What exactly do I compile?

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Explorer
Explorer

What exactly do I compile?

Post by ObsessiveMathsFreak »

OK. I'm a linux user on a dialup modem who really wants to get into vegastrike, with an eye to maybe start programming for it. My problem is simple. I don't know where to begin. I've never used CVS,(I know what it is though) and in any case I'm on a dialup, and a 160MB+ download would be impossible without download resuming of some kind. Does CVS do this? And is the Linux shell installer some kind of CVS link?

What I have done is gotten the 0.4.1 gcc RPMS, the data and music RPMS and a source RPM? But what am I supposed to do with all this? Would I be better off with just getting into CVS now? Can I use CVS over a dialup?

In any event, I'd really like to try the game? Is it possible with these downloaded files:
linux_vegastrike-0.4.2.sh
vegastrike-0.4.1-gcc3.2_1.i386.rpm
vegastrike-0.4.1-gcc3.2_1.src.rpm
vegastrike-data-0.4.1D-1.noarch.rpm
vegastrike-music-0.4.1-1.noarch.rpm

P.S.
I'm using Fedora Core 3 and I know c++. I'd really love to start programming on this project. Where's the documentation?

P.P.S.
Sorry for the flurry of questions. I'm very lost.
Space Pirate
Mercenary
Mercenary

Files

Post by Space Pirate »

You don't need any of the RPM's. Just run linux_vegastrike-0.4.2.sh . It will download the files on to your computer and then start compiling. You might also want to grab the CVS version by downloading the "Development Linux Release 0.4.2" script at the bottom of the "Files" part of this web site.

Enjoy! :lol:
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

Oooh a coder who's interested in development :-)

unfortunately docs for this project are rather sparse...but we can discuss your specialty and I'm sure I can find just the project for you to start on :-)

First of course a good idea is to get it compiling and I strongly recommend you download the development linux release so you can stay in sync with CVS

you can also create a sourceforge.net account once we figure out a project for you so you can commit directly to the tree...
welcome to our community :-) I'm sure it'll be a long and happy stay
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

I haven't looked at that script for getting cvs, but there are instructions for getting the CVS version manually here: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=19507

CVS can be used over a modem. It basically keeps track of all the source files and makes sure you have the latest. It downloads them one at a time (so no giant single file download), and if your connection breaks, you can checkout again and it should pick up where it left off.