cvs installer - no .configure file !

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
frague

cvs installer - no .configure file !

Post by frague »

:shock:
Hy,

I discovered VegaStrike on OpenGL website, and after on VS website, and I would play with it... So I download the Linux Installer : after 2H of DL with on a CVS tree, script dies.

Ok, lets do it by hand : then I see no .configure in vegastrike folder, and the install procedure (enclosed in INSTALL file) tells to use it...

I think it's realy a good idea to make a real OpenSource game, but is it possible to do pretty installer ?

I use a Mandrake 10.0 Linux.

Cheers to all

frague
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Rather than complain about the installer not working, please post some output as well as what you did when it happened.

The installer should not dowload the data again if it is already there, and if it starts doing that, just hit ctrl-c and run ./linux_vegastrike-0.4.2.sh --help to have it do a specific task.

But again, I can't really help you if I don't know what the error is or when it happened, so please copy the last screen or two of output. (run it again if you need to)

Also, you complain about a lack of a pretty installer, but it takes time to do this as well as a risk that the user won't be able to run it because he doesn't have ncurses installed or because his distro doesn't have the dialog utility.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

we're working on a nice linux binary--should help placate you--just don't have time to release it At the moment--will do soon
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Re: cvs installer - no .configure file !

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

frague wrote:Ok, lets do it by hand : then I see no .configure in vegastrike folder
make -f Makefile.cvs should create ./configure for you
martin
Hunter
Hunter

Post by martin »

That line should be mentioned in INSTALL. I keep stumbling on how to generate configure every time as well.

Post by Guest »

you don't have to do it like this.
Makefile.cvs calls just standard procedure of running the GNU Autotools. of course, you can do this by hand :lol:

you will have to run the autotools for nearly every project distributed over cvs. :arrow: learn about it!

(of course it couldn't do any harm if this was mentioned in the INSTALL file. :wink: )

Post by Guest »

or someone could put an autogen.sh file into the repository to call these tools :?: