Mac Problems cont.

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Mac Problems cont.

Post by bgaskey »

Here's my new baffling mystery for everyone to pore over. I get terrible performance for some reason, and I may have found the root of my problem. For some reason, the compiled executable file is 500 MB instead of the 15 or so it should be.
Performance isn't affected (effected?) by resolution, detail settings, etc. loading is really slow (10 min or more to load) and shaders don't seem to work. Also, it seg faults about fifteen seconds after launching :? . Hope someone can help...
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

500MB sounds to me like you built with debug symbols (they can be huge!)

Perhaps you can try debugging it... do a "gdb ./vegastrike" from inside of the Vega.app/Contents/MacOS directory. Then type "run" and "bt full" when it crashes, and post the output... Also try to get 5-10 lines of output before the "Segmentation Fault" so that I have a better idea of what it's doing.

If debugging isn't important and you want a smaller executable, try --enable-release (this may also help with the performance problem).

How much RAM do you have? It may be swapping or something else bad.

I don't have many problems on 10.5.2, Macbook with 2GB ram.

The thing I had to do to get GDB to work without crashing with an internal error was first to download the gdb-908 source from Apple, then apply a patch from here:
http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2007-09/msg00176.html