Has anyone compiled under Leopard

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
lowededwookie
Trader
Trader

Has anyone compiled under Leopard

Post by lowededwookie »

If so how did you do it?

One of the problems with compiling under Mac OS X is it seems to want to point to the 10.3.9 stuff. Most of the 10.3.9 has been removed from Leopard to try and progress development away from legacy stuff. A good move I feel but it seems to play havoc with building Vegastrike and considering the time it seems to be taking to get a proper build from the guys and the comments elsewhere here I'm picking Leopard may be a curse as well as a blessing for this sort of thing.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You need some hacks and a lot of development libraries installed.

I think you can't use the configure script direclty. Instead take a look at intel-mac-conf.sh in the vegastrike directory.

HellcatV compiled the libraries in his version, and if you are interested I can send you all of those files... the build directories for all of them are on the order of a few hundred megs.

You might actually have better luck by using Darwin Ports or Fink to install the libraries... that way you don't have to deal with the mess of compiling them yourself.

In addition, you might need a fixed version of OpenAL with the "Warming the buffers" race condition loop removed (Apple's OpenAL is buggy at least in 10.4... not sure about 10.5).

And you also need SDL.

It's a lot of work but if you are interested in developing on the mac it is usually possible to get it working in a few hours :-)

Also it seems to compile really fast on the mac which is another advantage.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

it is easier said than done on the mac. I have an iMac G5 that I have tried way too many times to compile on (Tiger) and it has worked once a long time ago and only barely. Currently, my build fails with about 9000 errors about not finding any files... oh well. let me know if you get it to work, and mabey it will inspire me to try again. Good Luck :D

Edit: I suggest using Fink to install the dependancies. At least, thats what I did...but mine didn't work...so maybe use macports instead :wink:
lowededwookie
Trader
Trader

Post by lowededwookie »

ace123 wrote:HellcatV compiled the libraries in his version, and if you are interested I can send you all of those files... the build directories for all of them are on the order of a few hundred megs.

You might actually have better luck by using Darwin Ports or Fink to install the libraries... that way you don't have to deal with the mess of compiling them yourself.
I'm fine with using DarwinPorts or Fink but one I have no end of problems installing is GLUT which always fails and DarwinPorts seems to have problems installing it as well. Any idea of a decent way to install this or can VS be installed without it?

I'm not really clued in enough to start messing with config files as I'm only just starting to get into programming (haven't really done any programming since Blitz Basic on the Amiga). Is the file commented enough to allow a novice to workout what's going on?

Thanks so much for the reply BTW.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

You should be able to use the GLUT from the XCode tools that come with the OS. About an hour ago, i finally got mine to compile (thanks to ace123). To get configure to see it, I have to use:

Code: Select all

./configure --with-gl-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-gl-inc=/usr/X11R6/include/GL
My final configure that got it work looked like

./configure --with-gl-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-gl-inc=/usr/X11R6/include/GL --with-python-libs=/sw/lib/python2.3/config --with-expat-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-expat-inc=/usr/X11R6/include --with-png-libs=/sw/lib --with-png-inc=/sw/include/libpng12 --with-jpeg-libs=/sw/lib --with-jpeg-inc=/sw/include --with-vorbis-libs=/sw/lib --with-vorbis-inc=/sw/include --with-python-inc=/sw/include/python2.4
That was with all the dependancies installed by fink. I dont know how different leapard is as a development environment though. :?:
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

10.5 is almost exactly the same as 10.4 however surprising it seems.

Same version of GCC and most libraries are the same.
lowededwookie
Trader
Trader

Post by lowededwookie »

Okay, so I think I have all the dependancies installed. I tried using the config commands that bgaskey suggested and it seems to run the config alright but then fails on the make.

Is there a link to the aforementioned libraries that HellCatV compiled because I really am getting nowhere fast.

I've included the config.log file so maybe there's something in that that is not working right for me.

Thanks heaps for your help guys. I think once the nut had been cracked it'll be a "penny drop" moment I'm sure. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

how exactly does the make fail? I think i can help fix it if it's one of the failures ive had (which is alot)
lowededwookie
Trader
Trader

Post by lowededwookie »

Hey Bgaskey,

Sorry for the late reply, timezones and lack of access to my machine made difficult that.

Anyway, here's the results I get:

depbase=`echo src/cmd/ai/docking.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I./boost/1_33 -Wno-long-double -I/sw/include -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1 -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.0.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include/libpng12 -I/sw/include -DJPEG_SUPPORT -DHAVE_AL=1 -I/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -I/sw/include -I/sw/include/python2.4 -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I/sw/include/python2.4 -I./src -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I/sw/include/python2.4 -pipe -I/sw/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT -MT src/cmd/ai/docking.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o src/cmd/ai/docking.o src/cmd/ai/docking.cpp &&\
mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
./src/cmd/collide_map.h: In member function ‘void Collidable::SetPosition(const QVector&)’:
./src/cmd/collide_map.h:34: error: ‘finite’ was not declared in this scope
./src/cmd/collide_map.h: In constructor ‘Collidable::Collidable(unsigned int, float, const QVector&)’:
./src/cmd/collide_map.h:65: error: ‘finite’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [src/cmd/ai/docking.o] Error 1
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

the command looks fine to me. have you tried re svn update ing in case it is file corruption or a missing file?

If that's not the case, I can't be much help, as I don't know enough C of C++ to understand the game code any :?

Also, it always has a -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.0.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes, which does not exists (there is a 10.3.9 sdk though) i wonder if this could be a bug in the config script or if it is correct and I am just really confused.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

One thing to try is to go to src/cmd/collide_map.h and adding a "#include <math.h>" at the top (first line) of collide_map.h

Other things to try are to change finite to FINITE, but I doubt that will fix it.
lowededwookie
Trader
Trader

Post by lowededwookie »

I think I'm getting closer.

I edited the config.ac file and replaced everything that mentioned 10.3.0 or 10.2.8 with 10.3.9 and it's taking longer to fail.

It's failing the make with this:

depbase=`echo src/cmd/ai/docking.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I./boost/1_33 -Wno-long-double -I/sw/include -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1 -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include/libpng12 -I/sw/include -DJPEG_SUPPORT -DHAVE_AL=1 -I/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -I/sw/include -I/sw/include/python2.4 -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I/sw/include/python2.4 -I./src -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I/sw/include/python2.4 -pipe -I/sw/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT -MT src/cmd/ai/docking.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o src/cmd/ai/docking.o src/cmd/ai/docking.cpp &&\
mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
./src/cmd/collide_map.h: In member function ‘void Collidable::SetPosition(const QVector&)’:
./src/cmd/collide_map.h:35: error: ‘finite’ was not declared in this scope
./src/cmd/collide_map.h: In constructor ‘Collidable::Collidable(unsigned int, float, const QVector&)’:
./src/cmd/collide_map.h:66: error: ‘finite’ was not declared in this scope
Is this the same as what was happening to Bgaskey here:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10035

I just edited this with bold to highlight what I'm talking about.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

no definitely a different problem. mine was failing because it couldnt find the correct files whereas yours is failing trying to compile a specific file. I would try following ace123's advice (he's the one who get mine tot work).
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

ace123 wrote:One thing to try is to go to src/cmd/collide_map.h and adding a "#include <math.h>" at the top (first line) of collide_map.h

Other things to try are to change finite to FINITE, but I doubt that will fix it.
Did you try this suggestion yet?

The error you posted is still the same one... but editing the cpp file in this way might get you farther.

The odd thing is I also have 10.5.1 Leopard and do not have this issue.
lowededwookie
Trader
Trader

Post by lowededwookie »

Hi, sorry for my lack of replying, got tied up playing Resident Evil 4 on the Wii.

I have done the fixes Ace only I think I may have done it slightly wrong because I didn't have the math.h include as the first line but about the 5th with the other includes. Have corrected this as well as changing the finite to FINITE as well.

I hope I'm editing the right files. FINITE was changed in the configure.ac file and math.h was entered into:

src/cmd/collide_map.h

What I'm a bit confused with though is that you say:
The error you posted is still the same one... but editing the cpp file in this way might get you farther.
do you mean make the same changes in collide_map.cpp or is it only collide_map.h?

Really do appreciate your helping me out. I love VegaStrike and want to get this running so much. :)
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Yeah the reason I didn't pay attention to those details is that it should not make any difference. The math.h can be either place. When I said CPP I meant the C++ code, which was in a header in this case.

I trust you made the right changes (changed the FINITE)

Anyway what I am interested in is if that solves all of the errors. Can you run "make vegastrike" again and post any error/warning messages that appear?

Or are you saying that despite using upper case FINITE, you still get these exact error messages:

./src/cmd/collide_map.h:35: error: ‘finite’ was not declared in this scope
./src/cmd/collide_map.h:66: error: ‘finite’ was not declared in this scope
lowededwookie
Trader
Trader

Post by lowededwookie »

Unfortunately despite all the changes it's the same error.

I've noticed other weird things like despite having GTK installed both via Fink and MacPorts the configure script still says that it isn't installed.

Whereabouts can I get hold of the precompiled dependancies because I'd like to see if this fixes anything.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

What command are you using to configure. You may want to try pointing it to GTK just to get that cleared up, although i dont think that is whats causing make to fail.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Can you paste the *exact* error message you are now getting?

You said you changed finite to FINITE... does the error still have lowercase "finite" because that would be weird (or indicate it is #define'd somewhere)?

If you did add a "#include <math.h>" anywhere in the first few lines of the file, that ought to either fix lowercase finite or uppercase finite.

The strangest thing about this is that hellcatv has osx 10.4, and I have 10.5, and to my knowledge, neither of us have seen this error with a standard "./configure" with extra options and "make vegastrike".

To my knowledge each version of OSX is pretty standard.
lowededwookie
Trader
Trader

Post by lowededwookie »

ace123 wrote:You said you changed finite to FINITE... does the error still have lowercase "finite" because that would be weird (or indicate it is #define'd somewhere)?
That's exactly what's happening. The error keeps showing up lowercase "finite" despite having changed everything to uppercase.

I built using the same options as what Bgaskey had posted:

./configure --with-gl-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-gl-inc=/usr/X11R6/include/GL --with-python-libs=/sw/lib/python2.3/config --with-expat-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-expat-inc=/usr/X11R6/include --with-png-libs=/sw/lib --with-png-inc=/sw/include/libpng12 --with-jpeg-libs=/sw/lib --with-jpeg-inc=/sw/include --with-vorbis-libs=/sw/lib --with-vorbis-inc=/sw/include --with-python-inc=/sw/include/python2.4
I was hoping if it worked for him it might work for me. Turns out no. ;)

One thing I've noticed and I'm beginning to wonder if this is the real problem. When I run make the very very last line it throws before sending me back to prompt is this:
I checked for this file and it turns out it doesn't exist. I don't remember getting any errors when I downloaded from SVN so what gives? Does this file need to exist or is it created? I have a docking.cpp and docking.h file but not a docking.o file.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The o suffix means that is an object file generated by that make and not linked yet so it will not be in the repository :wink: so that means that there is an error in docking.cpp.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pheldens
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pheldens »

cd src/cmd/ai
make

study the output
lowededwookie
Trader
Trader

Post by lowededwookie »

Is there a log file for Make that I can upload or should I just copy and paste it into a text file?

Thanks once again for your time all.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

you can add a > ~/Desktop/output.txt 2>&1 to the end of any command... the 2>&1 means also save the error output.

For example:
make > ~/Desktop/make.txt 2>&1

keep in mind that the ">" will replace the contents of that file if it already exists, use ">>" to append to a file.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Just the terminal output so cut and paste to a text file and post that 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
Edit:You type faster than i do ace :lol:
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2