Win32 compile r12613 vegastrike

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Win32 compile r12613 vegastrike

Post by pheonixstorm »

VSSetup
Got the setup file to compile but it will not start. I dbl click the app and nothing runs. I may need to compile all the gtk files myself and use them but not sure. Running vista so.. any thoughts?

Vegastrike
Started a compile of the latest svn and ran across an odd problem stemming from a missing source file. I have r12552 also that I am about to work on following the 552 thread as well..

The biggest problem is a missing gui/general.cpp file that was removed after r12585. I cannot find any reference to it after 12585 though it is listed in the ogre barnch. VS spits out a fatal error and will not attempt to compile w/o it. I will attempt to add the file from r12585 (last change I can find currently)

*edit*
I have reincluded general.cpp and general.h and have moved on to fixing the other errors in

Code: Select all

\src\cmd\unit_generic.cpp(7831) : error C2668: 'abs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
src\cmd\unit_generic.cpp(7846) : error C2668: 'abs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
src\cmd\unit_generic.cpp(7846) : error C2668: 'abs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
Funny thing is there are only 2 calls to abs in line 7846

STDUPGRADE(image->ecm,abs(up->image->ecm),abs(templ->image->ecm),0);
Last edited by pheonixstorm on Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Win32 compile r12614 vegastrike, vssetup

Post by pheonixstorm »

Ok, didnt take long to get that fixed... seems some yahoo forgot to label the function calls correctly.

I compiled the GLUT release of VS and it started to load, gave me a nice The Plan screen then crashed. The output file was vegastrikeGR.exe Is the glut release version even used or if it is completed?

Im compiling the std win32 release now while looking up some other information that might be of use in other areas...

heres the error code

[b]image->ecm = abs((int)image->ecm);[/b]
	if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Heat_Sink_Rating|Repair_Droid|Hold_Volume|Upgrade_Storage_Volume|Equipment_Space|Hidden_Cargo_Volume|ECM_Rating|Primary_Capacitor|Warp_Capacitor")) {
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Heat_Sink_Rating"))
			STDUPGRADE(HeatSink,up->HeatSink,templ->HeatSink,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Repair_Droid"))
			STDUPGRADE(image->repair_droid,up->image->repair_droid,templ->image->repair_droid,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Hold_Volume"))
			STDUPGRADE(image->CargoVolume,up->image->CargoVolume,templ->image->CargoVolume,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Upgrade_Storage_Volume"))
			STDUPGRADE(image->UpgradeVolume,up->image->UpgradeVolume,templ->image->UpgradeVolume,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Equipment_Space"))
			STDUPGRADE(image->equipment_volume,up->image->equipment_volume,templ->image->equipment_volume,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Hidden_Cargo_Volume"))
			STDUPGRADE(image->HiddenCargoVolume,up->image->HiddenCargoVolume,templ->image->HiddenCargoVolume,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"ECM_Rating"))
			[b]STDUPGRADE(image->ecm,abs(up->image->ecm),abs(templ->image->ecm),0);[/b]
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Primary_Capacitor"))
			STDUPGRADE(maxenergy,up->maxenergy,templ->maxenergy,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Warp_Capacitor"))
			STDUPGRADE(maxwarpenergy,up->maxwarpenergy,templ->maxwarpenergy,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Warp_Drive_Rating"))
			STDUPGRADE(jump.warpDriveRating,up->jump.warpDriveRating,templ->jump.warpDriveRating,0);
	}
and heres the corrected code

[b]image->ecm = abs((int)image->ecm);[/b]
	if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Heat_Sink_Rating|Repair_Droid|Hold_Volume|Upgrade_Storage_Volume|Equipment_Space|Hidden_Cargo_Volume|ECM_Rating|Primary_Capacitor|Warp_Capacitor")) {
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Heat_Sink_Rating"))
			STDUPGRADE(HeatSink,up->HeatSink,templ->HeatSink,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Repair_Droid"))
			STDUPGRADE(image->repair_droid,up->image->repair_droid,templ->image->repair_droid,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Hold_Volume"))
			STDUPGRADE(image->CargoVolume,up->image->CargoVolume,templ->image->CargoVolume,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Upgrade_Storage_Volume"))
			STDUPGRADE(image->UpgradeVolume,up->image->UpgradeVolume,templ->image->UpgradeVolume,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Equipment_Space"))
			STDUPGRADE(image->equipment_volume,up->image->equipment_volume,templ->image->equipment_volume,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Hidden_Cargo_Volume"))
			STDUPGRADE(image->HiddenCargoVolume,up->image->HiddenCargoVolume,templ->image->HiddenCargoVolume,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"ECM_Rating"))
			[b]STDUPGRADE(image->ecm,abs((int)up->image->ecm),abs((int)templ->image->ecm),0);[/b]
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Primary_Capacitor"))
			STDUPGRADE(maxenergy,up->maxenergy,templ->maxenergy,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Warp_Capacitor"))
			STDUPGRADE(maxwarpenergy,up->maxwarpenergy,templ->maxwarpenergy,0);
		if(!csv_cell_null_check||force_change_on_nothing||cell_has_recursive_data(upgrade_name,up->faction,"Warp_Drive_Rating"))
			STDUPGRADE(jump.warpDriveRating,up->jump.warpDriveRating,templ->jump.warpDriveRating,0);
	}
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

You can remove general.cpp from your win32 project files. It's existence in your build files is the only reason why it fails when you try to compile when it's removed. Dont expect it to find its way back into the source tree.

Only one or two people ever dealt with compiling the win32 VC project files, so i have no idea what the targets refer to in relation to the unix side of things. What's most useful when you segfault is a backtrace. If you could manage to do that in win32, that would be very helpful in finding any incompatibilities introduced into the win32 code since the last release .... you're one of 2 people currently working on it, though the other person is porting the win32 branch to gcc so Visual Studio is not required.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Ok, grabbed a new copy of the vega-vc8, data, win32 (no externals), and vegastrike directories at r12613 (no change in source just no cubemaps in data and no data in win32)

Now.. fixed unit_generic.cpp of its issues
updated projects to use python 2.6
updated python to use 2.6.1 (may update again to latest 2.6.x)
build debug (glut) version changing resource file to show build 55...

It compiles fine but keeps telling me that it can't find python24_d.lib I checked both debug configs as well as both release configs and changed any reference to 24 to 26, clean/build and no change... still wont link due to 24_d.lib..

Change linker config to ignore the 24_d.lib and now it compiles and links. Go to run... R6034 runtime link error with msvcr90.dll. So, moving on to the release win32 glut config...

*EDIT* Tracked down the reason for the offensive runtime error... It would help if I paid more attention to the linker err msg...

defaultlib 'MSVCRT' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

Had to spend 15 minutes trying to track down why this happens.. seems that when trying to build a debug version the linker still wants to use the regular VCCRT lib as well as the debug lib.. so set to ignore the non-debug lib, clean and build... and now it RUNS!

I HAVE DONE IT! maybe.. i'm waiting for the game to finish loading now.. its running windowed and I hope taking focus off the game didn't cause it to crash... loading a compiled debug exe is taking forever.. its been loading all the graphics for awhile, but I did manage to at least get to to load to main menu and choose campaign.

Ok, finally to the landing pad :mrgreen: now ship upgrades, i hate navigating the startin planet... anyway, looks like a good build though I havent tried doing much of anything. Looking at buying a new ship and load time once you click on each ship is longer than normal.. hopefully just due to the fact that this is a debug build. Anyway, closing the game and moving on to getting the release version compiled!
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Working win32 release binary now compiled as well.

So, now that that is out of the way... what windows libraries need to be updated? what version of the following is in use under linux?

SDL
GTK+
zlib
libpng
ogg vorbis
openal
xmlparse
etc...

Just to say it again... WIN32 Binary now works!
Im about to start it up again with a newly created vs.config and check it out for a spin make sure i'm not imagining things.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Ok, so it compiles and runs.. But the sound crashes 30 minutes in and i can't get the joystick to work. Bummer... but hey, we got a nice shiny win32 build!

If offline for the night.. wife is sick and kept me up longer than i wanted... I shall tackle my issues later and focus on sleep... Quick thought before i go, I wonder if updating and recompiling the SDL files would help... its possible the linux build is working from a more recent source tree than win32.. but then again I think the whole project is working with more up to date source than the win32 branch :roll:

*EDIT*
Before I forget.. and as a reminder to myself. I will try to get a rar of the currently compiled win32 binaries (release and debug) posted somewhere for everyone to check out. So far I have only tested the new binaries under vista so who knows how they might react under xp or maybe even 2k. Not sure when I will try to get vs to compile under vs8 (2005) but it'll get done at some point as well as maybe updating the current win32 binaries if there is a difference between the win32 binaries libraries and linux. Sleep is calling.. night all!
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Wow, well done! :D
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

audio errors are likely due to no testing of any of the new av code. It's important that those errors are fleshed out before release.

Though, getting it to compile under VC is good, it would be much more advantageous to us to get it to compile under gcc in win32. That's ongoing though, so VC will suffice for now.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

safemode wrote:audio errors are likely due to no testing of any of the new av code. It's important that those errors are fleshed out before release.

Though, getting it to compile under VC is good, it would be much more advantageous to us to get it to compile under gcc in win32. That's ongoing though, so VC will suffice for now.
Compiling under anything is infinitely better than not compiling; but what's really important is that the process be well documented and repeatable.
The question is not "does this binary work for everybody?"; the question is, "does everybody get a working binary when following this procedure?"
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Not sure how much time I will have to work on this today. Wife is still sick and the lack of fluids is causing her to have some serious contractions (due in april) so may have to take her to the hospital.
by safemode » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:24 am

Even if we can get a working gcc build the target compiler should remain as VC since most windows users or developers will more readily have it. Either way I don't see many windows users wanting to compile the binary, its not in their nature since no one normally has to compile an app to get it to work. Justa run an installer and your done.
by chuck_starchaser » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 am

but what's really important is that the process be well documented and repeatable.
The question is not "does this binary work for everybody?"; the question is, "does everybody get a working binary when following this procedure?"
thats something else i'm going to work on. The src compresses to a very small amount so I can probably zip it up and send it around since I don't have svn access to upload it. I dual boot on this machine xp/vista so I can test again after I reboot. I also want to get it to compile under vs2005 so that will come next this week maybe.

I need to hurry up and get a new win2k server up so I can setup apache and bugzilla and a private svn. I have a static ip on my dsl so I can probably pass out the ip addy to a few of you to use to grab any work ive done. Still have to figure out what to do with my old dual PII 450(? 350 maybe?). Could make that a nice suse or mandriva box.. Does mandriva still release? I liked mandrake/mandriva as well as gentoo... suse was nice too. Never found the time to get slackware up or debian.. Anyway im rambling now.

So, check audio code. Check rebuild for multiple systems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Ok, so what projects in the VC solution are really used?

I've got the following listed:
AsterGet
mission
savegame
soundserver
texturizer
TriSort
vegastrike
vsacctserver
vsserver
vssetup

I know the following are in the main win32 bin: soundserver, vssetup, vegastrike. The build solution only has 2 configuerd to build: vegastrike and soundserver.
What do the rest of them do? Are they even needed at the moment discontinued what?

I think I found why it kept wanting python24.lib I think the two different python directories were not updated correctly and the wiki says to replace files only in one. the folders are /python and /python26 under include and /python under the main vega-vc8 dir.

I am going to start a vega-vc9 before I start on getting vc8 (vc 2005) to compile. Should I try to work on vc7 or just elave it alone?

Also, does both the win32/linux/mac builds all use pthreads? On win32 is it better to use pthreads or native thread code? If native we can probably use zthread as a threading wrapper. If thats the correct name anyway.. will go through all my libs/sdks and check.

Latest build i'm doing now replaces ALL python code with 2.6.1 code from python site, seems even the python includes labeled as 2.6 may not have been correct. Just more to check into and work on I guess..
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I've been digging around in the solution file and the vegastrike project file for awhile tonight.. nothing good shall come of this I swear. I think I will have to rebuild the whole sln/proj files from scratch. In the vegastrike.proj there is an entry for /collider and /collider2 It seems that /colllider hasn't existed since r11913. It's no wonder no one can get a working win32 build will everything that has to be fixed or removed...

VC2005 & VC2008 are a deffinate, but should I try to get a fixed/working build using VC2003 (vc7)?

Off to VC land I go!
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I think soundserver isn't needed anymore--it was just still in the repository becasue the last win32 build of vegastrike needed it.

So that leaves just:
vegastrike
vsserver
vssetup

And also:
vegastrike/objconv/mesher/mesher.sln

It would be great if you could delete all the broken/unused projects, and add "mesher" to the main sln.

I think our 0.5.0 release was built using VS 2005. From what I remember, it might be possible to build the vega-vc8 project using VS 2008.
I wouldn't be heartbroken if we deleted the vega-vc7 project. We used it for previous releases to avoid needing all the redistributable and manifest file nonsense, but now it's just too old.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

ace123 wrote:I think soundserver isn't needed anymore--it was just still in the repository becasue the last win32 build of vegastrike needed it.

So that leaves just:
vegastrike
vsserver
vssetup
Figured those three and vsacctserver would be the only ones left. Does vsserver have the vsacctserver functionallity or is acctserver web only? I havent really looked.

And also:
vegastrike/objconv/mesher/mesher.sln

It would be great if you could delete all the broken/unused projects, and add "mesher" to the main sln.
I didnt even know about this one
I think our 0.5.0 release was built using VS 2005. From what I remember, it might be possible to build the vega-vc8 project using VS 2008.
I wouldn't be heartbroken if we deleted the vega-vc7 project. We used it for previous releases to avoid needing all the redistributable and manifest file nonsense, but now it's just too old.
I got everything to compile running VC2008 express. I am currently remaking the who solution for 2008 and did't plan on keeping anything that wasnt needed and updating all the libraries and recompiling (sdl, zlib?, python..) I'm hoping I can delete at least one of the python directories... The whole win32 solution is a mess with files being removed or multiple versions included.. Its taking time away from my editors :lol:

Last thing, does anyone want a new vssetup? While i'm at it I can probably provide a QT version instead of gtk, or if nothing else an update to v1.3 that isnt even offered anymore.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I forgot one thing. In vc9 at least you can hav ethe manifest files either internal or external of your binary. For now I have it as an external file though when I get closer to being finished I will make it internal. It is probably possible in vc8 as well. In vc9 (2008) its under project properties -> manifest tool -> Input and Output the option is to embed
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

I wouln't bother with a QT solution. The idea is to make vssetup an in-game menu. I guess, defaulting to some basic settings, enough to let the user load to the settings menu and change to what they want and then the game can restart with the new settings. All done in GL and so not requiring any special UI toolkits or separate programs.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Yeah i read that somewhere. I ask mostly because i'm not sure if I can even safely update the gtk libs... I have no idea whats using em yet. I have found though that there are way too many includes that are not used. Almost all of the OpenAL includes arent used by vegastrike or have been commented out. Plus no one has said WHEN the setup is going in-game either :wink:

Also, when compiling the new binary the win user will probably have to use another platform sdk other than 2003. If not running win2k I would suggest getting the win7 sdk, it covers xp, vista, and win7 and should have much more updates for w/e windows includes are required.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Getting a new ogg/vorbis compile up for vega-vc9 but need to know why vc8 used static dlls and not dynamic? Is there any reason they are static?

Also, since VS10 (vs2010) is nearing completion I am thinking on creating a vega compile for the beta.. though not till well after I have finished vc8/9 rework. If I can tweak it I think I will make VC choose between an ogg/vorbis build using std libraries or one compiled against sse2 instructions. The majority of players win side should have at least a p4/amd64 that includes sse2. This could give the new binary a slight increase in speed though probably not noticealbe (every little bit helps though).

Also, was there a change between the boost 1.3.5 code that would break updating to 1.3.9 or 1.4.x? The axiom if it aint broke dont fix it doesn't really work with computers. Hope there are enough windows users lurking the forums to test the changes, or linux users with wine.

*EDIT* Actually.. I don't know WHAT the hell they did on the windows build.. the /lib files show ogg_static.lib vorbis_static.lib vorbisfile_static.lib, but the win32 dir has ogg.dll, etc... this just gets worse n worse... guess im gonna have to run dependency_walker on the vs exe...
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Well im stupid... or the solution is actually stupid.. I've said it once and ill say it until I make my own but... stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid! I now have a working joystick! To think, all it took was compiling under release and not release_GLUT. You would think if you have multiple release configs BOTH would be ready and working. Nooooo can't have that now can we.. Not sure how many libs were missing in glut.. and even the normal release seems to include a few that don't seem to be required anyway, at least not as dlls.

At least now I know theres not a joystick bug I have to hunt down... Small update anyway. Back to rebuilding the solution!

BTW, the in game missions tutorial ship after first launch from the planet looks oddly familiar to something from an old 80's cartoon.. anyone know the ship or the cartoon?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

So here are my thoughts.

Vega-vc10 (branch copy) Will be up for those who actually want to toy with vc2010 while its in beta but will not be in the main trunk until after the final VS2010 release.

Vega-vc9 will be targeted to Win XP+ with computers running at least a P4/AMD64, pretty much any cpu that handles SSE2. It will only run VS2008 or higher with the vista sdk (does not work below xp) and the win7 sdk recommended. This will make sure the latest opengl code is used.

Vega-vc8 will be a release build for any target platform vegastrike currently runs on and what will be the primary binary release package (or should the aobve be the primary?) It will include solutions for vc2005 and 2008

Vega-vc7 will more than likely NOT be updated. Once 2010 is released I don't even know if the 2003 toolkit will still be avaliable for download. I know finding a copy of 2005 express has become hard enough

It should not be difficult to keep up a high end and normal (vc8/9) build chains since the only thing that changes are how the ogg vorbis libs are compiled. The actual solutions between the two should be an exact copy of each other. Update one and the other can be updated at the same time. I haven't had a chance to look for a way to check if sse2 is supported before linking so this structure may change if I do. Just a rough draft but something I was thinking about while building the new solution.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I don't really like the idea of supporting all these versions of VC++, since they are all free (as in beer). And honestly, there's no reason to use VC++ 2005 any more. It takes more disk space, compiles slower, has more crashes/Internal Compiler Errors, and the resulting executables are no better than 2008. I'd say just go with VS 2008+ all the way, and make note of what things broke so we can repeat the process for 2010.
If you delete the VC7 project, people won't be tempted wasting time trying to get it to compile.

What would be great is if we could have a repository to package all the .libs, and use cmake to generate projects. Then we will not have nearly as many of these build issues.
But I'd be happy with whatever solution you come up with for windows compiles. Please make a wiki page or something describing your steps since that will be really helpful for future generations.

Regarding Release vs Release GLUT. The GLUT build is hardly useful anymore, but it used to be there in case someone had a buggy system that didn't work with sdl.

I think the OGG/Vorbis build as static by default. But I see their source directory has .bat files for dynamic builds so maybe that would work better.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Doing just VC2008 would make things easier though I don't know if those with 2005 (std, pro, or express) will want to upgrade just to run the new build. Thats the only reason why I suggested adding 2005. Deleting vc7 though is a given. You can't even get the 2003 toolkit anymore that I know of nor 2005.

As for building for SSE2 instructions for arch, should we or do you think there might be enough people not using a p4 to justify our release binary to any CPU and a DIY for those that want to use SSE2?

As for the libs.. which libs are you refering to? the link libraries such as obb libpng zlib or ??
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

pheonixstorm wrote:Doing just VC2008 would make things easier though I don't know if those with 2005 (std, pro, or express) will want to upgrade just to run the new build. Thats the only reason why I suggested adding 2005. Deleting vc7 though is a given. You can't even get the 2003 toolkit anymore that I know of nor 2005.

As for building for SSE2 instructions for arch, should we or do you think there might be enough people not using a p4 to justify our release binary to any CPU and a DIY for those that want to use SSE2?

As for the libs.. which libs are you refering to? the link libraries such as obb libpng zlib or ??
when it comes to development environments, I would not care about anything older than 3 years being used. The game wont run on hardware that's much older than that to any decent degree, and if you upgrade your hardware more than your software, you probably shouldn't be compiling a game.

While we shouldn't do anything to overtly make using obsolete software work, we dont need to expend any resources to support it.

in any case, hopefully in the near future we will get cmake to fully run in win32 land, and then we wont have to worry about VC support, cmake should be able to support that stuff on it's own. Then all we worry about is cmake all-around.

edit: I would think that SSE2 would be supported on any machine in windows land capable of running the game. My concern would then be testing it vs the non-SSE2 to make sure it doesn't bug out more on the SSE2 version. Though, i would expect that you wont notice a difference in speed in either case. So much of the cpu use in VS is integer bound operations like traversing unit lists and other container classes and making umpteen comparisons. very little in comparison has to do with any sort of float math. Test both.
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

pheonixstorm wrote: The biggest problem is a missing gui/general.cpp file that was removed after r12585. I cannot find any reference to it after 12585 though it is listed in the ogre barnch. VS spits out a fatal error and will not attempt to compile w/o it. I will attempt to add the file from r12585 (last change I can find currently)
I tried to build tonight and ran into the same issue. If somebody fixed this, it would be great if it was submitted to the repository.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

That file was removed awhile back for some reason. I posted an attachement in either this thread of the other win compile thread will a better working copy for VC9. I'm still working on getting a new solution/project set ready as theres a lot of stuff no longer used or hasnt been removed.

What OS, compiler, and sdk are you using to build anyway?