Compilation report on latest debian testing

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
Str
Explorer
Explorer

Compilation report on latest debian testing

Post by Str »

Hi guys, long time no see :)

I'm running a freshly installed and consequently up to date debian testing system and I noticed the following problems with libavformat:

1. The file src/gfx/vid_file.cpp contains references to functions named av_close_input_file, av_find_stream_info and av_codec_open. Apparently, these functions are deprecated in the version of libavformat which I am running. I had to replace these by appropriate calls to functions named avformat_close_input, avformat_find_stream_info and avcodec_open2 respectively. Also, the struct AVstream does no longer support the attribute "r_frame_rate"; I noticed that it contains "avg_frame_rate" now, so I replaced the r_frame_rate by avg_frame_rate. After this, vid_file.cpp compiled.

2. The file src/ffmpeg_init.cpp uses the struct URLContext which apparently is a part of the internals of libavformat now and declared in libavformat/url.h. After some searching, I noticed that it is declared in libavformat/avio.h in apparently older versions of libavformat, for instance here: https://www.ffmpeg.org/doxygen/0.6/avio_8h-source.html
The avio.h file on my system does not declare URLContext, so compiling failed at that point. After seeing this and realising that there is no easy solution to this short of a manual install of an older libavformat version, I just deleted #define HAVE_FFMPEG from my config.h. My libavformat/version.h says:

Code: Select all

#include "libavutil/version.h"

#define LIBAVFORMAT_VERSION_MAJOR 55
#define LIBAVFORMAT_VERSION_MINOR 12
#define LIBAVFORMAT_VERSION_MICRO  0

Apart from this, I did not run into any problems. Vegastrike runs absolutely fine and smoothly on my system (Intel core i5 4200U, two cpus, 1.6 GHz with turbo boost up to 2.6 GHz, Nvidia Geforce 750M with optirun / bumblebee and the proprietary Nvidia drivers, 8 GB RAM) on high settings, 16:9. The i5 4200U also contains an integrated Intel HD 4400 GPU, which still manages to play the game mostly smoothly, although some textures for the gasplanets in Bernard's Star look a bit muddier (but it might be that I noticed this phenomen at a point in time when I didn't play the game in high settings, because I accidentally ran vssetup first when I as logged in as root), which looks really great on the 750M.

The only minor issue I ran into when playing the game which is so trivial that it doesn't warrant another post was a crash of the python missions files when jumping to Bernard's Star after accepting the campaign mission offered by "The Hauler". Turns out that in the method directions_mission.findUnit we have the following:

Code: Select all

def findUnit(self, name):
        i = VS.getUnitList()
        un = i.current()
        while (not i.isDone()):
            if testun.getName().lower()==name.lower() or testun.getFullname().lower()==name.lower():
                return testun
            testun = i.next()
        i = VS.getUnitList()
        un = i.current()
        while (not i.isDone()):
            if testun.isDockableUnit():
                return testun
            testun = i.next()
        return VS.getUnit(0)
So changing testun to un fixed the crash.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Compilation report on latest debian testing

Post by loki1950 »

Thx for the report ffmpeg is not critical ATM there is no content that uses it though there are some new comm animations in the pipe waiting for a commit to svn.I notice no mention of mesher our mesh cmdline utility I had a few issues building it with the latest Ogre3D.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2