MinGW support

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
MoonKid
Merchant
Merchant

MinGW support

Post by MoonKid »

As I see in the Wiki there is now support for MinGW. Am I right or is the Wiki to old?

I just can find a Cygwin support, but no one need it because of MinGW.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Re: MinGW support

Post by ace123 »

That means that somebody at some point updated the build scripts so as to be compatible with windows.
But AFAIK none of the developers actively use mingw or cygwin to build VS -- when I happen to be on windows I use Visual C++.

If you are up for a bit of hacking, and you happen to have all the dependencies compiled for windows, it should be possible.
MoonKid
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MoonKid »

Ok, but why isn't there support for GPL and crossplatform IDEs like Code::Blocks or Eclipse?

Why does a project like VS that accent its opensource-gpl-thing so much use a closedsource-MS-plattformdepended IDE like Visual Studio?
There should be no technical reason for that!
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Simple answer: None of the devs AFAIK write C++ code in windows, and the only reason we have ported to vc8 was because microsoft released a free (as in beer) compiler, so at least it would not cost any money to build VS. As for why we don't use Cygwin, it introduces a huge number of dependencies, and cygwin's unix emulation for certain things has a performance impact. Unfortunately that's one of the technical reasons for not going with cygwin directly.

But one thing that annoys me about windows is that a complete rebuild using VC++ takes 15 times longer than a compile on Linux for me (i.e. ~50 minutes versus 2:40). Would be great if you could get it working well with MinGW (i.e. no weird cygwin dependencies) as I suspect even mingw gcc is a bit more efficient in that regard.

In fact I remember a wiki page on using CodeBlocks, but it is drastically outdated. It would be awesome if you could get things working with CodeBlocks or with Eclipse. Do these systems use autoconf? Or does it need a special Makefile?

If you hit a stumbling block along the way (compile error or missing dependency) then we can try to work it out. Any progress?
MoonKid
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MoonKid »

[quote="ace123"]Simple answer: None of the devs AFAIK write C++ code in windows[/quote]

Ah I see.

[quote="ace123"]Would be great if you could get it working well with MinGW
In fact I remember a wiki page on using CodeBlocks, but it is drastically outdated. It would be awesome if you could get things working with CodeBlocks or with Eclipse. Do these systems use autoconf? Or does it need a special Makefile?

If you hit a stumbling block along the way (compile error or missing dependency) then we can try to work it out. Any progress?[/quote]

Of course I would use MinGW without Cygwin. All my plattformindepended projects are build with MinGW and Code::Blocks as IDE (I am using windows primary).
I have never used Makefiles for my own projects. Code::Blocks do this for me. There is a plugin to create makefiles of a Code::Blocks project. But I think if I get VS work with Code::Blocks we would find someone who create a good MinGW makefile for us.

I will set it on my TODO list. ;)