cmake compiling error

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
STEVE555
Hunter
Hunter

cmake compiling error

Post by STEVE555 »

Hi everyone,
I've just tried to compile my SVN version of vegastrike using Safemodes' new cmake file.I've followed his advice through the posts about reporting my compilng problems and his replies.

I do now have a new error,I have attached a new cmake error.tx to this post.

Regards,
STEVE555
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Box:
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Processor:AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 460 Processor
RAM:4 Gb
Graphics Card:ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU 1Gb RAM
Hardrive:Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Soundcard:Realtek
shadow_slicer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by shadow_slicer »

It looks like it wasn't able to find the include files for ffmpeg. Do you have the development packages for ffmpeg installed (libavcodec-dev and libavformat-dev)?

If you have it installed you could look in the CMake cache file and check that it has FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR set to the correct directory -- mine says

Code: Select all

FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/include/ffmpeg 
STEVE555
Hunter
Hunter

Post by STEVE555 »

Hi shadow_slicer,
I have installed both libavcodec-dev and libavformat-dev,I have even compiled my version of SVN ffmpeg.I am still getting the same error.
I have also looked to see if I had FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/usr/include/ffmpeg listed in my cmakecache.txt,it has ffmpeg in lower case,but not capitals.

I have attached both my CmakeCache.txt and my latest cmake error.txt to my latest reply.

Regards,
STEVE555
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Box:
Hardrive:Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
shadow_slicer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by shadow_slicer »

It looks like you also need libswscale-dev . I didn't realize there were so many ffmpeg packages...
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Indeed, there are quite a few, though if you compile ffmpeg, you dont realize it.

Right now i've made everything a requirement, to troubleshoot my cmake setup. In the future when the cmake system is mature in VS, these things that aren't necessary will be made optional, and wont generate errors, just little warnings.

thanks for testing it up. I'm looking towards a new update in it this week, helping out our pkg-config deficient friends.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
STEVE555
Hunter
Hunter

Post by STEVE555 »

Hi everyone,
I've installed the package libswscale-dev,but I'm still getting cmake compile errors.I've even uninstalled my svn version of ffmpeg,just in case it was conflicting with my ffmpeg packages from Adept Manager.

I've attached my latest build sequence with this reply.

regards,
STEVE555
My Box:
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

you didn't remove your /usr/local copies of the ffmpeg headers and possibly libs.
STEVE555
Hunter
Hunter

Post by STEVE555 »

Hi Safemode,
I've followed your advice and I put the offending ffmpeg folder from /usr/local/include/ and put it into my temp folder,just in case I need it.

Thankfully,it has gone past the swscale stage until it came up with another problem,it is looking for gtk.h,but I'm sure I have GTK-2.0 and the dev packages installed.

I have attached another .txt. file to show where it has got to.

Regards,
STEVE555
My Box:
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

are you using cmake 2.4 or cmake 2.6? Something tells me that since you're still using ubuntu, that you're using 2.4 (maybe now's a good time to graduate to Debian :) ). It could be that the GTK2 module in 2.4 uses a different variable for the GTK2_INCLUDE_DIRS.

I haven't had a whole lot of time this week to get with the 2.4 updates and pkg-config workarounds for win32 and mac. I'm hoping to get that stuff done soon.

You could check /usr/share/cmake-2.4 (if you have 2.4) and look in the modules dir and see what the FindGTK2.cmake file says is the equivilant to the GTK2_INCLUDE_DIRS variable, then hand edit the CMakeLists.txt file in /setup so you use that one.

of course, if you are using 2.6, then something more interesting is wrong.
STEVE555
Hunter
Hunter

Post by STEVE555 »

Hi Safemode,
I'm using cmake version 2.6 that I downloaded,./configured,make and make installed from source from the cmake website.

Currently,I'm using Kubuntu Hardy Heron(the stable version for now until Intrepid Ibex Alpha1 comes out :wink: )I have thought about debian,but I weren't sure about switching over,I'll have a look to see if it has the latest features.

Regards,
STEVE555
My Box:
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The only reference I see to compile flags for gtk 2.0 is here:

-- Found GTK2: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so;/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so;/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so;/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so;/usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so;/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so;/usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so;/usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so;/usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so;/usr/lib/libgtkgl.so

But shouldn't there be some header paths in there? It should have a "-I/usr/include/gtk-2.0" since that's a standard path for GTK-2.
Or at the very least, it should have been checking for the existence of the header, like:
-- Looking for include files HAVE_GTK_GTK_H
-- Looking for include files HAVE_GTK_GTK_H - found

Safemode, would it be possible to print out the CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS from each step into the debug log, so that it is easier to debug the problem?
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

at the bottom of the CMakeLists.txt file i have some commented out lines that output our includes and libs variables like autoconf's configure does at the end of it's run.

You can comment out yours and check what it's detected and going to use.

also, run with make VERBOSE=1 so I can see for that file what is being sent to g++.
huginn
Merchant
Merchant

Post by huginn »

Hello safemode, I'm following your suggesting and testing cmake. I must admit, that I do not have knowledge about both autotools and cmake. I just use them as described in READMEs, INSTALLs, forum posts, whatever ...

So my first try failed with the following output

Code: Select all

-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
-- Check size of void*
-- Check size of void* - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Boost was not found. Set the Boost_INCLUDE_DIR cmake cache entry to the direc
tory containing the boost include files. E.g /usr/local/include/boost-1_33_1 or
c:\boost\include\boost-1_33_1
-- Using Internal Boost !
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
$HOME/usr/src/vegastrike/FindFFMPEG.cmake:24:
INCLUDE Could not find include file: FindPkgConfig
Current CMake stack: $HOME/usr/src/vegastrike/CMakeLists.txt;/usr/share/
cmake-2.4/Modules/CMakeCInformation.cmake;/usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/CMakeCXXI
nformation.cmake;$HOME/usr/src/vegastrike/FindFFMPEG.cmake;$HOME
/usr/src/vegastrike/FindPkgConfig
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
$HOME/usr/src/vegastrike/FindFFMPEG.cmake:26:
Unknown CMake command "pkg_check_modules".
-- Configuring done
(The $HOMEs are my editorial changes)

I use Kubuntu Feisty (7.04) and thus cmake 2.4. I installed all the dev packages mentioned in this thread from medibuntu. But my educated guess is that this problem is not related with ffmpeg.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

no, it's related to your base cmake installation. In 2.6 (and i thought even 2.4) you get a FindPkgConfig.cmake file in /usr/share/cmake-2.4/Modules/ . This is not being found.

Stupid crap ubuntu insists on shipping this outdated cmake and it really aggravates me. What could have been a very simple and straightforward cmake file is now going to have to re-create a lot of 2.6 functionality just so 2.4 doesn't have a hissy fit. Blah.

I've gotta put in work-arounds to pkg-config anyway since win32 and mac aren't gonna support it. Oh well.
huginn
Merchant
Merchant

Post by huginn »

Ah, I see. Do you plan on keeping support for 2.4? Or should I somehow update to cmake 2.6 manually as 2.6 will be mandatory for the next stable release?

If this is not the case, I'll happily play the cmake user living on a backward planet. :)
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

in the end, 2.4 will probably be supported. but 2.4 wont be in wide use. 2.6 is much much better and has been out for a while, the only 2.4 users will be people running old ubuntu versions soon.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Fedora still is using 2.4 as well i'll check the testing repos to see if 2.6 is in the pipe

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2