Ubuntu 7.10 SVN issues / comments

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
spiffariffic
Trader
Trader

Ubuntu 7.10 SVN issues / comments

Post by spiffariffic »

As I compiled the SVN (11862) I had a few issues, most of which I resolved. I followed the instructions on HowTo:Compile_from_SVN

I attempted to compile 4 times, the last one it worked.

The first compile the problem was with the GPP C++ compiler (don't know if that's the right term) I installed G++ and all was well.

Most of the problems with compiling were with not having the right packages. Second try I didn't have the expat-dev package.

Third try, because I didn't have the libpng3, I used the

Code: Select all

--with-png-inc=<DIR>
but I didn't have the right dir, but I found it eventually (my mistake there).

Fourth (finally) it worked with the command line

$ ./configure --with-data-dir=/home/mike/vs/data4.x/ --with-png-inc=/usr/include/libpng12/ --enable-debug
I also had a problem with make, but after a quick look on the forums here, discovered more packages I was missing.

libvorbis + dev
libsdl-mixer + dev -Then after finishing I then read this isn't used anymore http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=9510.

When I compiled I didn't have any of the inetutils installed, but there were no camplaints (to my knowledge) with the compile or make.

Once all was finished there, I ran the game. It worked (yay!), but a few things were odd.

Make didn't create vssetup. (I'm stumped on this one)

When I ran the game it wasn't fullscreen (vegastrike.config had been set for fullscreen) The game was in a corner of my screen, keeping the mouse only in there. I could still see everything else on the screen it didn't cover. Also the resolution of the screen didn't change. maybe something I missed somewhere?

The final problem is the game doesn't recognize the keypad, when I run the game from the terminal it displays in the middle of the other stuff on program startup

Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Special/EmptyNo such special key: keypad-enter
No such special key: keypad-minus
No such special key: keypad-plus
No such special key: keypad-divide
No such special key: keypad-multiply
No such special key: keypad-8
No such special key: keypad-2
No such special key: keypad-5
No such special key: keypad-4
No such special key: keypad-6
No such special key: pause
No such special key: keypad-3
No such special key: keypad-9
No such special key: keypad-7
No such special key: keypad-1
With num lock it acts as the number keys (top of keyboard) and the regular +-*/ without numlock it ignores the number.

Other than those tiny complaints, the game looks good and plays good (I haven't tested sound yet). I'd like to make a few changes to the HowTo:Compile_from_SVN page but I don't want to play around with it without asking first (and knowing what to change).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

As the no vssetup i have a feeling that you don't have GTK2.0-dev but troll through the configure log to make sure windowed mode is the default and will always be that when ever there is an update to it.so check if you have that dev package and

make vssetup
did you get the other binaries i usually get about 8 of them that NUM lock thing is just the way that keyboards are handled in Linux/Unix.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
spiffariffic
Trader
Trader

Post by spiffariffic »

Aha! That got it. Re compiled, now with the GTK2.0, ran make (first for vssetup, then everything else) again. vssetup works and the game is fullscreen now.

I'm curious as to what the inetutils is used for and why it's part of the HowTo:Compile_from_SVN wiki page

I'll add a few useful packages to the wiki page:

GTK2.0-dev
libvorbis + dev
expat-dev

Then I will see what else I can find and probably raid the bug triage forum. Maybe I'll even play the game :D
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Great now you are set for to build the next update :wink:
Have fun

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2