project file version

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

project file version

Post by pincushionman »

I would like to compile Vegastrike. I CVS'd vega-vc7 since I have Visual Studio .NET.

Problem.

The .sln and .vcproj in that package are for Visual Studio 7.1 (.NET 2003) not Visual Studio 7.0 (.NET 2002). As you can guess, I have Visual Studio 7.0, and cannot open these files.

What is the difference between the two projects? Should I just download vega-proj instead? Can I open vega-proj files in Visual Studio .NET? Or can I have someone send me those files saved as 7.0 format?

Thanks again for your help.

-pincushionman
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

Visual Studio 7.0 cannot compile Vega Strike because it does not support partial template specialization and it also does have support the bug that lets the old boost work in gcc-2.95 and vc6.0 (vc7.0 is not a C++ compiler...it only compiles a very small fraction of C++...)

so no point in making the project work if the game won't compile

I hear MS offers the 7.1 express as a package to try out...there are some configure files in CVS that attempt to judge the appropriate configuration for VC7.1 express or you could try building directly the project file from the command line

or obtain 7.1 by whatever means you choose
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by pincushionman »

I think I understood about --> <-- of that. Except that Visual Studio .NET = not appropriate for compiling Vega Strike, and Visual Studio .NET 2003 = good.

I'll have to get Visual Studio .NET 2003 (I'm almost positive it's the 7.1 version), but I won't be able to obtain it until late August because I don't live at Purdue anymore, and I have to convince my fiancee to "help me out" by actually buying it...'cause I don't qualify under the MSCA anymore and she does...

Anyway, in the meantime,

Does Visual Studio 7.0 open and compile the files in Vega-proj (the 6.x stuff) properly? Or do I have to uninstall .NET and reload Visual Studio 6.0 Pro (which I do still have) to compile the vega-proj files? I'm getting the impression I need to do the latter.

thanks again, everybody!

-pincushionman
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

VC 6 and VC 7 (or at least 7.1) can in my experience live together on the same computer (I have both installed). There shouldn't be a reason to uninstall (unless you are in need of hard drive space)
hellcatv wrote:Visual Studio 7.0 cannot compile Vega Strike because it does not support partial template specialization and it also does have support the bug that lets the old boost work in gcc-2.95 and vc6.0 (vc7.0 is not a C++ compiler...it only compiles a very small fraction of C++...)
Vega strike uses a library called boost which allows python scripts to use C++ classes. Unfortunately, boost relies heavily on complicated template code which many compilers have trouble using.
The boost library was able to get around both limitations in vc6 in boost v. 1.28 and also get it to compile in vc 7.1 (which has good support for templates) in boost 1.29+. But vc 7.0 aparently does not have the workaround that allows boost 1.28 to work on old compilers and does not support enough of c++ to allow later versions to work either.

So in other words use VC6 unless you can somehow work around the errors somehow when using vc 7.0 with the vega-proj project and still have a working boost when you are done.