More troubles with Macs...

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

More troubles with Macs...

Post by bgaskey »

Hi all I'm back, with more intriguing compiler errors on an iMac G5 1.9 GHz 1.5GB 160GB ATI Radeon X600 PRO mac os X 10.4.11 Leopard.
Now, vegastrike still fails to compile. Same as the last thread, it configures fine but finds about 1100 errors in the AI files about something "is not declared in this scope"
I wonder if it is a problem with my gcc because it fails on the first compile command.

Now, vssetup compiles correctly, but when I run it, it fails with

Code: Select all

Terminus:~/VegaStrike/vegastrike bdg$ ./vssetup
Found data in /Users/bdg/VegaStrike/data4.x

(.:18271): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
Isn't that joyous!
Hope you guys can shed some light on this.
Good luck. If you want a peek at the config.log, here it is.
If anyone has gotten it to work correctly on a PowerPC Mac, please share your experiences. Sorry for taking your time again, whoever answers this thread.

Edit: the vssetup is fixed. It turns out you have to run it from an X11 terminal instead of the usual unix terminal on a mac. If only it would compile on there too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

This may be the root of the problem. Before all the not declared's, there is a bunch of file not found's

In file included from src/cmd/ai/comm_ai.h:4,
                 from src/cmd/ai/fire.h:3,
                 from src/cmd/ai/aggressive.h:4,
                 from src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:1:
src/cmd/ai/order.h:32:21: error: gfx/vec.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/order.h:33:27: error: cmd/container.h: No such file or directory
In file included from src/cmd/ai/fire.h:3,
src/cmd/ai/comm_ai.h:5:21: error: gnuhash.h: No such file or directory
In file included from src/cmd/ai/fire.h:4,
src/cmd/ai/event_xml.h:3:25: error: xml_support.h: No such file or directory
In file included from src/cmd/ai/script.h:4,
                 from src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:3:
src/cmd/ai/navigation.h:6:24: error: vegastrike.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/navigation.h:7:24: error: vs_globals.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:7:24: error: config_xml.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:9:30: error: cmd/unit_generic.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:11:36: error: cmd/script/flightgroup.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:14:32: error: cmd/script/mission.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:15:33: error: gfx/cockpit_generic.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:16:22: error: lin_time.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:17:29: error: faction_generic.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:18:30: error: cmd/role_bitmask.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:19:27: error: cmd/unit_util.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:21:21: error: cmd/csv.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:22:27: error: universe_util.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:23:23: error: vs_random.h: No such file or directory
src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp:24:35: error: python/python_compile.h: No such file or directory
I assume these files are where the undeclared functions live. Where could they be?

Edit: they appear to be where it is searching for them, but it specifically does not find these files although it finds the source files it is currently compiling and they reside in the same src/ directory.
Edit 2: The files it does not find it refers to by their file names without src/ at the front whereas the ones it finds have the src/ prefix, however, mucking around in the makefile, I have been unable to change this.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

First, make sure you are running make from *vegastrike* directory, and not from the *src* directory.

Second, I recommend running "make vegastrike" to avoid issues with utility executables.

Can you post the big huge line starting with g++, should looks something like this:
source='src/vsfilesystem.cpp' object='src/vsfilesystem.o' libtool=no \
depfile='src/.deps/vsfilesystem.Po' tmpdepfile='src/.deps/vsfilesystem.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ./depcomp \
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I./boost/1_33 -Wno-long-double -I/Users/patrick/prog/Vega/include -DWITH_MACOSX_BUNDLE=1 -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1 -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.0.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -I/Users/patrick/prog/Vega/include/ -I/Users/patrick/prog/Vega/include/ -I/Users/patrick/prog/Vega/include -DJPEG_SUPPORT -DHAVE_AL=1 -I/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -I/sw/include -I/Users/patrick/prog/Vega/include -DHAVE_OGG -I/usr/include/python2.5 -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I/Users/patrick/prog/Vega/Python-2.4.4/Include -I./src -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I/Users/patrick/prog/Vega/Python-2.4.4/Include -pipe -O0 -g3 -I/Users/patrick/prog/Vega//include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT -c -o src/vsfilesystem.o `test -f 'src/vsfilesystem.cpp' || echo './'`src/vsfilesystem.cpp

Also, could you attach the "config.log" file found in the vegastrike folder to your forum post (use the attach box because it's big).

As to the X11 bug, Apple seems to have fixed that in Leopard... X11 works from any terminal window on my computer.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Cool, just one more reason to switch to Leopard. maybe for Christmas...

This was my config command:

./configure --with-gl-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-gl-inc=/usr/X11R6/include/GL --with-python-libs=/sw/lib/python2.3/config --with-expat-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-expat-inc=/usr/X11R6/include --with-png-libs=/sw/lib --with-png-inc=/sw/include/libpng12 --with-jpeg-libs=/sw/lib --with-jpeg-inc=/sw/include --with-vorbis-libs=/sw/lib --with-vorbis-inc=/sw/include
The compiler command should be in here...

if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -I./boost/1_33  -Wno-long-double -I/sw/include  -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1  -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.0.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes  -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include/libpng12 -I/sw/include -DJPEG_SUPPORT -DHAVE_AL=1 -I/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -I/sw/include -I/sw/include -DHAVE_OGG   -I/usr/include/python2.3 -DHAVE_PYTHON=1    -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I   -I./src   -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I  -pipe   -I/sw/include/SDL -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT -MT src/cmd/ai/aggressive.o -MD -MP -MF "src/cmd/ai/.deps/aggressive.Tpo" -c -o src/cmd/ai/aggressive.o `test -f 'src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp' || echo './'`src/cmd/ai/aggressive.cpp;
however, no source= or depfile= anywhere in the output.
I found a **temporary** workaround by copying the entire src/ directory to vegastrike/ and then compiling, but I feel this is a bad plan for the future... Hope you can finally resolve this problem! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Found the rpoblem

-DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I   -I./src 
There's an empty -I option that's eating up the -I./src after it... why is that happening? Well maybe you need to specify --wih-python-includes=/usr/include
just so it satisfies the script... it might think there has to be a python include option.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Good call ace123. its compiling now. will post next set of errors as soon as they appear.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

ace: it worked like a charm. even the menu loads correctly, which i have never gotten before. Thanks for all the help. Now, to fix my performance problems, but that is a battle for another day.
spatialguru
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by spatialguru »

bgaskey wrote: however, no source= or depfile= anywhere in the output.
I found a **temporary** workaround by copying the entire src/ directory to vegastrike/ and then compiling, but I feel this is a bad plan for the future... Hope you can finally resolve this problem! 8)
I had same issue from recent SVN on Tiger. Instead of moving files around, try:

export CPPFLAGS=-Isrc/
It worked for me.
:)
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

ace123's fix allowed it to compile. you may want to try it in fact, b/c it might have made it find python better?

How are your framerates, spatialguru. mine are terrible, 1/10th of what they should be (imac g5 1.9 GHz 1.5GB Radeon X600)?
If yours are fine, I am really confused about my problems (i think it is something about driver support for the shaders) (see this thread for details http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10074