EeePC issues ...

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

EeePC issues ...

Post by GAlex »

maybe the wong forum, if so forgive me and move this post in the right one.

tryed to compile and run svn 11947 on my EeePc 4G (701), just to see if it could handle somethin' bulky as Vegastrike, and ...

IT WORKS GREAT!!! 8)

compiling was straightforward, no warning, no errors.

about 15mins to have everything working.

since the small 7" wide LCD of the li'l asus, i had to hack a little the vegastrike.conf to get a fullscreen res of 800x480 (aspect ratio 1.6).

so tried ./vegastrike ...

... it loads ...

... it starts ...

... BUT :evil: ...

the default mission loaded was "misions/mission1" instead of "missions/main_menu.mission" (or what the hell is named)

so i passed the mission as an argument and it loands the main menu screen.

the fonts are messed a bit, but quite readable;

it cannot find units data, so there are bases and planets, but no hud, no cross, no ship meshes's, and the nav-comp is REALLY messed up.

any suggestion?
"Eppur si muove ..."
(Galileo Galilei just after abjuring to the Inquisition)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Looks like your data4x may be corrupted

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

loki1950 wrote:Looks like your data4x may be corrupted

so it was.

deleted data4.x (was messed) and done a new svn checkout.

it works. game starts. slowly, but starts!

with full shader support and extreme details framerate drops down to 8fps.

with no shader support and high details it runs quite smooth at 24-30fps.

i think we can add a new platform on which vegastrike can be compiled and run on.
"Eppur si muove ..."
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Yeah it is a nice new toy been following the experiences of a couple of the regulars on the Linux Format forum replacing Xandros with Ubuntu or MInt or even an other flavour 8)

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

cool glad you could get it to work. but doesn't the svn co take up like 1/2 of your drive?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Of course that really depends on whether he has the 4G or 8G version of the wee beastie :wink:

Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

Does the aspect show correctly? I found on a full size widescreen, all the planets and ships are stretched unless you update the line in vegastrike.config that sets "aspect=1.33", as the individual resolution aspects did nothing for me. Config may have been overhauled since then though...
Save The Economy
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10605

My boxes: Dual Opteron 280s, Geforce 7600, 2GB RAM, but waiting for a new PSU! grrr...
500 MHz Compaq laptop that gives DC electric burns
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That was noticed by safemode and corrected when he did his rework of the low-res options.

ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

What Video chip does the EEE have? You can find this by running "lspci" and pasting the output, or look for the VGA adapter line, e.g.
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600 GTS (rev a1)
Can you try running with a "low/average" shader. Running without shaders should not be needed on very many graphics chips.
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

sorry for late reply, but here it's 9p.m. and i'm just back home from work!

my EeePC 701 has 4GB ssd but uses an external h.d. auto-alimented by usb (it's a simple western digital storagemaster 160GB) for everything that is not OS-related since in my first intentions the li'l beast should have been my 4yo daughter PC (i'm teaching her the basic of programming and she can already write some kinky code in python and some good segfault code in c).

so everything it's mine stays on that h.d. which is the size of 2 credit cards and 1 cm tall.

i've also fitted a 8GB High Speed SD card in the appropriate slot, for my documents (videos, mp3s, photos, drawings made with tuxpaint, etc.)

the gfx card of EeePC is an intel gma900, so it only have shader 2 support. the memory has been upgraded to 1GB, but since the eeePc doesn't use any swap partition, I cannot use it so much.
moreover, the gfx card shares it's 64Mb memory. no much to spare!.

well, at least it works.

this night i'll sync with svn 11953, recompile, and try with simple shader support and extreme details.

supposed framerate 2-4 fps. i'll let you know.

maybe i'm using all the gfx memory by specifying the 1024Mb Ram?

should i switch to 512 or better 256 to speed-up the loading and reduce the memory usage?
"Eppur si muove ..."
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

if your card doesn't do hardware S3TC compression, you'll have bad performance as you'll be using a crazy amount of memory for graphics. You can check via glxinfo

Also, you can drop almost a hundred MB by removing /data4.x/bin

You could also try loopback mounting data4.x on a cramFS filesystem. DDS files compress extremely well with normal gzip/bzip2 methods, and you can really decrease the filesystem footprint at the expense of read latency
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

it's not a matter of space, as of resources.

load times improves incredibly by setting 256RAM (startup in 2 mins), but low graphic performance are the point.

there is quite no framerate difference between full-shader and no-shader and there is only a little difference from extreme-details to medium-details.

tested this night with full-shader and extreme-details, and got 12-14fps that drops to 2-4 in combat or approach to a station or planet.

i think the eeepc resources are overwhelmed by dds texture compression and texture size.

i've had an idea: i'll try to modify my data-dir as to have a "light" version (i.e. smaller texture size and no dds compression), but my question is: can i alter the texture and save them in another format? and which formats are supported? can I save them to pngs? and can I do this via batch using a tool to de-DDScompress?
"Eppur si muove ..."
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

there is no lighter weight than dds.

if you dont make the textures dds, then i hope you have > 256MB of video ram, because you'll need that to hold the textures that get loaded for a single system. Forget it in SOL system, you'll need more than 512MB of video ram.

Decompressing DDS in software is quite fast, and you dont need to generate mipmaps. I assume your machine cant to DDS if loading is taking so long (would indicate software dds), so you still wont load faster with jpg / png than with dds. As your system would have to decompress png/jpg (more complicated than dds, and slower) and then generate mipmaps.

I also hope you have at least 512MB of ram (not counting at least 128MB olf video ram), for VS. Otherwise there is no helping you as far as loading speed and video ram use.

The only way to really help things would be to run retro mode. Textures are all quite small.

edit:
The only thing I would say you'd benefit from is the much smaller filesize of a jpg in place of the dds files. Your file transferrate would have to be so slow that a much longer decompression and generation of mipmaps is faster than reading in the difference in filesize. That would be quite amazingly slow. You'd have to have a drive stuck in pio mode with a relatively fast processor for this to be true.

In any case, this will only speed up load time. I suggest trying retro mode, if that helps significantly, perhaps you could set the max texture size down to 512 for your higher quality levels.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

If thats the problem, changing the max texture size may help. However, I think that the video hardware doesn't have enough power to render the frames and falls behind. It may just be a matter of insufficient resources, as vegastrike is a 3d game with all the baggage that entails. You may not see much better than that without using retro mode, which has been recently fixed to help alot. That post was kinda redundant. 8) :wink: :?