12399 compiles; red screen on run; no graphics

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

12399 compiles; red screen on run; no graphics

Post by Melonhead »

Okay, I'm really new at this, and am guessing I've missed something really obvious.

I'm using Visual C++ 2005 Express on a WinXP SP2 system, dual core AMD 64 with 2 GB memory and an ATI Radeon graphics card. I have installed the Win 2003 Server R2 SDK and set the dependencies in VC 2005. I have an up-to-date SVN via Tortoise 1.5.

The problem: Vegastrike vega-vc8 compiles okay (a few warnings, but no errors). When I try to run (or debug) I get no graphics, just a red screen (music plays okay). The "loading" files on the lower left proceed normally. When the load finishes, still no graphic--just the red screen. I've tried changing the vegastrike.config graphics settings (using setup.exe), without luck.

I've posted two stderr.txt--one is for PU, but the same problem occurs with straight VegaStrike, which I renamed stderrVS.txt for the upload.

What the heck am I doing wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Which ATI graphics card and do you have the latest drive as i see this in the stderr

Code: Select all

OpenGL::Accurate Fog Distance unsupported

OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression unsupported

OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression unsupported

OpenGL::Multitexture unsupported

OpenGL::TextureCubeMapExt unsupported
as we now use compression on almost all the textures that is most likely the cause of the red screen

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Melonhead »

I'm using an ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 PCI Express, with the latest drivers.

The previous stderr.txt was with all the graphics dialed down to minimum, since I thought that might have been part of the problem. But, the stderr.txt attached to this post is from 0.4.3 with the graphics dialed back to maximum--the only item showing unsupported is "accurate fog distance." Would that prevent the initial splash screen from loading with the 0.5 engine?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

What may be happening is that the latest version expects the textures to have new extensions on the texture and image files and chuck and the PU crew have not done the converting yet so a quick post to there forum may be in order and does the binary in the PU svn repo work for you ATM so we can start to eliminate some possibilities.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Melonhead »

That makes sense, but it won't run as VegaStrike, either--I get VS music, but still the red screen. Are the VS graphics extensions updated?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Yes. All texture extensions are correct in svn and compatible with the svn code base. executables or data cannot be interchanged between 0.4.3 (or even 0.5.0) and svn versions since the conversion of extensions happened after the 0.5.0 release.
The problem looks more like graphics card does not support texture compression, which is bad.
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Melonhead »

The problem looks more like graphics card does not support texture compression, which is bad.
That's the part I can't figure out--my card tells me when running VegaStrike 0.4.3 or the released 0.5.0 that texture compression is supported (the separate stderr.txt, third one posted). And, both release versions of VS work fine, so I assume I'm missing something in setting up my configuration to compile from the SVN.