compile problem: all memory exhausted!

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
Smoke

compile problem: all memory exhausted!

Post by Smoke »

After having read other suggestions here about using the :--add-missing" flags to automake and "--enable-boost-128" to configure, I managed to get all the way through the configure process and begin compiling without problems. Then I ran into this one...

When it gets to src/cmd/script/c_alike.tab.cpp, it seems to spend an inordinate amount of time compiling such a small file. Then the compiler errors out, having used up all my system memory and swap, some 384MB!

I've seen this before, when compiling xmame.x11. In that case, quiting X frees up enough memory for it to link in all those 4000-odd game drivers. It didn't help here, though. I even added another 256MB of swap space temporarily, but the compilation of this one file even used that up, too, for a total of 640MB!

I can't believe it really takes that much memory to compile this one file. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though, and let me know how much more I need :) It seems to me my compiler is setting stuck on this file for some reason... I'm using gcc 2.95.2. Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening here?

Thanks,
-Smoke.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I see dead polygons....
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

That was it, thanks!

B*B,
-Smoke.