have been caused by a failing single bit of my RAM. Thankfully, given that I run Linux, I can patch around it.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Wisq wrote:How does the GCC-build versus ICC-build performance stack up? I heard GCC4 was almost on par with ICC, and that was a year ago.
My observations are very informal of course[/disclaimer] FPS was higher with ICC, until a lot of polys (like a refinery) started appearing on screen, when it dropped pretty bad. It was enough to be noticeable, so I wasn't really too impressed.

Add to that the 8x as long to compile (at least) and it wasn't really worth it for me.
Wisq
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Wisq »

Cool, good to know. Guess ICC still has its quirks. GCC does seem to be getting continually better... though it's not entirely surprising, given that I've heard nothing but good things about their development style.