Can't compile CVS On OS X 10.3

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

did you do
./configure --enable-release

?that turns on optimizations
I'm using an older compiler, so with that you should get an edge over my build

of course I choose compatability over 10% speed any day of my life
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
JunkDNA
Merchant
Merchant

Post by JunkDNA »

Oops, no, I missed that one. I'll give it a go.

I've also noticed that, for the CVS version, the configure script has been failing since (I think) last Sunday. diff tells me that there are some changes to configure.in along the lines of:

353c351
< CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes"
---
> CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes"

Is this likely to be the culprit, and if so, will copying in an older version of configure.in fix it?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

yes... however the ideal solution is to install the OS X 10.2 SDK--but ya the older config.in should do it--I unfortunately need this to make a cross platform version
arvidtp

Patchwork Binary

Post by arvidtp »

hellcatv wrote:just built you folks a nice new mac binary...should work fine... in the package just right click on the binary, click view contents, then click contents then MacOS and then there's the binary--copy that into data4.x/bin
and you won't need SDL or anything to run it ;-)
hey, I just made got a working copy of vegastrike on Mac OS 10.3.6 using that binary and the data from CVS. Really enjoying the new stuff added since v 4.1! It's great!

Only two problems: as you guys say, there is no config program for mac - and I could not build it from CVS (I know so little about this stuff - never successfully compiled anything...sniff... I am a musician, not a programmer...). And Vegastrike crashes on launch if I use my old vegastrike.config file from 4.1. So I am stuck in windowed mode (no full screen!). How can I right this? Or how can I successfully compile the config program? (I know about X11 and whatnot - I use openoffice - I just can't figure out how compile it myself).

Also, the music does not work. Then i noticed there is no music in the CVS. So I tried copying the music directory from 4.1. No dice. Terminal says (among other things)

Code: Select all

MISSION_NAME is empty usingUnable to spawn music player server
Anyway, I tried moving the vegastike.config file created by the config software for Privateer remake to ~/.vegastike, and that got me into full screen, but the game began behaving like privateer remake (which by the way looks cool except that the first bar i went into, I got stuck in - no button to get out, had to force-quit).

The stuff that pops up in the terminal when I launch vegastrike is here in case that helps:

http://files.arvidtp.net/VS_launch.txt

So just curious how I can get these two things working. Thanks! Awesome game - Is the game in need of any new sound effects, or weird "alien" music? Because I could maybe contribute some original stuff.[/code]
hazard
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hazard »

Ok-I did that-and it worked ONCE

now every time I do the ./vegastrike thing it does a whole bunch of loading, then abruptly ends (where it would normally load the game and bring me to my ship) it instead does:

"Panic exit - mission file mission/explore_universe.mission not found"

in my terminal (minus the quotes)

why?

I've tried deleting my ~/.vegastrike folder, and it does the same thing. I hadn't tried running it before on this computer, and it worked so I ran the 0.4.1 version of the setup utility to change the resolution and graphical settings to something this iBook might be able to handle /w a framerate (it dosen't have very much ram). Now no matter what I do it gives me that error.

I got it to work ONCE , and it worked ok (the descriptions and everything appeared to be there (the shipyard thing contained USEFULL information YAY!), but now it won't.

and if its because I'm trying to use the old setup utility, how can I configure it to go at 800x600 windowed insead of full screen? (by default it wants to do 1024x768 windowed, but I like it better smaller (on both my tower and my laptop-since I'm only trying it on my laptop out of boredome, and not being at home-I don't care as much about the details)

Sorry to be so annoying (and possibly fooling into you that I was able to get it to work..............I've been busy at home and haven't been playing much of anything)

EDITED FOR SEVERE VIRAL TYPO INFECTION

EDIT(#2)
OK, now I'm confused, now it appears to work again (I deleted the .vegastrike folder again-and didn't use the old utility).

So How can I configure it not to run at 1024x768? (and instead run at 800x600 or something?, and how can I tell the game not to play music, and use 1024MB ram on my tower?) Is there a newer version of the setup utility that I don't know about? (probably not), or is there some way the old one will work with the new version of the game I'm not aware of?
Yea...I'm a terrible pilot too...I crash into stations-that's my docking procedure.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

looked like you were using an old vegastrike.config that directed VS to use the old mission/explore_universe.mission instead of the new explore_universe.mission

another hting: to change the rez just edit vegastrike.config in your data dir ... it's a simple text file :-) you can change rez by editing the x_resolution and y_resolution XML vars
hazard
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hazard »

could you explain that in terms an idiot could an understand?

i looked though the config file...it made my head hurt.

I don't know where I'd ad such a thing!

:roll:
Yea...I'm a terrible pilot too...I crash into stations-that's my docking procedure.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

it's a lot like HTML

you see something

<var name="x_resolution" value="1024"/>
<var name="y_resolution" value="768"/>

change this to whatever you like maybe higher maybe lower

you may see a lot of those... if you can't understand, then change each of them--can't hurt

otherwise if you understand XML comments only change the uncommented ones
JunkDNA
Merchant
Merchant

Post by JunkDNA »

hellcatv wrote:did you do
./configure --enable-release

?that turns on optimizations
Curiously, this didn't make a great deal of difference to the frame rate (as reported top right of the screen). However compling without SDL brings the rate back up. Is this to be expected or do I have a messed up SDL installation (SDL 1.2.7 installed via fink)?

Not huge a problem as such, just a bit odd.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

for mac's I've only been able to get it working using glut and not SDL

there seems to be no disadvantage to use glut over SDL on macs