Problem during make: Kubuntu, GCC 4.0.0

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
GreatBunzinni
Explorer
Explorer

Problem during make: Kubuntu, GCC 4.0.0

Post by GreatBunzinni »

I was trying to install vegastrike from CVS after a previous experience with the loki version, which couldn't run vegastrike --setup (libstdc problem).

So, everything ran smoothly until the make process. Here is the last portion of the make log:
<message>
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1 -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1 -DHAVE_AL=1 -DHAVE_OGG -I/usr/include/python2.4 -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -DUSE_BOOST_131=1 -I../../../src/boost129 -I../../../src -pipe -O2 -ffast-math -falign-loops=2 -falign-jumps=2 -falign-functions=2 -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -pthread -pipe -c firekeyboard.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/python2.4/Python.h:8,
from ../../../src/python/python_class.h:3,
from ../../../src/cmd/unit.cpp:49,
from ../../../src/cmd/unit.h:264,
from ../../../src/cmd/planet.h:10,
from firekeyboard.cpp:13:
/usr/include/python2.4/pyconfig.h:832:1: warning: "_POSIX_C_SOURCE" redefined
In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.0.0/../../../../include/c++/4.0.0/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bits/os_defines.h:39,
from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.0.0/../../../../include/c++/4.0.0/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bits/c++config.h:35,
from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.0.0/../../../../include/c++/4.0.0/bits/stl_algobase.h:64,
from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.0.0/../../../../include/c++/4.0.0/bits/stl_tree.h:66,
from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.0.0/../../../../include/c++/4.0.0/set:65,
from firekeyboard.cpp:1:
/usr/include/features.h:131:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from ../../../src/boost129/boost/config.hpp:35,
from ../../../src/boost129/boost/python/detail/config.hpp:15,
from ../../../src/boost129/boost/python/detail/prefix.hpp:14,
from ../../../src/boost129/boost/python/object.hpp:9,
from ../../../src/python/python_class.h:16,
from ../../../src/cmd/unit.cpp:49,
from ../../../src/cmd/unit.h:264,
from ../../../src/cmd/planet.h:10,
from firekeyboard.cpp:13:
../../../src/boost129/boost/config/compiler/gcc.hpp:92:7: warning: #warning "Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results"
../../../src/gfx/aux_texture.h:35: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
make[4]: *** [firekeyboard.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/rui/software/vegastrike_cvs_head/vegastrike/src/cmd/ai'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rui/software/vegastrike_cvs_head/vegastrike/src/cmd'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rui/software/vegastrike_cvs_head/vegastrike/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rui/software/vegastrike_cvs_head/vegastrike'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
Error running 'make'
</message>

So, what's wrong with this? Is this another CVS error or a problem with my computer?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

[quote=gcc-4.0.0]../../../src/gfx/aux_texture.h:35: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token[/quote]

I haven't tried to compile vs with 4.0.0, but I'm sure your distro keeps at least 3.3 or 3.4 around for compatibility, since 4.0 is so new. It would be strange if 3.4 didn't work.

I can't say why it's giving that error there, since there is a class name in that spot.

Maybe part of the problem is from Boost complaining. You can try downloading the latest Boost version and placing it in the VS source tree as "boost129" but I'm not sure if that would help at all.
GreatBunzinni
Explorer
Explorer

Post by GreatBunzinni »

Well, I opted for the "easy" way out. I removed GCC 4.0.0 and tried to compile it with GCC 3.4.3. Let's see how it goes.

Thanks anyway
GreatBunzinni
Explorer
Explorer

Post by GreatBunzinni »

Well, it works. I'm having so much fun playing it that I forgot to post a followup.

Keep up the good work :D