Intel Mac OS X and GLUT

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
evizitei
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Intel Mac OS X and GLUT

Post by evizitei »

Greetings everyone,

I've been playing around with VegaStrike for the last week, and I've been interested enough that I'd like to eventually become a contributor. I'm having problems, though, with getting the current SVN checkout compiled on my machine.

Here's the last little bit of output from the compilation attempt:

Code: Select all

checking for glut32 library... -lutil -F/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks -framework OpenGL -framework GLUT -framework CoreAudio -lobjc -L/sw/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lSDLmain -lSDL -Wl,-framework,Cocoa -L/usr/local/lib -framework GLUT
no
checking for glut library... -lutil -F/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks -framework OpenGL -framework GLUT -framework CoreAudio -lobjc -L/sw/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lSDLmain -lSDL -Wl,-framework,Cocoa -L/usr/local/lib -framework GLUT
no
configure: WARNING: Glut might fail because of missing libXmu-dev and/or headers!
configure: WARNING: Glut might fail because of missing libXi-dev and/or headers!
configure: error: GLUT library not found or too old version. 3.7 (beta) or later required.
I've seen this problem in another old post from 2007 on this forum, but couldn't arrive at a solution.

I'm running an Intel Mac, 10.5.
I've installed GLUT 3.7 with macports, but most of the other dependancies I installed with fink.
My "intel-mac-conf.sh" file looks like this:

./configure   LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib --with-gl-libs=/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries --with-gl-inc=/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Headers --with-glu-libs=/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries --with-glut-libs=/usr/local/lib --with-glut-inc=/usr/local/include --with-expat-libs=/sw/lib --with-expat-inc=/sw/include/ --with-png-libs=/sw/lib --with-png-inc=/sw/include/ --with-jpeg-inc=/sw/include --with-jpeg-libs=/sw/lib --with-ogg-inc=/sw/include --with-ogg-libs=/sw/lib --with-vorbis-inc=/sw/include --with-vorbis-libs=/sw/lib --with-sdl-prefix=/usr/local/ --with-sdl-exec-prefix=/usr/local/ --with-python-inc=/sw/include --with-python-libs=/sw/lib --enable-macosx-bundle $*
Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated. ; )

Thanks in advance
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Intel Mac OS X and GLUT

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome evizitei it looks like you are missing those two X-windows dev library headers as well as it not finding Glut unfortunately I'am not a Mac guy so have no idea where OSX puts things in it's file system.Not sure but you may get further using cmake as IIRC the pain of building on Windows and OSX was one of the main reasons we introduced cmake to our build scripts.If that's a no go hopefully one of the devs will be by with a fix for you.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
evizitei
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by evizitei »

thanks loki1950, I'm already a little farther along. The cmake build found GLUT successfully, so that's great. Now I've run cmake's "configure", and it finished with the following output:

-- Using Internal Boost !

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:576 (add_subdirectory):
   add_subdirectory given source "boost/1_33" which is not an existing
   directory.

-- OpenGL found : /System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework;/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

-- GLUT found : -framework GLUT;-framework Cocoa

-- Found OpenAL

-- SDL Found

CMake Error at /Applications/CMake 2.6-2.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:270 (message):
   A required package was not found
 Call Stack (most recent call first):
   /Applications/CMake 2.6-2.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:322 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
   FindFFMPEG.cmake:26 (pkg_check_modules)
   CMakeLists.txt:690 (find_package)
I've installed ffmpeg with macports, and in the CMake config I have the following option:

FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR               /opt/local/include/ffmpeg 
and I've gone through the filesystem to verify that the "ffmpeg" headers are indeed in this directory. Nevertheless, when I press "c" to run the configuration again, I still get the same output. I guess I'm at a bit of a standstill, as I'm out of ideas as to what else to do. :?
evizitei
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by evizitei »

What's particularly interesting is that I used to get a message from CMake saying "What the hell, no FFMpeg". Now, after installing FFMpeg, that message is gone, but I still have this output saying a required package wasn't found.

CMake Error at /Applications/CMake 2.6-2.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:270 (message):
   A required package was not found
 Call Stack (most recent call first):
   /Applications/CMake 2.6-2.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:322 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
   FindFFMPEG.cmake:26 (pkg_check_modules)
   CMakeLists.txt:690 (find_package)
In fact, I tossed another message into the first branch of the FFMPEG_FOUND conditional (line 691 of CMakeLists.txt) saying "FFMPEG Found", and I actually get that message output when I run the configuration, so it at least thinks it found ffmpeg. So I'm not sure what's causing this error message.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There is no content for ffmpeg to run ATM so there is no need for it.You should be able to build without it using a configure option done it my self on fedora while there package did not have swsacle included which is one of our requirements of ffmpeg.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
evizitei
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by evizitei »

Sorry to bother, I'm just not sure how to tell CMake to ignore ffmpeg during configuration. Could you point me in the right direction (either to the docs section that covers it, or just the instructions)?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Build systems never cease to flatter me with their inability to override built-in checks--which is stupid because the whole point should be to improve compatibility between systems, not just outright fail if everything is not 100% perfect.

You're going to have to use google for this--any luck? Alternatively, if we could change the cmake script so that it sets a "#define" constant but doesn't actually fail the biuld process if you are missing something from ffmpeg.

Alternatively, you can use the autoconf build system which still works. I am personally still using it on most of my build trees.