Again the red square...

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Again the red square...

Post by shenle »

Still not having a working solution for running VS in Win7/64 on my laptop with ATI HD3200 video.

I think we can safely flag the problem as related to the 64-bit Windows drivers for this particular card. The latest revs of the svn code don't crash anymore as they used to (is it the code that changed or is it that the latest updates I installed resolved some conflict? We'll never know)

However, it doesn't run properly. The game window displays a solid red, and in task manager the process takes 50% of the CPU, which means it uses up one core completely - normal I assume. Also takes about 220M of memory. It does appear that the game engine is running underneath since by clicking at random over the red area - I can't even see a mouse pointer - I was able once to bring up a screen that displayed the background story text with light red characters on dark red background... and with something that looked like a square mouse cursor, slightly darker red than the background overlayed on top... So I think it's a driver problem, but unfortunately none of the available drivers work.

I think the combination of ATI HD3xxx + 64-bit windows drivers should just be marked as borked. Which is unfortunate, because on the same hardware VS works fine in 64-bit Ubuntu. :)
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Again the red square...

Post by klauss »

If we could pinpoint which draw calls aren't working as expected, it would help a lot.

If the main menu doesn't work, then we're in deep trouble: the main menu uses mostly basic OpenGL, and if that ain't working, we have a slim chance of getting it fixed.

But it might be workable from SDL - perhaps SDL sets up the GL context wrong in win64?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
log0

Post by log0 »

game window displays a solid red
A stupid question. Are you getting the red screen also with gl_accelerated_visual disabled + latest exe? http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... &start=105
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

log0 wrote:
game window displays a solid red
A stupid question. Are you getting the red screen also with gl_accelerated_visual disabled + latest exe? http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... &start=105
Whaddayaknow. That did it. I was trying in vain to look for that variable until I realized it's not in the config file by default and has to be added in.

However I have discovered last evening that the latest binary won't run at all on a Win7/64 desktop with a nvidia card. Stay tuned...
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.