Compiling with Code::Blocks

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
MoonKid
Merchant
Merchant

Compiling with Code::Blocks

Post by MoonKid »

I am using Code::Blocks build from SVN on WindowsXP.
I checked out the current VegaStrike SVN.

I didn't found the current "C++ Toolkit" from Windows because the download side confusing. I downloaded and installed "MS Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition". Is this correct? I think the needed MS build environment (compiler, linker, etc) should be somewhere in there?!
Of course I found them in "C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin".

I modified the compiler settings in Code::Blocks to fit to my installed "MS Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition".
And as described in the Wiki I imported trunk/vega-vc8/vegastrike.sln with Code::Blocks.

This work without fatal errors. But...
Now I have a workspace with 10 projects in it.
AsterGet, TriSort, mission, savegame, soundserver, texturizer, vegastrike, vssetup, vsserver, vsacctserver.
What is what and what do I need? Where can I found the doc about it.

btw: I have to say that the wiki is to old. A lot of informations in there are old and false!

I used "vegastrike" project. There are some missing files in it.
vega-vc8/config.h
vega-vc8/jpeg-6b/jmorecfg.h
I think there are much more in that and the other projects. What is behind that? Maybe I have to run a batchfile or config script before that?

There are four "Build targets" for that project.
Release Win32
Debug Win32
Release GLUT Win32
Debug GLUT Win32

What is the differences between non-GLUT and GLUT configurations?

I tried to build with "Debug Win32".
That is my build log
[code]-------------- Build: Debug Win32 in vegastrike ---------------

cl.exe /nologo /D_DEBUG /DNDEBUG /DYY_NEVER_INTERACTIVE /DBOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /DHAVE_AL /DHAVE_SDL /DYY_ALWAYS_INTERACTIVE /DSDL_WINDOWING /DHAVE_BOOST /DHAVE_PYTHON /DHAVE_OGG /DJPEG_SUPPORT /DBOOST_PYTHON_NO_PY_SIGNATURES /DBOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_LIB /DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB /DOPCODE_COLLIDER /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE /D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE /W /ZI /Od /MDd /Zm500 /Iinclude\ /Iinclude\python /I. /I..\vegastrike\boost\1_35\ /I..\vegastrike\src\ /I..\vegastrike\vc98\ /I..\vegastrike\src\cmd\collide2 /I"C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include" /c jpeg-6b\jcapimin.cpp /Fovegastrike_Win32_Debug\jpeg-6b\jcapimin.obj
cl.exe /nologo /D_DEBUG /DNDEBUG /DYY_NEVER_INTERACTIVE /DBOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /DHAVE_AL /DHAVE_SDL /DYY_ALWAYS_INTERACTIVE /DSDL_WINDOWING /DHAVE_BOOST /DHAVE_PYTHON /DHAVE_OGG /DJPEG_SUPPORT /DBOOST_PYTHON_NO_PY_SIGNATURES /DBOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_LIB /DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB /DOPCODE_COLLIDER /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE /D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE /W /ZI /Od /MDd /Zm500 /Iinclude\ /Iinclude\python /I. /I..\vegastrike\boost\1_35\ /I..\vegastrike\src\ /I..\vegastrike\vc98\ /I..\vegastrike\src\cmd\collide2 /I"C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include" /c jpeg-6b\jcapistd.cpp /Fovegastrike_Win32_Debug\jpeg-6b\jcapistd.obj
cl : Befehlszeile error D8004 : "/W" erfordert ein Argument.
Process terminated with status 2 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings[/code]

I am not sure what this "/W" option is about. Maybe it depends on the version differences between the imported vegastrike.sln and my used MS compiler?
My compiler is 9.0 and the vegastrike.sln is from a 8.0 project because of its vega-vc8 directory. I am right?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Compiling with Code::Blocks

Post by loki1950 »

Not sure i have only built Linux side. of all the project files you really only need vegastrike, vssetup, while if you want to run a server add vsserver, vsacctserver to the list.Does Code::Blocks support cmake if so you may get better mileage as the cmake scripts are made to be cross-platform.I believe that the /W option has to do with the level of warnings that the compiler prints out.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
MoonKid
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MoonKid »

Thank you for your fast reply to my post.

I think I need to make my "question" more concrete.
Is there someone who build VegaString on Windows with Code::Blocks and can help me?

Can you describe the cmake thing? I think there is no need for an IDE to handle this.
Is it like make or mingw32-make? Can I start the build process with cmake from comandline?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Cmake is very similar to make but cross-platform linux,windows and OSX check there site http://www.cmake.org/ as far as i know the cmake files in svn are up to date as i used them two weeks ago when safemode made a commit.There is a GUI for cmake itself but i have not used it windows side(borked boot sector ATM :twisted: )and a cmd-line version.Again sorry i have not built windows side so my experience is very limited.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Unfortunately I have not been successful at producing a usable binary using VC+ 2008.
I think one of the libraries such as python is incompatible and just crashes when trying to call its functions. The solution would be to rebuild all the *.lib files using 2008.

The only known working windows builds are with VC 7.1 and 8.0 (2005 had a free express version but microsoft may have taken it down when they released 2008).
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I would be interested to hear what IDE linux devs are using for compiling/debugging. Besides command line tools, I have been testing KDevelop. At least I can compile the default (release) configuration. But in debug configuration it complains about missing make/autogen files:

Code: Select all

There is neither a Makefile.cvs file nor an autogen.sh script in the project directory.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Can you change the name of the autogen file to say "bootstrap-sh"?

Alternatively, you could make a symlink, like:
ln -s bootstrap-sh autogen.sh

Also, it should just be called "Makefile", not "Makefile.cvs" -- Not sure where it is getting that idea from.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

ace123 wrote:Alternatively, you could make a symlink, like:
ln -s bootstrap-sh autogen.sh
Thanks. That did the trick.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

I'm late to the party, but here are my notes on compiling the SVN with the VC toolkit 2003 and code::blocks:

you can find the toolkit by googling "vctoolkitsetup.exe" - first link has an easy download:)

to get rid of the /W error, open the project's properties (right click>properties>build targets>select your target, e.g. Release-Win32>click on "build options") and in "compiler settings>other options" there's the /W - change that to /W2 or something; also add /EHsc to the compiler options, or else the linker will barf at the very end and you'll have to recompile the whole project. Then go to linker settings, and add "/NODEFAULTLIB:libcmt" to other linker options.

next you'll run into error RC1015: cannot open include file 'afxres.h' - to get rid of that, first go into settings>compiler and debugger>search directories>resource compiler, and add the platform SDK/include directory to it (it's not added automatically, so the rc doesn't know where to look). Then in Resources.rc change #include "afxres.h" to #include <WinResrc.h> and save.

From this point on it should compile fine.

BTW, I used the vega-vc7 project for the above, and the psdk for win XP SP2 http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/pla ... nstall.htm just because it's significantly smaller than later psdks.

(edit: I have a stripped down version of the PSDK with the fluff you don't need pruned out, here you are: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KXZDDYGK If you want it, I have a similarly stripped down version of the DirectX9 SDK)
Last edited by shenle on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

thanks shenle glad someone got running with code::blocks and i don't think we have any need for DX9 as we use OpenGL for the graphics and SDL for I/O

shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

loki1950 wrote:thanks shenle glad someone got running with code::blocks and i don't think we have any need for DX9 as we use OpenGL for the graphics and SDL for I/O

LOL yes but once you have such a nice setup you may want to compile DirectX stuff as well. :)

I have to say I like the Code::Blocks+VC toolkit setup much better than my other compile option, which is VC++ .NET 2003 and Intel compiler. Build time is about half (1h vs. almost 2h on the same CPU), disk usage is only 200M vs. >2G, and the executables are about 20% smaller.
make me a sandwich
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

That sounds good. Is there a how-to?
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Well my post above is pretty much the how-to, if you don't consider basic things such as setting code::blocks so it works with the VC toolkit etc.

If you want a step-by-step guide:
-download the VC toolkit and install it
-download the PSDK and unrar it somewhere
-download code:blocks and install it (I use the latest build, which is 8.02)
-configure code:blocks, meaning: go to settings>compiler&debugger, select your toolchain, then go into search directories and under compiler add the include directories of the toolkit and of the PSDK; under linker add the lib directories of the same; and under resource compiler, the include directory of the PSDK
-file>import project>MS visual studio solution and choose vega-vc7/vegastrike.sln
-make the changes as in my above post
-in project properties, select the appropriate build directory and target directory/filename (I keep several past builds, so I change the output filename with each build)
-build project
-go get a coffee or something until it's finished
-play :)
make me a sandwich
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

Uhm, I get

..\vegastrike\Resources.rc(21) : error RC2135 : file not found: LANG_ENGLISH
..\vegastrike\Resources.rc(58) : error RC2135 : file not found: IDI_ICON4
..\vegastrike\Resources.rc(65) : error RC2135 : file not found: VS_VERSION_INFO
..\vegastrike\Resources.rc(66) : error RC2135 : file not found: 0
..\vegastrike\Resources.rc(67) : error RC2135 : file not found: 0
..\vegastrike\Resources.rc(68) : error RC2135 : file not found: 0x3fL
..\vegastrike\Resources.rc(74) : error RC2135 : file not found: FILEOS
..\vegastrike\Resources.rc(75) : error RC2135 : file not found: 0x1L
..\vegastrike\Resources.rc(78) : error RC2164 : unexpected value in RCDATA
..\vegastrike\Resources.rc(80) : error RC2135 : file not found: BLOCK
..\vegastrike\Resources.rc(82) : error RC2135 : file not found: VALUE
I'm on a windows 2000 system if it matters ..
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

resource files are not important, so best would be to exclude it from the project (or delete the file, or make it empty, whatever you have to do). The only difference will be that vegastrike.exe will not have an icon (shows with the generic window picture), and it will have no embedded version information (which is out of date anyway).

The strange thing is even VC6's resource compiler was able to handle those files, but it looks like CodeBlocks doesn't even understand the format or something.
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

No Code::Blocks can handle it, but I messed up and somehow, maybe by uncommenting this line, wrote

<WinResrc.h>
instead of

#include <WinResrc.h>
Now I am looking for required <dsound.h>
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

you shouldn't need dsound.h. Which file is requiring it?

If you do indeed need a header file, easiest way is from open source libraries (easiest just google for dsound.h -- both the wine and the reactos project should have a gpl version)

If the free ones do not work, you might have to install the DirectX SDK (this is different from platform SDK but bigger and more annoying to install) I haven't had to install this in a long time so I somehow assumed you don't need one.
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

alc.h in vega-vc7 needs it.
I finished downloading the dxsdk, but better if i can do without it.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Here is the minimal DirectX9 SDK, a 16M download. There's dsound.h in there.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AB9TR3LV

(later edit) Here is also a very minimal version of the DIrectX 8 SDK from the Allegro project. Should be very usable for anything we use the XP PSDK for :)
http://alleg.sourceforge.net/files/dx80_mgw.zip
Last edited by shenle on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
make me a sandwich
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

Thanks for the minimal directx sdk. I used dsound.h from reactos in between as Ace recommended.

It finished building with no errors.

Now I have a probably silly question: In win32\bin there is no .exe as I would have expected.
Is the linking step separate fom building the vegastrike directory?!?
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

If you haven't specified a path/filename like I said, look in the data directory, I think that's the default place to put the exe. I mean the main data directory that you got through svn, not the one under win32.

Or else just look at the build log, it'll tell you where the file went.
make me a sandwich
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

It seems building stopped because the drive was full :roll:

I now get linker errors:

LINK||warning LNK4098: Standardbibliothek "MSVCRT" steht in Konflikt mit anderen Bibliotheken; /NODEFAULTLIB:Bibliothek verwenden.|
LINK||warning LNK4098: Standardbibliothek "LIBCMT" steht in Konflikt mit anderen Bibliotheken; /NODEFAULTLIB:Bibliothek verwenden.|
Which of the libraries should I put in /NODEFAULTLIB: under project linker options, MSVCRT or LIBCMT or both?
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

I have all of these:
/NODEFAULTLIB:libc
/NODEFAULTLIB:libcd
/NODEFAULTLIB:msvcrtd
/NODEFAULTLIB:libcmt

(I had to add the last one when it complained about it)
make me a sandwich
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

I'm trying to build with the Debug Win32 version although I got a bit confused and compiled with /ZI instead of /Zi and /D_DEBUG :| which probably is nonsense.
In the linking step, I got a missing something error in libpng3, so I compiled libpng13 and linked with that 8o)
So, I copied the .exe over to my installation of 0.5.0
Now I got so far that it starts, the graphics display, and some png files names are being displayed(and loaded i guess).
But then it stops. Any ideas?

stdout:

In path C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0\bin
Windows version 5 0
Vega Strike  
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

Using .vegastrike-0.5.0 as the home directory
Found MODDIR = C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0/mods
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.05
stderr:

GOT SUBDIR ARG = 
Found data in C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0\bin/..
Using C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0 as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0/.vegastrike-0.5.0 As the home directory 
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0/.vegastrike-0.5.0/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0/vegastrike.config
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0\modules\builtin",r"C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0\modules\quests",r"C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0\modules\missions",r"C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0\modules\ai",r"C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0\modules",r"C:\Programme\games\Vega Strike\Vegastrike-0.5.0\bases"]
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
OpenGL Extensions supported: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_clear_tag GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fence GL_NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program_option GL_NV_fragment_program2 GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage GL_NV_half_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_expand_normal GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control 
OpenGL::GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array unsupported
OpenGL::GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays supported
OpenGL::Accurate Fog Distance supported
OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::Multitexture supported (4 units)
OpenGL::TextureCubeMapExt supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Edge supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Border supported
OpenGL::EXTColorTable unsupported
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

It's a bit tricky if you do not have a debugger to use. Can you try changing some settings around?

Since it's possible that there were some more messages on stdout before it died, one thing to try is to do setbuf(stdout,NULL); in one of the lines of "int main()" in main.c, but make sure it is outside of any #ifdef...#endif