[configure] build in optimization params?

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).

[configure] build in optimization params?

Post by Guest »

Hello,

i'm just compiling VegaStrike from CVS and am wondering what the "--enable-release" parameter exactly does?

And are there any general optimization parameter (non platform/etc related) to use?
Or any other parameters known to enhance the speed of the game (no pun intended ;) ).

Thanks
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

From configure.in:
configure.in wrote:AC_ARG_ENABLE(release, AC_HELP_STRING([--enable-release], [Produce an executable with optimizations]), [VS_CXXFLAGS="${VS_CXXFLAGS} -O2 -ffast-math"])
So in other words it just adds -O2 -ffast-math to the optimization flags making it go faster. The only reason not to have those is when you are debugging. It sometimes makes the code go in strange places or skip lines.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

you can only get negligible speed increases using these flags (although I find it enough to make it worthwhile for the playable binary (this only gets made infrequently....as I test more often then I play :-) )

The best increase comes from rerouting all command line output to a file instead of the console.....especially since I use gterm.....which is *so* slow at rendering stuff (although it significantly faster in fedora core 2 than it was in rh9 :-) )....

see this thread for instructions: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... highlight=

Dan.a
Hoehrer

Post by Hoehrer »

dandandaman wrote:you can only get negligible speed increases using these flags (although I find it enough to make it worthwhile for the playable binary (this only gets made infrequently....as I test more often then I play :-) )
Ok, i will just stick with this parameters.
Thanks.
The best increase comes from rerouting all command line output to a file instead of the console.....especially since I use gterm.....which is *so* slow at rendering stuff (although it significantly faster in fedora core 2 than it was in rh9 :-) )....

see this thread for instructions: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... highlight=

Dan.a
I use this method with nearly every program i start in a terminal:
For Vegastrike i just use this (same as in the other thread):

Code: Select all

./vegastrike-bin >stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt
And i think minimising the terminal should work too, but i'm not sure about that.

Werner