compiling svn on xp

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

compiling svn on xp

Post by dagg »

objective: create a working exe of the svn.
heck, I'm a linux user, windows is suppose to be more easy to handle and more intuitive, so how hard could it be? it should be easier than my distribution.
steps:
1) download the svn. check
2) have vs2005 on the computer, vs2005 is considered has the best ide for c/c++ by many so I'll use it.
3) try to load the project, no project files, no nothing, will try to create a new project with the files, no go.
4) go back to the svn, there are other branches, will try vega-proj (hell in linux is simpler even from command line! why do one need two subdirectories? one of the actual code and one for the project configuration? isn't one file enough?)
5) try to open vega-proj, success! now for compilation, some errors are displayed. why in hell does it won't break after the first error?
6) maybe it isn't related, compiling again, this time waiting till the end, why does it takes so long? maybe it isn't using both cores?
7) output is attached.

3151 errors... any hints?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: compiling svn on xp

Post by loki1950 »

Hi dagg windows is just easier for the users :wink: :shock: Did you configure VS2005 as ace details in the wiki do you have the right SDK's as the they are called windows side.Have you had a look at this thread using Code::Blocks for the IDE seems they got a working exe :) and documented the process as well.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

loki1950 wrote:Hi dagg windows is just easier for the users :wink: :shock: Did you configure VS2005 as ace details in the wiki do you have the right SDK's as the they are called windows side.Have you had a look at this thread using Code::Blocks for the IDE seems they got a working exe :) and documented the process as well.

the server sdk is installed, I think the directx is installed too. the computer is at our cs labs
the errors are boost related I think
not sure code::blocks is installed on the computers.
I don't have much space on my laptop allocated for windows so I can't do it on my computer... (why allocated for a system that is there for the sole purpose of warranty)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You could do what a couple of the community managers on the fedora forum do take out the windows drive and replace it with a blank one then if any problems develop pop the windows drive it back in present the laptop for warranty servicing.All though some suggest taking a hammer or a big magnet to it :wink:
Hopefully one of the guys that have built VS on XP will chime in as i don't have a working version myself ATM just Win7rc1 in a VM.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

ok, compilation went well. now it just crashes...
the error is runtime error. Program c:/Vegastrike/050/trunk/bin/vegastrike.exe abnormal program termination.
and the snip is:

Code: Select all

GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in C:\Vegastrike\050\trunk\bin/..
Using C:\Vegastrike\050\trunk as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : C:\Vegastrike\050\trunk/.vegatrek As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : C:\Vegastrike\050\trunk/.vegatrek/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : C:\Vegastrike\050\trunk/vegastrike.config
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"C:\Vegastrike\050\trunk\modules\builtin", r"C:\Vegastrike\050\trunk\modules\quests", r"C:\Vegastrike\050\trunk\modules\missions", r"C:\Vegastrike\050\trunk\modules\ai", r"C:\Vegastrike\050\trunk\modules", r"C:\Vegastrike\050\trunk\bases"]
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
OpenGL Extensions supported: GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_cull_vertex GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture3D GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_WIN_swap_hint
OpenGL::GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array supported
OpenGL::GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays supported
OpenGL::Accurate Fog Distance unsupported
OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::Multitexture supported (8 units)
OpenGL::TextureCubeMapExt supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Edge unsupported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Border supported
OpenGL::EXTColorTable unsupported 
I'm intrigued about this line:

'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
any change this is the problem?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That just means it can't find Python by importing (Python is not installed system-wide) then proceeds to find it in the next lines what does stdout from about the same area say. Just for comparison i just ran the VS svn on Win 7 earlier today with no problem from my stderr.txt and stdout.txt

Stdout

Using .vegastrike as the home directory
Found MODDIR = C:\vegastrike\data/mods
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; C:\vegastrike\data
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.05
['C:\\vegastrike\\data\\bin\\python25.zip', 'C:\\Python25\\Lib', 'C:\\Python25\\DLLs', 'C:\\Python25\\Lib\\lib-tk', 'C:\\vegastrike\\data', 'C:\\vegastrike\\data\\bin', 'C:\\Python25', 'C:\\Python25\\lib\\site-packages']
['C:\\vegastrike\\data\\modules\\builtin', 'C:\\vegastrike\\data\\modules\\quests', 'C:\\vegastrike\\data\\modules\\missions', 'C:\\vegastrike\\data\\modules\\ai', 'C:\\vegastrike\\data\\modules', 'C:\\vegastrike\\data\\bases']
Setting Screen to w 1024 h 768 and pitch of 4096 and 32 bpp 4 bytes per pix mode
Stderr

GOT SUBDIR ARG = 
Found data in C:\vegastrike\data\bin/..
Using C:\vegastrike\data as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : C:\vegastrike\data/.vegastrike As the home directory 
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : C:\vegastrike\data/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : C:\vegastrike\data/vegastrike.config
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"C:\vegastrike\data\modules\builtin",r"C:\vegastrike\data\modules\quests",r"C:\vegastrike\data\modules\missions",r"C:\vegastrike\data\modules\ai",r"C:\vegastrike\data\modules",r"C:\vegastrike\data\bases"]
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
Notice that i do have Python installed ;) though

dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

which version on vs are you using?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The svn version and the exe from the VS repo had to rename a few sprite files to have .spr extensions but apart from that no problems 8)

dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

loki1950 wrote:The svn version and the exe from the VS repo had to rename a few sprite files to have .spr extensions but apart from that no problems 8)

so you got a windows version that was compiled recently...
can I assume that the cause is lack of python? if so, how can that be when older version of vs does works on the same computer
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Not that recently Dec-15-08 revision 12503 and when i do try to build which will be soon i will be using the latest VC++9 and will need to build to compile my own Python .dll for Python 2.6.2 :wink: But it may not be linking to the proper .dll in your case is all i can think of but take that with a grain of salt as they say as i am not proficient in C/C++.

JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

latest VC++9
I built the lattest vegastrike R12552 with VC++9 on windows XP Pro SP2. I received an error about loading dll's without a proper manifest
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.80).aspx
Error: R6034
I haven't been able to debug it (I built the release). I'm rebuilding now and am hoping to debug it. But the thread I linked alludes to microsoft making the mistake in a manifest file (whatever that is). I've also been through the Code:Blocks stuff too, with no luck. Does anyone know how the 0.5.0 version was built for windows? perhaps using the same method would be successful.

I also had to borrow some dll files from the 0.5.0 build, mainly python and xmlparse.dll
I didn't go looking for python, but xmlparse that I could download online was missing stuff.

Through all this I've achieved a HUGE respect for the GNU build system, and what it has meant to have it available for free for SO long.

I've also attempted cmake with NO success at even getting started. In my opinion a cross-platform build procedure should be used. Something that doesn't break as easily over time, and that is as open as the code. Seems like moving to cmake will achieve that.

I'm in a transition right now. My desktop (the one with windows for gaming), is going into my son's bedroom. The deal was if he got A's and B's in school, I'd buy him a gaming computer. We had to move two times since then, and that savings was wiped out :( . The deal now is he gets MY computer until I can save up the money to keep my promise. I'm proud of him because He's worked REAL hard to achieve his goal. Also in 7 day's I'm laptop bound for at least 4 month (more bills coming). I'll be doing that duel hard-drive thing and using vista :( . That means half my limited computer resources will go to processing the DRM. I guess I'll start reading the official cmake documentation.
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

JsnMtth wrote:
latest VC++9
I built the lattest vegastrike R12552 with VC++9 on windows XP Pro SP2. I received an error about loading dll's without a proper manifest
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.80).aspx
Error: R6034
I haven't been able to debug it (I built the release). I'm rebuilding now and am hoping to debug it. But the thread I linked alludes to microsoft making the mistake in a manifest file (whatever that is). I've also been through the Code:Blocks stuff too, with no luck. Does anyone know how the 0.5.0 version was built for windows? perhaps using the same method would be successful.

I also had to borrow some dll files from the 0.5.0 build, mainly python and xmlparse.dll
I didn't go looking for python, but xmlparse that I could download online was missing stuff.

Through all this I've achieved a HUGE respect for the GNU build system, and what it has meant to have it available for free for SO long.

I've also attempted cmake with NO success at even getting started. In my opinion a cross-platform build procedure should be used. Something that doesn't break as easily over time, and that is as open as the code. Seems like moving to cmake will achieve that.

I'm in a transition right now. My desktop (the one with windows for gaming), is going into my son's bedroom. The deal was if he got A's and B's in school, I'd buy him a gaming computer. We had to move two times since then, and that savings was wiped out :( . The deal now is he gets MY computer until I can save up the money to keep my promise. I'm proud of him because He's worked REAL hard to achieve his goal. Also in 7 day's I'm laptop bound for at least 4 month (more bills coming). I'll be doing that duel hard-drive thing and using vista :( . That means half my limited computer resources will go to processing the DRM. I guess I'll start reading the official cmake documentation.
sorry, but I fail to see the connection to this thread, in general, my problem is on another computer... (not mine has I don't even run windows). what is strange that on my system, compiling the svn src results in a working viable binaries. but on a xp system where 0.5.0 is working without any problem, the binary crashes. what makes wonder on the possible issue.
on my system with python 2.5.4 I have absolutely no problems at all.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

but on a xp system where 0.5.0 is working without any problem, the binary crashes.
Did it return some sort of error? I've been working on building a windows binary. The different build
systems I've attempted to use have yielded. Different results.

I'm going to try VCC7 or VCC8. It seems that is what 0.5.0 was built with and what the documentation on
the wiki is for.
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

JsnMtth wrote:
but on a xp system where 0.5.0 is working without any problem, the binary crashes.
Did it return some sort of error? I've been working on building a windows binary. The different build
systems I've attempted to use have yielded. Different results.

I'm going to try VCC7 or VCC8. It seems that is what 0.5.0 was built with and what the documentation on
the wiki is for.
compilation went without any problem, the output is posted up.
used vc8 to build it.
JsnMtth
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by JsnMtth »

Thanks dagg. I missed the log on the first read :oops: