cygwin python packages

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

cygwin python packages

Post by pontiac »

Silverain wrote:Hi again, back to bug you - my apologies!

Don't know if you've been following my Help forum thread re CVS, but it seems the end result is that I'm missing python-devel package. Now as far as I can tell, cygwin download does not have this package. I was wondering if you could check and confirm this if possible.

I'm either blind and can't see the package to download, or it has to be acquired elsewhere. And if elsewhere I'll track that down.

NB: when you updated the wiki page, I noticed you didn't record python-devel location like you did the others. I'm curious, do you have the package from a previous incarnation of cygwin?
That's one thing i've completely forgotten since i never did download the python-devel again.
You are right it isn't on any of the official cygwin server, i got them from somewhere else.... though i can't remember from which location :(

The good thing is (using my gift of prophecy ;-) ) that i uploaded the packages to the vs webspace a Sourceforge, so you can download them "as is" and use this directory as install source.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... es/python/

After that just get sure you do not update phyton when installing rfom the normal cygwin mirrors.

HTH
Pontiac
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

so you can download them "as is" and use this directory as install source
OK, downloaded them to a local drive, but they saved as xxx.tar.tar not xxx.tar.bz2 is this a problem?

next - installing.

I need to be in cygwin box to do the install?
Could you provide the syntax of the install function? I'm not sure what to do here, and not sure where to install to?

Thanks in advance
Silverain

(boy, figuring this out to do a wiki for idiots is hard when you have no idea what you're doing! Hopefully, I can repeat everything I've done and put a guide together :) )
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

Silverain wrote:
so you can download them "as is" and use this directory as install source
OK, downloaded them to a local drive, but they saved as xxx.tar.tar not xxx.tar.bz2 is this a problem?
Just rename them to the filenames like in the directory above.
next - installing.

I need to be in cygwin box to do the install?
No, you can use the cygwin installer (i think it is setup.exe) and give it the directory you downloaded the files to as source.
The only thing you have to do is to make the directory look exactly as shown in the url above (including the ini file).
(boy, figuring this out to do a wiki for idiots is hard when you have no idea what you're doing! Hopefully, I can repeat everything I've done and put a guide together :) )
I have done it already, but i can't reproduce it (the compile actually) anymore :(

Pontiac
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Hmm, pontiac the files you uploaded appear to be the 'normal' package only, not a development version. Reason - naming is the same for the cygwin normal version except for version ref.

I would have thought the devel package would be named with devel, like autoconf-devel.

Anyway, using cygwin setup, it only identifies the src file for v2.2 anyway. Bin file just shows as n/a (irrespective of whether I have v2.3 installed, or uninstalled, if I remove v2.3 files completely, the cygwin install python option doesn't appear at all).

Any thoughts?
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Silverain wrote:Hmm, pontiac the files you uploaded appear to be the 'normal' package only, not a development version. Reason - naming is the same for the cygwin normal version except for version ref.

I would have thought the devel package would be named with devel, like autoconf-devel.
Maybe i mixed som3ething up here, but i needed this packages to make vegastrike compile at all (python 2.3 didn't work). ... i still can't reproduce it tought.

Isn't the ....src package the devel one?
Any thoughts?
Unfortunalely not :(

Pontiac