Compiling with VC++ 6.0

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
MOD
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Compiling with VC++ 6.0

Post by MOD »

Well, I've tried compiling the CVS source using Microsuxx Visual C++ 6.0, I know that was a bad idea :D. So after removing LOTS of minor strange "errors", for example: for some reasons it didn't like "cout<<(something)<<endl;" so I've replaced it with "\n", linker gave me a list of apr. 260 "unresolved external symbols". Like that one:
"unit_wrapper.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "class _STL::basic_string<char,class _STL::char_traits<char>,class _STL::allocator<char> > __cdecl UniverseUtil::getSubVariable(class _STL::basic_string<char,class _STL::char_traits<char>,
class _STL::allocator<char> >,class _STL::basic_string<char,class _STL::char_traits<char>,class _STL::allocator<char> >,class _STL::basic_string<char,class _STL::char_traits<char>,class _STL::allocator<char> >,class _STL::basic_string<char,class _ST
L::char_traits<char>,class _STL::allocator<char> >)" (?getSubVariable@UniverseUtil@@YA?AV?$basic_string@DV?$char_traits@D@_STL@@V?$allocator@D@2@@_STL@@V23@000@Z)"
Dont you think it's A BIT strange?
And why is it blaming STL for all of this?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

what project file are using

Use vega-proj not vega-new-proj

I use vc++6 and it works fine for me.
MOD
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

VC++6

Post by MOD »

In fact I was using vega-proj!
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

What types of errors are these?

Try opening up the networking folder on ProjectView and right click on the lowlevel folder and click "Add files to folder" and browse to vegastrike\src\networking\lowlevel. (you probably have to click up one level). Select all of the files.

see if that fixes any errors

Also, I hate to say it, but if you start getting a lot of wierd errors after making a few changes, try a rebuild all.
MOD
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MOD »

The errors during the compiling process were connected with "endl" object, the compiler didn't like it for some reasons, other said something about missing classes (in network modules), but including the headers directly into the cpp solved the problem, then there were some more strange errors connected with "iostream.h" that led to errors in other standart headers. And during the linking, the first of them said that "LIBC" library is conflicting with others, so I placed it to the ignore list.

I added all the files from network\lowlevel folder, but still lots of errors. I think that the problem is in IDE(Visual C++) or some libraries, that are linking with the project, for example - the new STLport, that I use instead of standart Microsoft STL. Well rebuilding the whole project is a radical thing indeed. But the next thing (after rebuilding) I'll try compiling it directly using command line, maybe that will help. Thanks anyway!
MOD
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MOD »

I have finaly suceeded compiling it! But with VC++7.0 using vega-proj project files. Now I think VC++6.0 really suxx! All that's left to do is to download CVS data.4x files!!! :evil: But again thanks for your help!
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

vc7 should have used vega-vc7 module.
And I still don't know why the vc6 doesn't work. I use it all the time for vegastrike.
MOD
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MOD »

Yes, it's strange indeed! Compiling with vc7 project didn't end well also, because I have Visual Studio 7.0 and your's is made for 7.10. There were lots of different errors, so it didn't work.
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

yah, i do believe 7.0 was out for only a super short time too, and 7.1 came out, and i think there was a patch for 7 -> 7.1 for free as an update...
but amusingly, the only version you can get off of kazaa is 7.0 :)

-scheherazade
MOD
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MOD »

I have one more stupid question: is binary compiled from CVS sources supposed to run with release version data :?:
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

MOD wrote:I have one more stupid question: is binary compiled from CVS sources supposed to run with release version data :?:
I don't think so. IRCC the data structure has changed after the last release (of better MOD support)
So the paths to the data will be wrong.

Pontiac
oligo
Merchant
Merchant

version 0.3.9 ?

Post by oligo »

2 days ago, I checked out the /vegastrike/vegastrike and /vegastrike/vega-proj modules.
I added the /lowlevel missing files (thx ace123) into the project and got the whole compiled with VC6 :-) (I thought it would be harder). But the generated exe was 0.3.9.0, as stated in the /vegastrike/resources.rc file.

Here is my question: which version am I really compiling ? 0.3.9 ? or is the resources.rc not up to date ?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

oops :oops: forgot to commit the .rc file. Oh well.

You can change it yourself if it makes you happier -- I'm too lazy to go back into windows to commit it. The source is actually newer.