Build a development windows binary for from r12552

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Build a development windows binary for from r12552

Post by JsnMtth »

I'm working on building a working Windows binary out of the svn (subversion) version of vegastrike at revision 12552.

I'm a newcomer to Vegastrike, I've compiled LOTS of other peoples applications in the Linux world including a custom LFS (GNU+Linux from Scratch) server stack. I've also compiled the before mentioned version of vegastrike for GNU+Linux. I have 15 years of programming experience using both procedural and OOP (Object Oriented Programming). I'm familiar with version control and Industry best practices. I'm not an expert in C or C++. I'm yet unfamiliar with out to develop a large application that compiles using a build system (such as VCC, Cmake, gnu tools).

So far I've attempted to build VS on windows using Cmake, Code::Blocks, and VCC9. I was only able to complete the build process with VCC9. The build segfaulted and I'm also not familiar with debugging compiled applications short of adding my own text output and interpreting compiler errors. Its been reported to compile on VCC8 but I can't seem to find it.

My motivations are to learn about the before mentioned shortcomings in my education and to contribute something useful to the open source community.

My goal is to build a working windows binary using a minimum of proprietary software, and without violating any licenses.

I'll be exploring the following avenues to achieve my goal:

1) Cross-Compile (Compile on GNU+Linux for Windows)
2) Build with Windows versions of the GNU build system
3) Build with Cmake

Any and all input (except flaming) would be greatly appreciated.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Build a development windows binary for from r12552

Post by JsnMtth »

Work in Progress document for compiling Vegastrike on Windows using Free Software. When completed Vegastrike should be able to be compiled on Windows and Linux (Mac too, if someone wants to help out) using the same project files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

PS: I could use some help with the custom Vegastrike M4 scripts. Currently I'm stuck at Python detection.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

Well..... I've worked through the python M4 Script's problems. It now detects Python correctly! However that doesn't mean it's going to work. I'm not familiar with HOW the engine interacts with Python. If someone who is would be so kind as to create a test for the document as a proof of concept (even if it only works in Linux). That would be huge!!!

Assuming the Python bindings do work... GLU is next and possibly last :)

PS: I'll post the changes after I test a Linux build with them.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

I've tested these patches on r12552 on Fedora 11 - x86_64 with a successful build. They don't break the Linux build, and they enable the autotools to detect python properly.

The changes to configure.ac remove a macro that is considered invalid. See my comments on the error I encountered, the macro probably shouldn't be commented out, but I don't know what it does, why it's broken or who put it there. The second change to the file specifies a value that states that we're building on windows. This allows the VS_CHECK_PYTHON to know to look for .dll files instead of .so files in a similar fashion as the mac build.

The first changes to VS_CHECK_PYTHON.m4 tell it to search for header and library files in the environment variables CFLAGS and LDFLAGS respectively. Previously they we're ignored for Python detection, Python HAD to be installed in a standard location. The second set of change has the program look for .dll files instead of only looking for .so files or the mac .whatever files. Also the section that displays what file is being searched for displays the file suffix it is searching for, not just .so regardless of the search suffix .

Special thanks to chuck_starchaser for editing my sometimes incomprehensible sentences.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

It seems to me the howto document could use a test for each dependancy. A full autotools test that uses the tests that the VS engine uses. It's only purpose to prove the success of building and being able to properly link with a single package.

It's kind of a daunting task, I'll tackle it by starting with broken dependancies first, unless it isn't obvious what is and isn't broken. If thats the case I'll do them one at a time, from first to last.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

wtf is OpenGLU?
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

NM. One of my dumber questions.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

HELP!!!!

Output one

Code: Select all

Using SDL Windowing System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check for GL library
**** Check for GL Lib
checking for GL library... no
checking for GL library (with pthreads)... no
./configure: /c/vegastrike/freeglut: is a directory
**** Check for GL Lib
checking for MesaGL library... no
checking for MesaGL library (with pthreads)... no
**** Check for GL Lib
checking for opengl32 library... yes
Check for GLU library
checking for GLU library... no
checking for GLU library (with pthreads)... no
checking for MesaGLU library... no
checking for MesaGLU library (with pthreads)... no
checking for openglu32 library... no
checking for openglu32 library (with pthreads)... no
configure: error: Cannot find GLU library

Output two

Check for OpenGL headers
checking for GL/gl.h... yes
Check for glut library
checking for XmuGetHostname in -lXmu... no
checking for XListInputDevices in -lXi... no
checking for glut32 library... -luser32 -lgdi32 -L/usr/lib/w32api -lwsock32 -L/c/vegastrike/bin -lglut32
no
checking for glut library... -luser32 -lgdi32 -L/usr/lib/w32api -lwsock32 -L/c/vegastrike/bin -lglut
no
checking for freeglut library... -luser32 -lgdi32 -L/usr/lib/w32api -lwsock32 -L/c/vegastrike/bin -lfreeglut
yes
Check for glut.h
checking GL/glut.h usability... no
checking GL/glut.h presence... no
checking for GL/glut.h... no
checking freeglut.h usability... yes
checking freeglut.h presence... yes
checking for freeglut.h... yes
test.sh: Using Boost Version 1.35.
test.sh: No Threading Model Used
test.sh: Using std::list for basis of collision testing
checking for pkg-config... no
checking for OGRE... no
Notice that output one looks for GLU and fails, output two doesn't look for GLU but looks for GLUT and succeeds!
1) What is the difference between GLU and GLUT?
2) Does VS need both of them?
3) Are either of them not used on the Windows platform?
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

A bit of Googling on GLU/GLUT and this overview came up:
http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showpost. ... ostcount=4
GLUT is simply a layer on top of OpenGL. You could replace it with a different windowing system easily if you wanted.

The typical layers are thus:
0) OpenGL + OpenGL extensions - Low-level routines for specifying geometry and texture data, and rendering modes.
1) GLEW / GLee - Libraries making it easier to use OpenGL extensions. They mostly work "behind the scenes" and you don't interact with them directly except by adding a header file.
2) GLU - Some convenience routines for calling OpenGL in more intuitive ways.
3) GLUT / SDL / GLX / WGL / AGL / GTKGLEXT / etc - The IO layer controlling both mouse and keyboard input, and visual output (windows).

OpenGL is slightly counter-intuitive in that it doesn't provide a way to make a context or drawing area directly; it requires one of the layer-3 tools to provide that for it.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

charlieg wrote:A bit of Googling on GLU/GLUT and this overview came up:
http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showpost. ... ostcount=4
GLUT is simply a layer on top of OpenGL. You could replace it with a different windowing system easily if you wanted.

The typical layers are thus:
0) OpenGL + OpenGL extensions - Low-level routines for specifying geometry and texture data, and rendering modes.
1) GLEW / GLee - Libraries making it easier to use OpenGL extensions. They mostly work "behind the scenes" and you don't interact with them directly except by adding a header file.
2) GLU - Some convenience routines for calling OpenGL in more intuitive ways.
3) GLUT / SDL / GLX / WGL / AGL / GTKGLEXT / etc - The IO layer controlling both mouse and keyboard input, and visual output (windows).

OpenGL is slightly counter-intuitive in that it doesn't provide a way to make a context or drawing area directly; it requires one of the layer-3 tools to provide that for it.
Thanks charlieg! Would it be safe to say, in order to build VS on Windows I would need to successfully link GL, GLEW, GLU, GLUT or SDL? The GLUT or SDL meaning one or the other? Or do I need to link GLUT and SDL.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

Got it!!! A couple tweeks to the m4 script and the following configure created a GLU detection success.

./configure --prefix=$px --with-glut-libs=/c/vegastrike/bin --with-glut-inc=/c/vegastrike/include --with-glu-libs=/c/mingw/lib
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

Ok Current Issues:

1) No GTK
Why O Why is GTK used for VSETUP?!? It add TONS of dependancies. There are three possible resolutions: Install a pre-built binary :cool: , Build the whole dang thing myself :roll: , Port it to the windows API :shock:

2) No OpenAL
It's there, I've just got to get everything sorted right.

However I did get a successful configure, theoretically it will build a VS with lousy or no sound and no configuration utility :o
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

ok the first attempt at building failed :|
The shock is that it failed on the first invocation of g++
make1.txt
config.log
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Keep at it man, you'll get there eventually. Sorry I can't really offer any worthwhile advice. I'm a Java-y dude.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

I appreciate the support anyhow, thanks! :mrgreen:
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

JsnMtth wrote:ok the first attempt at building failed :|
The shock is that it failed on the first invocation of g++
From what I've googled it seems to me that class the code is looking for can be either in the namespace stdext:: or in the namespace std:: depending on whether you use VC or g++ and maybe even on the version of g++.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

LOL!!! Thanks RedAdder. That is embarrassing :oops:

MinGW did put LOTS of things in weird places. I haven't had a spare hour to work on it since the last post :( At least now one with my brain screwed on right. I'll look into that this weekend ( A long one :D ), and hopefully report back a more worthy result.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Build a development windows binary for from r12556

Post by JsnMtth »

I guess I'm using revision 12556 not 12552

EDIT: Actually I'm REALLY confused:

$ svn info
Path: .
URL: https://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vegastrike/trunk/vegastrike
Repository Root: https://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vegastrike
Repository UUID: 9476613a-4e0a-0410-bcee-947800e9c4d1
Revision: 12556
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: ace123
Last Changed Rev: 12552
Last Changed Date: 2009-04-30 13:15:10 -0700 (Thu, 30 Apr 2009)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It's very very simple: you misdetected where hash_map<T> exists in the current distribution, and so everything blows in your face.

hash_map<T> is an extension to the otherwise very standard STL. It's a common extension, every modern C++ compiler has it, but it's nonstandard, so it lives in various places.

The configure script has to figure out where it is, and activate the proper defines in config.h, so that gnuhash.h knows what file to include.

It's trying to include <hash_map>, and failing miserably. It's probable that one of the required defines wasn't defined properly. From gnuhash.h, one can see that in order for it to attempt to include <hash_map> _WIN32 must have been defined. That's probably part of the problem, mingw & cygwin try to mimic a unixy environment, so _WIN32 includes will probably not work.

You'll have to dig into /usr/include/c++ or cpp or whatever and find where hash_map<T> is, then make sure your configure script outputs the defines that enable that specific #include in gnuhash.h. It's probably ext/hash_map.

It's also very likely that you'll have to edit gnuhash.h to acommodate the peculiarities of a cygwin environment.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

I did end up finding hashmap, its part of the mingw "distro". Then the preprocessor processing for WIN32. That part of the implementation needs to be changed so it looks for the Unix hashmap on mingw (and probably cygwin).
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

I'm attaching my latest documentation in-case anyone is interested in helping on this project. I'll be using that very document to set up an additional development environment on my desktop. It should be a good debugging exercise.

I think it compiles a low level networking library first. This will probably be one of the hard parts to compile, due to the differences between different OS's that need to be dealt with.

The lattest compile error for windows looks like I'm missing something again. (probably won't be the last time either)

make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory `/src/vegastrike'
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -DBOOST_PYTHON_NO_PY_SIGNATURES -DBOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_LIB -I./boost/1_35 -I/c/vegastrike/include  -I/c/vegastrike_nd/include -pipe  -DNOMINMAX -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1  -I/c/vegastrike/include    -I/usr/local/include  -I/c/vegastrike/include -DHAVE_PYTHON=1    -I./src   -pipe  -I/c/vegastrike/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -Dmain=SDL_main -D_REENTRANT -MT src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.o -MD -MP -MF "src/networking/lowlevel/.deps/netbuffer.Tpo" \
  -c -o src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.o `test -f 'src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp' || echo './'`src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp; \
then mv "src/networking/lowlevel/.deps/netbuffer.Tpo" "src/networking/lowlevel/.deps/netbuffer.Po"; \
else rm -f "src/networking/lowlevel/.deps/netbuffer.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
In file included from c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/memory:68,

from c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/string:48,

from ./src/cmd/weapon_xml.h:4,

from ./src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.h:5,

from src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:2:

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_tempbuf.h: In member function `void std::_Temporary_buffer<_ForwardIterator, _Tp>::_M_initialize_buffer(const _Tp&, __false_type)':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_tempbuf.h:97: error: `uninitialized_fill_n' is not a member of `std'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_tempbuf.h: In destructor `std::_Temporary_buffer<_ForwardIterator, _Tp>::~_Temporary_buffer()':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_tempbuf.h:128: error: `_Destroy' is not a member of `std'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_tempbuf.h:129: error: `return_temporary_buffer' is not a member of `std'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_tempbuf.h: In constructor `std::_Temporary_buffer<_ForwardIterator, _Tp>::_Temporary_buffer(_ForwardIterator, _ForwardIterator)':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_tempbuf.h:153: error: `get_temporary_buffer' was not declared in this scope

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_tempbuf.h:154: error: expected primary-expression before '>' token

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stl_tempbuf.h:162: error: `return_temporary_buffer' is not a member of `std'

In file included from c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/string:48,

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/memory: In function `std::pair<_InputIter, _ForwardIter> __gnu_cxx::__uninitialized_copy_n(_InputIter, _Size, _ForwardIter, std::input_iterator_tag)':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/memory:86: error: `_Construct' is not a member of `std'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/memory:91: error: `_Destroy' is not a member of `std'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/memory: In function `std::pair<_InputIter, _ForwardIter> __gnu_cxx::__uninitialized_copy_n(_RandomAccessIter, _Size, _ForwardIter, std::random_access_iterator_tag)':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/memory:105: error: `uninitialized_copy' is not a member of `std'

In file included from c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/string:56,

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/algorithm: In function `bool __gnu_cxx::is_heap(_RandomAccessIterator, _RandomAccessIterator)':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/algorithm:435: error: `__is_heap' is not a member of `std'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/algorithm: In function `bool __gnu_cxx::is_heap(_RandomAccessIterator, _RandomAccessIterator, _StrictWeakOrdering)':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/algorithm:455: error: `__is_heap' is not a member of `std'

In file included from c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/string:57,

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h: At global scope:

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h: In instantiation of `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.tcc:943:   instantiated from here

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:117: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stringfwd.h:49: error: declaration of `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:118: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/stringfwd.h:49: error: declaration of `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:119: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:120: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:121: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:122: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:123: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:125: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:126: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:127: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct std::allocator<char>'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:253: error: no type named `size_type' in `struct std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h: In instantiation of `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Alloc_hider':
**DATA TRUNCATED FOR REDUCTED MESSAGE SIZE  PING ME IF YOU WANT IT**

from ./src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.h:9,

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc: In member function `_InIter std::num_get<_CharT, _InIter>::_M_extract_float(_InIter, _InIter, std::ios_base&, std::_Ios_Iostate&, std::string&) const':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:325: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'reserve'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:362: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'size'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:383: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'size'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:409: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'size'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc: In member function `_InIter std::num_get<_CharT, _InIter>::_M_extract_int(_InIter, _InIter, std::ios_base&, std::_Ios_Iostate&, _ValueT&) const':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:507: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'reserve'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:608: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'size'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc: In member function `virtual _InIter std::num_get<_CharT, _InIter>::do_get(_InIter, _InIter, std::ios_base&, std::_Ios_Iostate&, float&) const':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:743: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'reserve'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc: In member function `virtual _InIter std::num_get<_CharT, _InIter>::do_get(_InIter, _InIter, std::ios_base&, std::_Ios_Iostate&, double&) const':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:756: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'reserve'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc: In member function `virtual _InIter std::num_get<_CharT, _InIter>::do_get(_InIter, _InIter, std::ios_base&, std::_Ios_Iostate&, long double&) const':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:769: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'reserve'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc: In member function `_InIter std::money_get<_CharT, _InIter>::_M_extract(_InIter, _InIter, std::ios_base&, std::_Ios_Iostate&, std::string&) const':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1289: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'reserve'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1301: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'reserve'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1433: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'size'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1435: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'find_first_not_of'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1436: error: `npos' is not a member of `std::string'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1438: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'erase'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1438: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'size'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1442: error: no match for 'operator[]' in '__res[0]'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1443: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'insert'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1443: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'begin'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1446: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'size'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc: In member function `virtual _InIter std::money_get<_CharT, _InIter>::do_get(_InIter, _InIter, bool, std::ios_base&, std::_Ios_Iostate&, std::basic_string<_CharT, std::char_traits<_CharT>, std::allocator<_CharT> >&) const':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1503: error: no type named `size_type' in `struct std::string'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:1513: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'size'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc: In function `bool std::__verify_grouping(const char*, size_t, const std::string&)':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:2498: error: 'const struct std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >' has no member named 'size'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:2507: error: no match for 'operator[]' in '__grouping_tmp[__i]'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:2509: error: no match for 'operator[]' in '__grouping_tmp[__i]'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/locale_facets.tcc:2512: error: no match for 'operator[]' in '__grouping_tmp[0]'

In file included from ./src/xml_support.h:10,

from ./src/configxml.h:31,

from ./src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_clientstate.h:28,

./src/hashtable.h: At global scope:

./src/hashtable.h:37: error: `stdext' has not been declared

./src/hashtable.h:37: error: expected template-name before '<' token

./src/hashtable.h:37: error: expected `{' before '<' token

./src/hashtable.h:37: error: expected unqualified-id before '<' token

In file included from ./src/configxml.h:31,

./src/xml_support.h:52: error: field `forward' has incomplete type

./src/xml_support.h:53: error: field `reverse' has incomplete type

In file included from ./src/easydom.h:35,

from ./src/configxml.h:32,

./src/vsfilesystem.h:78: error: `stdext' has not been declared

./src/vsfilesystem.h:78: error: expected initializer before '<' token

./src/vsfilesystem.h:79: error: `FileLookupCache' was not declared in this scope

./src/vsfilesystem.h:79: error: `cache' was not declared in this scope

./src/vsfilesystem.h:79: error: expected primary-expression before "const"

./src/vsfilesystem.h:79: error: expected primary-expression before "type"

./src/vsfilesystem.h:79: error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression

./src/vsfilesystem.h:125: error: `stdext' has not been declared

./src/vsfilesystem.h:125: error: expected initializer before '<' token

In file included from ./src/configxml.h:32,

./src/easydom.h:75: error: `stdext' has not been declared

./src/easydom.h:75: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `hash_map' with no type

./src/easydom.h:75: error: expected `;' before '<' token

./src/easydom.h: In member function `void easyDomNode::set_attribute(std::string, std::string)':

./src/easydom.h:67: error: `attribute_map' was not declared in this scope

./src/easydom.h: At global scope:

./src/easydom.h:82: error: `stdext' has not been declared

./src/easydom.h:82: error: expected initializer before '<' token

./src/easydom.h:88: error: `tagMap' has not been declared

./src/easydom.h:88: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `tagmap' with no type

./src/easydom.h: In member function `void tagDomNode::Tag(int*)':

./src/easydom.h:89: error: no match for 'operator[]' in '*tagmap[easyDomNode::Name()()]'

./src/easydom.h: In member function `domNodeType* easyDomFactory<domNodeType>::LoadCalike(const char*)':

./src/easydom.h:228: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'size'

./src/easydom.h:240: error: 'struct std::string' has no member named 'size'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp: In function `std::string getSimpleString(std::string&)':

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:11: error: 'struct std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >' has no member named 'length'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:12: error: 'struct std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >' has no member named 'substr'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:13: error: 'struct std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >' has no member named 'substr'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp: In function `char getSimpleChar(std::string&)':

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:19: error: no match for 'operator[]' in 'input[0]'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:20: error: 'struct std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >' has no member named 'substr'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp: In function `int getSimpleInt(std::string&)':

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:24: error: `size_type' is not a member of `std::string'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:24: error: expected `;' before "where"

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:25: error: `where' was not declared in this scope

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:25: error: `npos' is not a member of `std::string'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:26: error: 'struct std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >' has no member named 'substr'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:28: error: 'struct std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >' has no member named 'substr'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp: In function `void addSimpleString(std::string&, std::string)':

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:34: error: 'const struct std::string' has no member named 'length'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp: In function `void addSimpleChar(std::string&, char)':

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:39: error: no matching function for call to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::basic_string(char[2], int)'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.tcc:228: note: candidates are: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _CharT*, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.tcc:185: note:                 std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.tcc:193: note:                 std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:1988: note:                 std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string() [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp: In member function `void NetBuffer::addString(const std::string&)':

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:650: error: 'const struct std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >' has no member named 'length'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h: In member function `_Alloc std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::get_allocator() const [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:418:   instantiated from `std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::~basic_string() [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]'

./src/cmd/weapon_xml.h:35:   instantiated from here

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:1471: error: conversion from `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Alloc_hider' to non-scalar type `std::allocator<char>' requested

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h: In constructor `std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::_Alloc_hider::_Alloc_hider(_CharT*, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:1988:   instantiated from `std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string() [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]'

./src/cmd/weapon_xml.h:37:   instantiated from here

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:242: error: type `struct std::allocator<char>' is not a direct base of `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Alloc_hider'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h: In member function `std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>& std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::append(const _CharT*) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:2043:   instantiated from `std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc> std::operator+(const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&, const _CharT*) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]'

src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp:42:   instantiated from here

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:752: error: no matching function for call to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::append(const char*&, size_t)'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.tcc:604: note: candidates are: std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>& std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::append(const std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:750: note:                 std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>& std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::append(const _CharT*) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h: In static member function `static std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::_Rep& std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::_Rep::_S_empty_rep() [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]':

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:215:   instantiated from `void std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::_Rep::_M_dispose(const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]'

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:418:   instantiated from `std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::~basic_string() [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]'

./src/cmd/weapon_xml.h:35:   instantiated from here

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/bits/basic_string.h:178: error: no type named `size_type' in `struct std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >'

make[1]: *** [src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/vegastrike'
make: *** [all] Error 2
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I just wanted to warn you that hashmap may be a danger spot to keep in mind.
The original STL did NOT have a hashmap; but there was intense market demand, and various forms
of hashmap emerged. Then the BOOST guys got into the act, but within the BOOST developer
community there were competing implementations and hot debate. Probably things have cooled
down by now, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the current code depended on a specific
version or implementation of hashmap, and we might be including another.
The differences were not limited to implementation details; or even limited to behavior. There
were different, competing client interfaces as well. I did some programming using SGI's STL
extension's hashmap; but some time later I tried to rebuild my thing for some other STL, but
their hashmap was a complete different animal.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

Not surprised, the vegastrike networking team wrote their own implementation that is in many ways a wrapper for others. Actually there seems to be lots of issues here. I'm looking at the c++ "implementation" by mingw and there are errors in it. I'm going to upgrade to version 4 of mingw which I think has been released to stable.

EDIT: Klauss what write about hashmap I needed to explicitly include it's location. The issue above is worse. The code is expection something in std:: which isn't there. the string header is including the memory header and others from the wrong directory and such. I can easily fix them because we're distributing that part ourselves, but it may be fixed already.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

I switched to the mingw implementation instead of the VS "internal" implementation and got

make  all-am
make[1]: Entering directory `/src/vegastrike'
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -DBOOST_PYTHON_NO_PY_SIGNATURES -DBOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_LIB -I./boost/1_35 -I/c/vegastrike/include  -I/c/vegastrike_nd/include -I/c/mingw/include/c++/3.4.5 -I/c/mingw/include/c++/3.4.5/ext -pipe  -DNOMINMAX -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1  -I/c/vegastrike/include    -I/usr/local/include  -I/c/vegastrike/include -DHAVE_PYTHON=1    -I./src   -pipe  -I/c/vegastrike/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -Dmain=SDL_main -D_REENTRANT -MT src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.o -MD -MP -MF "src/networking/lowlevel/.deps/netbuffer.Tpo" \
  -c -o src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.o `test -f 'src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp' || echo './'`src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.cpp; \
then mv "src/networking/lowlevel/.deps/netbuffer.Tpo" "src/networking/lowlevel/.deps/netbuffer.Po"; \
else rm -f "src/networking/lowlevel/.deps/netbuffer.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
In file included from ./src/configxml.h:31,

./src/xml_support.h:56: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `Hashtable' with no type

./src/xml_support.h:56: error: expected `;' before '<' token

./src/xml_support.h:57: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `Hashtable' with no type

./src/xml_support.h:57: error: expected `;' before '<' token

In file included from ./src/easydom.h:35,

from ./src/configxml.h:32,

./src/vsfilesystem.h:78: error: `stdext' has not been declared

./src/vsfilesystem.h:78: error: expected initializer before '<' token

./src/vsfilesystem.h:79: error: `FileLookupCache' was not declared in this scope

./src/vsfilesystem.h:79: error: `cache' was not declared in this scope

./src/vsfilesystem.h:79: error: expected primary-expression before "const"

./src/vsfilesystem.h:79: error: expected primary-expression before "type"

./src/vsfilesystem.h:79: error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression

./src/vsfilesystem.h:125: error: `stdext' has not been declared

./src/vsfilesystem.h:125: error: expected initializer before '<' token