Make error, nobody lists it anywhere.

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
OMG_theGreenRanger
Explorer
Explorer

Make error, nobody lists it anywhere.

Post by OMG_theGreenRanger »

Howdy folks.

Trying to compile the executable so I can give Vega Trek a shot. Got the most recent SVN, and after going through all the compiles, this is the error it spits out:

Code: Select all

src/gldrv/gl_init.o: In function `GFXInit(int, char**)':
gl_init.cpp:(.text+0x25ef): undefined reference to `winsys_init'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [vegastrike] Error 1
I have no idea how to go about fixing this. Anybody have any advice? I'll attach my config.log, too.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Re: Make error, nobody lists it anywhere.

Post by chuck_starchaser »

That's weird. If your makefile.am includes winsys in the list for vegastrike, which it should, then winsys_init shouldn't be undefined.

(Why is there no head-scratching emoticon in phpBB?)

I'm not good at reading config.log files, though; but others may be able to help you more than I can.
What arguments did you run config with?
Steps are:
./bootstrap-sh
./configure --enable-release --disable-debug --enable-cubemap --with-boost=system
make

Or use cmake:
cd ~
mkdir vs_cmake
cd vs_cmake
cmake <path to working repo/vegastrike>
ccmake (review options)
make

But anyways, VT right now can't use the latest engine features... Its data is not up to date for it. It has no cubemaps, yet; and its shaders don't support cubemaps; so for vegastrike svn data you'd compile with cubemaps; but for VT you'd want to compile without.
The good news is that the long-awaited engine upgrades for PU and VT are probably less than a week away, now that shenle has contributed a windows binary. New release times for PU and VT will probably coincide with, or even precede, Vegastrike's upcoming release.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

i've seen this error on people who dont have full development installations on their rpm based dists.

basically caused by not having proper SDL -dev packages and Xorg lib -dev packages installed.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

indeed, you are missing the sdl dev package. I think there is more than one that's required. Just search for sdl and dev in whatever package manager you use and install the base one and any that may mention python.

Other than that, i also suggest installing the ffmpeg dev package .While not required, it eventually will be a feature.

You may also want to install the boost-python packages (pick the version you have already got python installed in) (including the -dev package), and use system boost option in configure (or better, use cmake).

the in-tree boost revisions are mostly there for windows and mac people. The preferred way is to compile against the boost your dist uses.
Voronwe

Post by Voronwe »

I have exactly the same problem but sorry safemode but I didn't understand which packages I have to download...

I'm running Karmic Koala amd64.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

sdl-dev, probably.
As safemode suggests, fire up Synaptic, and in the search field enter "sdl dev" without the quotes, and it should show up; then click it and hit apply.
Voronwe

Post by Voronwe »

Solved.

The libboost-python1.34.1-8 was missing.

Maybe guys you should update the wiki page in the ubuntu section :P

EDIT

Still havin' many other issues... which libboost-python is best to use?

EDIT2

libsdl1.2-dev ;)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Good work! I have no access to the wiki, anymore, because my name has an underscore. Could you try and update it? Same forum name and password should work.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

1.34 is old. very.

There should be significantly newer versions unless you're using an old dist.

As for the wiki pages .... that requires someone actually using the dist in question. I dont think any of us are using ubuntu. So we'd need some sort of contribution from someone who does....otherwise it's debian info you get.
Voronwe

Post by Voronwe »

I'll give some test try searching for the best configuration and, from my n00bness, I'll try to be useful to the community. :wink:

EDIT

Well, here we hare.

The newest in karmic koala are these one.

libboost-python1.40.0
libboost-python1.40-dev

Don't know if is enought to have the -dev one, the other, both of them, anyway, I have both of them by now.

Now I'm downloading SVN for the tenth (?) time, my internet provider sux, I really hate my country (I'm Italian) sometimes...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Why downloading svn multiple times? The whole point of svn is that updates are short and sweet; svn co takes forever, the first time; but from then on, svn up takes a minute to update.
Voronwe

Post by Voronwe »

I did some "experiments". nevermind :P

Ok, I've compiled the SVN version, the game starts but...

It's slow as hell. This is my pc.

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 210wt_1163

I think it's more tha enough for VegaStrike... :P But: I think I'm gonna a little OT, if you prefer I can open a new thread...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Voronwe wrote:I did some "experiments". nevermind :P

Ok, I've compiled the SVN version, the game starts but...

It's slow as hell. This is my pc.

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 210wt_1163

I think it's more tha enough for VegaStrike...
You're insulting VegaStrike.
You've got an integrated video chip, my friend.
SCHEDA VIDEO INTEGRATA: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator GMA 3100 256MB
To make things worse, it's an Intel; infamous makers of graphics decelerators.
To make matters worse, it shares memory with the cpu.
That's garbage.
ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL GARBAGE!
Get a videocard; 8800gts or better. Should be able to pick one for $100 or even less, nowadays.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

chuck_starchaser wrote:You're insulting VegaStrike.
You've got an integrated video chip, my friend.
LOL. I'm insulting VegaStrike also. My laptop has an integrated video chipset too.

However, since I know better, it's an ATI 3200 with 256MB dedicated memory, plus shared mem.

VS runs just fine on it.
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
Voronwe

Post by Voronwe »

Well I have a old NVIDIA geforce 6600 too, maybe I should try with that... ^^'

EDIT Anyway, it still sounds strange to me that VS doesn't work with it, anyway, I'll try some of my old crappy hardware that I have in my house...

Thanks anyway.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

your nvidia 6600 (what i have still in my box) will do much better than the intel card. much better. Though it still will suck. You'll routinely dip into the 30ish fps in certain situations. This is if you have max settings in vssetup. This is entirely due to the age of the card, a modern gpu with gobs of memory fairs insanely better.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

30fps is bad?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Voronwe

Post by Voronwe »

Well, I've just bought this one, when I'll have the money to buy another one I think that I'll continue playing with my Wii ^^'''
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

i wouldn't consider anything below 60fps as good for a 3d game.

consider that 30fps is an average of framerate across a second, half of that second could be spent at 15fps while the second half may be 60fps .That's half a second of stop motion animation then smooth rendering for the second half. This becomes noticable.

at 60fps, you can kill half a second at 30fps and rendering is still fine, while the second half at 120 is not as noticeably more fluid, reducing the overall effect of the jumping framerate.
These are just generalizations, but the effect exists in the game. framerate is not controlled in a realtime manner, nor can it be, so you have to give yourself a bufferzone.
Aside from that, in general, higher framerate in the 60fps range is noticeably more responsive feeling than 30fps. 30 can feel sloppy, delayed, while 60 isn't as much.

You shouldn't be hitting 30fps unless you have a chipset of the nvidia 6600-era as i'm sure most 7000+ series chipsets have more than enough memory and raw power + shaders than necessary for VS to play at 60fps at least the vast majority of the time.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Well, I have it all maxed out on a GF6200 and it runs at 40fps average, sometimes hitting 30fps, sometimes hitting 60fps.

The lowest it's been is 13fps when getting really close to stations - I really really don't know why, though. The CPU spends 50% time in the kernel when that happens and I can't figure out why.

I bet there's a sweet spot somewhere in the driver that the 6200 can't handle in hardware, because oprofile shows gl-related .so popping out at that point.

I'm determined to making the game playable in the GF6200, even if it means lowering detail settings, so that 50% CPU usage is bad. I'll try to track it down.

In any case, the game feels playable enough, and on a faster CPU it would probably stay above 30fps at all times (I'm running that test on a very old P4 1.7Ghz, one of the first P4).
Wing Commander Universe
Voronwe

Post by Voronwe »

Mmm and here comes the fool idea.

Nintendo Wii + Homebrew Channel + Linux + Vega Strike = Maybe Awesomeness...

O_O

Time to googleize...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Voronwe, I don't know what you're talking about, and I suspect you don't either.
Just grab that old 6600 you got there, plug it in, get the drivers for it, install them,
AND be sure you get the latest driver updates from NVidia; and you're all set, for now.

Your computer is fine; it's only the graphics in it that suck.
Voronwe

Post by Voronwe »

Yeah I know but I have to sell the old PC and the Graphic Card well... it's kinda... needed?

And sorry but owning a Nintendo Wii I don't feel all this need for a new graphic card... 8)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

The problem with intel GMA isn't only that the hardware itself sucks, but the drivers too. That combination is a killer.

The GMA doesn't have hardware T&L either, which hasn't happened since... um... the first GeForce 11 years ago. Ain't that sick?

For that alone I'd put the GMA in the crap bin. What good is pixel shader 2.0 if you don't have hardware T&L? No respectable ps2.0 game will have models on the required polygon range for that hardware.

Flame on!

Anyway... we need LODs. With enough LODs, we could perhaps(*) support the GMA.

If there's any lurker out there with linux at hand, a survey of current meshes and their polycount would help - to know which ones desperately need a LOD to help integrated graphics.

(*) maybe (**)

(**) with luck (***)

(***) and a miracle (****)

(****) or two
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

everytime someone tries playing this game on an intel chipset i become more and more sure that we'll have to autoconfigure graphics options via a benchmarker script and only expose the individual options in an advanced mode. Then all we have to do is set a minimum value for whatever we are measuring performance and post a message to users trying to run the game on insufficient hardware.