Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Compiling

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
owen_a
Explorer
Explorer

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Compiling

Post by owen_a »

Hello,

I've installed VC++ 2005 and Microsoft Platform SDK and I also have DirectX SDK 2009 / 2007 installed on my computer. When I've come to compile vegastrike in this directory:

\vega-vc7

Because I've got alot of errors, I've uploaded 2 Build Logs for you. :D Below are the 2 Log Files.

There's 375 Errors in this one: http://www.filefront.com/17310859/BuildLog375 errors.htm

3 Errors in this one: http://www.filefront.com/17310860/BuildLog 3 errors.htm

Can anybody help me out? I would really like to be able to compile VegaStrike :D

- Owen
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Re: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Compiling

Post by ace123 »

375?! That file shows only one:
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'wsock32.lib'
Results
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Projects\vegastrike\VegaStrike\vegastrike___Win32_Debug_GLUT\BuildLog.htm"
vegastrike - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

wsock32 is a standard windows library, so it is in the platform SDK. This error means that your platform SDK is not installed properly in visual studio--specifically the Library Directories. I don't know enough about windows to tell you how to fix it. Perhaps a google search for wsock32.lib may help, but it only shows one error at a time, so you'll probably encounter another missing lib after that.

The soundserver project isn't used any more, so don't worry about that (the one you called "3 errors")

Be prepared to solve other linker errors that you might encounter (missing/extra files)--the compile can often be broken since it is hard to keep all versions of the project synced.
owen_a
Explorer
Explorer

Post by owen_a »

Ah.... Thanks for that. I've looked in my C++ Dirs, and it all the Directorys Seem to be ok for Platform SDK.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Not sure how to help you then. The error message indicates that it can't find wsock32.lib, so I guess just do whatever you can to make it find that file. Have you tried searching your whole computer for that? It must be somewhere--that's a standard built-in windows library. Many programs won't work without it.

Though I would only suggest copying it as a last resort, since it will almost certainly start nagging you about another one... and another one... and so on until you've copied 50 .lib's.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Maybe you need a 64 bit version of the libraries?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
owen_a
Explorer
Explorer

Post by owen_a »

I'm running 32Bit though?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Huh... then take a real good look at what ace123 says. VS isn't finding a few standard libraries, it means VS (Visual Studio) isn't properly configured.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe