GTK compilation issue: what to do?

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
GreatBunzinni
Explorer
Explorer

GTK compilation issue: what to do?

Post by GreatBunzinni »

I am trying to install Vegastrike via CVS but unfortunately, the compiling stops when it stumbles on an error. The error message is that it can't find the GTK header (gtk/gtk.h). The thing is, I have all the GTK libraries already installed and present in /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h.

So, what do I have to do to be able to compile? Is there some environment variable that I need to set?

Thanks in advance
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

if you want the launcher then you will need to have gtk+ and its devel libraries installed too, not just gtk2 :-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You need gtk-1.2 and gtk-1.2-devel, not gtk-2.0

But you can safely ignore those errors, since it gets there after it finishes compiling vegastrike and soundserver.

Now, all you have to do is run vegastrike from the vegastrike/src directory.

If you want music and stuff, I find it easiest to symlink into your data dir
ln -s /path/to/vegastrike/src/vegastrike vegastrike
ln -s /path/to/vegastrike/src/networking/soundserver soundserver

If you want to continue, you might also try "make -k" instead of "make"
The "-k" lets it continue if there's an error.

I'm not sure why the configure script doesn't find that, but perhaps it doesn't tell the difference between gtk1.2 and gtk2.x
balloyd1
Trader
Trader

Configure broken

Post by balloyd1 »

Actually, configure didn't do any checks for GTK at all. I have a fix for this, which will stop the compile failures. However, it will require GTK 1.2 to be installed. I am reworking the configure script so that it is more modular, so we can make dependency changes easier (such as adding OGRE for rendering), but the current system is a mess. No wonder no one wanted to tackle fixing it up...

Right now everything gets lumped together, so it is hard to tell what needs each part, and what is no longer used at all. This is also fun in that it is very easy to break alternate configurations, and people just don't like it when you do that.

I always did like headaches. :)

EDIT: I ran into the same problem as the poster, and I decided to fix configure instead of just getting the GTK 1.2 library.