Has anyone compiled under Leopard

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

Making Progress...

Post by Sinthramyr »

ace123 wrote:I missed one of the lines in Makefile.am that was referencing libcollide2.a.
Try updating to 11808. I hopefully have now fixed the problem.
Updated to 11809 and ran make vegastrike. We finally got past libcollide2.a but it seems we've run into another error:

Code: Select all

rm -f libboost_python.a
ar cru libboost_python.a boost/1_33/src/list.o boost/1_33/src/module.o boost/1_33/src/aix_init_module.o boost/1_33/src/object_protocol.o boost/1_33/src/dict.o boost/1_33/src/numeric.o boost/1_33/src/errors.o boost/1_33/src/str.o boost/1_33/src/object_operators.o boost/1_33/src/long.o boost/1_33/src/object/pickle_support.o boost/1_33/src/object/life_support.o boost/1_33/src/object/inheritance.o boost/1_33/src/object/class.o boost/1_33/src/object/enum.o boost/1_33/src/object/function.o boost/1_33/src/object/iterator.o boost/1_33/src/converter/from_python.o boost/1_33/src/converter/registry.o boost/1_33/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.o boost/1_33/src/converter/builtin_converters.o boost/1_33/src/converter/type_id.o boost/1_33/src/tuple.o 
ranlib: file: libboost_python.a(aix_init_module.o) has no symbols
ranlib libboost_python.a
Attached is the make vegastrike output. Also make vssetup is still giving me errors even with libvorbis installed. Attached is the output for that, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Looks to me like it compiled.

What you pasted was just a warning saying there's a blank cpp file somewhere, which is perfectly fine.

If it doesn't display "Error" and stop the build then it's not an error.
That incredibly long line means that it's linking up the final excutable.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

But vssetup did not ace

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

Umm

Post by Sinthramyr »

ace123 wrote:Looks to me like it compiled.

What you pasted was just a warning saying there's a blank cpp file somewhere, which is perfectly fine.

If it doesn't display "Error" and stop the build then it's not an error.
That incredibly long line means that it's linking up the final excutable.
Umm then where's the executible? I could not find it anywhere at all.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I see this for vssetup:

ld: cycle in dylib re-exports with /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [vssetup] Error 1
Did you get that same error for "make vegastrike"? It would be odd if it didn't show up for vegastrike too.

I think this is the libGL thing I was getting too.

Can you try doing:

export LDFLAGS=-Wl,-dylib_file,/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
and then rerun ./configure with your arguments

This should tell it where to find the GL library.
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

Back to the beginning...

Post by Sinthramyr »

ace123 wrote:I see this for vssetup:

Did you get that same error for "make vegastrike"? It would be odd if it didn't show up for vegastrike too.
Nope did not get that error in make vegastrike, just the same thing even after doing that export command you suggested. A really long string at the end with no binary in sight. :-(
I think this is the libGL thing I was getting too.

Can you try doing:

export LDFLAGS=-Wl,-dylib_file,/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
and then rerun ./configure with your arguments

This should tell it where to find the GL library.
I found that file in that directory so we should be good there. I checked via fink and I have glib and glib2 installed along with the -dev and dependents.

Tried make vssetup and got the same thing:

I decided to start all over from bootstrap-sh and noticed this output:

Running aclocal
/sw/share/aclocal/glib.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GLIB
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
I'm seeing glib in there and maybe this could be the culprit? It's not libGl though. I checked out that page but could not understand it at all and am not sure what next to do...
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

found stuff in make vegastrike

Post by Sinthramyr »

In file included from src/gfx/jpeg_memory.cpp:1:
src/gfx/jpeg_memory.h:2:1: warning: "JPEG_SUPPORT" redefined
<command line>:1:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from src/gfx/jpeg_memory.h:32,
                 from src/gfx/jpeg_memory.cpp:1:
/sw/include/jconfig.h:11:1: warning: "HAVE_STDDEF_H" redefined
In file included from ./src/networking/const.h:24,
                 from ./src/vsfilesystem.h:12,
                 from src/gfx/jpeg_memory.h:24,
./config.h:187:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from src/gfx/jpeg_memory.h:32,
/sw/include/jconfig.h:12:1: warning: "HAVE_STDLIB_H" redefined
                 from src/gfx/jpeg_memory.h:24,
./config.h:193:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
and...

In file included from src/gfx/vsimage.cpp:36:
./src/gfx/jpeg_memory.h:2:1: warning: "JPEG_SUPPORT" redefined
<command line>:1:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from ./src/gfx/jpeg_memory.h:32,
                 from src/gfx/vsimage.cpp:36:
/sw/include/jconfig.h:11:1: warning: "HAVE_STDDEF_H" redefined
                 from ./src/easydom.h:35,
                 from ./src/cmd/script/mission.h:36,
                 from ./src/cmd/script/flightgroup.h:5,
                 from ./src/cmd/unit_generic.h:49,
                 from src/gfx/vsimage.cpp:8:
./config.h:187:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from ./src/gfx/jpeg_memory.h:32,
                 from src/gfx/vsimage.cpp:36:
/sw/include/jconfig.h:12:1: warning: "HAVE_STDLIB_H" redefined
                 from ./src/easydom.h:35,
                 from ./src/cmd/script/mission.h:36,
                 from ./src/cmd/script/flightgroup.h:5,
                 from ./src/cmd/unit_generic.h:49,
                 from src/gfx/vsimage.cpp:8:
./config.h:193:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
and

In file included from src/gfx/vec.h:3,
                 from src/gfxlib.h:45,
                 from src/main.cpp:33:
./config.h:5:1: warning: "BSD" redefined
In file included from src/main.cpp:27:
/usr/include/sys/param.h:72:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
and this one again

rm -f libnetlowlevel.a
ar cru libnetlowlevel.a src/networking/lowlevel/netbuffer.o src/networking/lowlevel/netui.o src/networking/lowlevel/packet.o src/networking/lowlevel/packetmem.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_address.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_clientstate.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_cmd.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_debug.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadenum.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_notify.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_oss.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_parsecmd.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_pipe.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_serversocket.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_socket.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_socketbase.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_socketflags.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_sockethttp.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_socketset.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_sockettcp.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_socketudp.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_thread_non.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_thread_p.o src/networking/lowlevel/vsnet_thread_sdl.o 
ranlib: file: libnetlowlevel.a(vsnet_thread_p.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: libnetlowlevel.a(vsnet_thread_sdl.o) has no symbols
ranlib libnetlowlevel.a
ranlib: file: libnetlowlevel.a(vsnet_thread_p.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: libnetlowlevel.a(vsnet_thread_sdl.o) has no symbols
but it moved past this until this

rm -f libboost_python.a
ar cru libboost_python.a boost/1_33/src/list.o boost/1_33/src/module.o boost/1_33/src/aix_init_module.o boost/1_33/src/object_protocol.o boost/1_33/src/dict.o boost/1_33/src/numeric.o boost/1_33/src/errors.o boost/1_33/src/str.o boost/1_33/src/object_operators.o boost/1_33/src/long.o boost/1_33/src/object/pickle_support.o boost/1_33/src/object/life_support.o boost/1_33/src/object/inheritance.o boost/1_33/src/object/class.o boost/1_33/src/object/enum.o boost/1_33/src/object/function.o boost/1_33/src/object/iterator.o boost/1_33/src/converter/from_python.o boost/1_33/src/converter/registry.o boost/1_33/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.o boost/1_33/src/converter/builtin_converters.o boost/1_33/src/converter/type_id.o boost/1_33/src/tuple.o 
ranlib libboost_python.a
And right after that came the really long g++ command. It just stops and the only thing it seems to make is a 15 megabyte "vegastrike" file that my Mac's Get Info shows as an "Unix Executible File"?
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

OK I think I got it...

Post by Sinthramyr »

I may be slow but I went ahead and looked inside the 0.4 vegastrike mac package contents that I downloaded and saw a similar unix binary there in the MacOS folder. A light clicked on in my head and I copied over the one I made into there and then for good measure I copied the entrie contents of my data4.x folder into the Resources folder. Ran the game and it seems to work great if just a tad bit slowly. I am seeing the new cockpit with all the indicators, etc and the graphics are beautiful although the background seems rather pixelated (saw this on PC too tho). The entire bundle alone is 1.67 gig so that may have something to do with the slowness, though.

More issues I run into is that the game crashed when I neared mining base serentity which itself was flickering and rotating slightly...? I get a white screen and the disc spinning pointer.

Here are some screenshots in .tiff format. Many many thanks to everyone who helped get me this far and hopefully y'all will still help with make vssetup and resolve the warnings in make vegastrike?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

by the way

Post by Sinthramyr »

here is the crash report from when I force quit vegastrike after it crashed with the white screen. Might be helpful?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Unfortunately it says nothing of any use that i can see.

Can you open the Console in Applications/Utilities?
If possible, try to copy and paste the lines for vegastrike (It is cumulative so just get one copy)

Also, if you can open up a Setup program (such as the one distributed with 0.4), can you turn off shaders?
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

turning off shaders may not be the best bet. on my mac, it only works with shaders on "low". The 15 MB vegastrike executable was what it was supposed to create. just run it in a Terminal by cd'ing to the directory and typing ./vegastrike, or double click it and open with Terminal :)

I think there is an issue with performance on Macs, because mine should run faster than 10 fps. What is your box, proc, and graphics card. If its an ATI like mani, it could be that the mac ATI drivers don't like our compile for some reason.
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sinthramyr »

ace123 wrote:Unfortunately it says nothing of any use that i can see.

If possible, try to copy and paste the lines for vegastrike (It is cumulative so just get one copy)
I have not been able to reproduce this except for some kind of speed glitch where the actual speed keeps flickering between 0-40 and my Llama keeps moving because of it. I think it may be related to my vssetup issues as detailed below...
Also, if you can open up a Setup program (such as the one distributed with 0.4), can you turn off shaders?
I can open up the 0.4 vssetup app but it doesn't work quite right. In the first place I get a system error message saying vssetup_gtk quit unexpectedly BUT the app shows up in my Terminal in ANSI format. I change the options and it saves the changes to vegastrike.cofig inside my .vegastrike043 user folder. However, the new compiled vegastrike 0.5 creates a .vegastrike folder (with no version number) and apparently uses THAT as options for the game. I tried copying over the latest vegastrike.config file from my SVN folder and directly editing the options via BBedit. NOTHING worked, not glide_mouse, not screen resolution, etc. One thing did work for some reason and that was reverse thrust setting. So I tried one more thing, I copied over the vegastrike.config file from .vegastrike043 folder, which seems to have different settings in regard to shaders, etc. Bam, I got a bigger screen resolution 1600x1200 and mouse gliding in windowed mode, but the graphics during load were really screwy and I get a white screen minutes into the game especially while switching among my spaces.

So the new vegastrike.config file from SVN is not completely working with the latest compile (highshader, glide_mouse, screen resolution the ones I've run across so far). Is this a bug or something wrong with my compile? Am I correct in assuming that I don't need vssetup if I can manually edit the vegastrike.config file myself?
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sinthramyr »

ace123 wrote:Unfortunately it says nothing of any use that i can see.

I have not been able to reproduce this except for some kind of speed glitch where the actual speed keeps flickering between 0-40 and my Llama keeps moving because of it. I think it may be related to my vssetup issues as detailed below...
I can open up the 0.4 vssetup app but it doesn't work quite right. In the first place I get a system error message saying vssetup_gtk quit unexpectedly BUT the app shows up in my Terminal in ANSI format. I change the options and it saves the changes to vegastrike.cofig inside my .vegastrike043 user folder. However, the new compiled vegastrike 0.5 creates a .vegastrike folder (with no version number) and apparently uses THAT as options for the game. I tried copying over the latest vegastrike.config file from my SVN folder and directly editing the options via BBedit. NOTHING worked, not glide_mouse, not screen resolution, etc. One thing did work for some reason and that was reverse thrust setting. So I tried one more thing, I copied over the vegastrike.config file from .vegastrike043 folder, which seems to have different settings in regard to shaders, etc. Bam, I got a bigger screen resolution 1600x1200 and mouse gliding in windowed mode, but the graphics during load were really screwy and I get a white screen minutes into the game especially while switching among my spaces.

So the new vegastrike.config file from SVN is not completely working with the latest compile (highshader, glide_mouse, screen resolution the ones I've run across so far). Is this a bug or something wrong with my compile? Am I correct in assuming that I don't need vssetup if I can manually edit the vegastrike.config file myself?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

there are a whole lot of new things in the config file that are not in 0.4.3 and there not being there means that that new build of yours gets lost :wink: looking for them does BBedit have syntax highlighting remember the file is XML and i suspect that your edit was not valid XML in some way.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

My box

Post by Sinthramyr »

bgaskey wrote:turning off shaders may not be the best bet. on my mac, it only works with shaders on "low". The 15 MB vegastrike executable was what it was supposed to create. just run it in a Terminal by cd'ing to the directory and typing ./vegastrike, or double click it and open with Terminal :)

I think there is an issue with performance on Macs, because mine should run faster than 10 fps. What is your box, proc, and graphics card. If its an ATI like mani, it could be that the mac ATI drivers don't like our compile for some reason.
I'm not seeing any performance issues and my fps is 23+. I have a MacBook Pro with 4 gig ram and Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256 mb video card. I think it has more to do with my vssetup issues than anything else.. Oh and yeah I figured out the executible thing, but I didn't realize that one could run it from the SVN folders without having to move it to the app package...
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 180 GB HDD, 256 MB Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, OS X 10.5.x Leopard
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

I think it's a bug...

Post by Sinthramyr »

loki1950 wrote:there are a whole lot of new things in the config file that are not in 0.4.3 and there not being there means that that new build of yours gets lost :wink: looking for them does BBedit have syntax highlighting remember the file is XML and i suspect that your edit was not valid XML in some way.

It doesn't matter what I do, using BBEdit, Textedit, pico or vi the new compile is not picking up on the config changes at all. They don't even pick up on the changes made to the config file inside the app bundle. But it does pick up if I make a change to the reverse thrust setting from 0.1 to 1 which is my preference. My ship will fly backwards at -300 but the main game settings such as screen resolution, glide_mouse, etc are not working.

Maybe if I solved my make vssetup issues I'd get something that can set the proper config but in the meanwhile any suggestions?
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 180 GB HDD, 256 MB Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, OS X 10.5.x Leopard
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

23 fps is not very good performance. i get 60+ on linux running on a P4 1.8 GHz 512 RAM and GeForce 6200 LE which is much weaker than your MacBook Pro in every category. You should be getting 100+ fps.
dunno why your vssetup isn't working. I have a PPC binary of vssetup i have built if you want me to email it to you. (it should run under rosetta)
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

also, there should be a vssetup that works in the intel beta version. i don't anything major has changed since that was packaged.
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sinthramyr »

bgaskey wrote:also, there should be a vssetup that works in the intel beta version. i don't anything major has changed since that was packaged.
I have been using the one downloaded from your site I believe and it works well enough for my purposes. I am still getting performance issues with my binary anywhere between 20-30 fps at rev 11855 so far. Unable to connect with multiplayer, too.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

there may not be a server running right now for multiplayer. I think ace123 runs one sometimes. I'm also still haveving a performance problems, but i thought i read somebody post that they were having better luck w/ the new opcode collider :?
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sinthramyr »

bgaskey wrote:there may not be a server running right now for multiplayer. I think ace123 runs one sometimes. I'm also still haveving a performance problems, but i thought i read somebody post that they were having better luck w/ the new opcode collider :?
That was me... :-)
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

mine didn't seem to improve much. did u make clean and make distclean first? My fps is still single digit alot of the time :? :cry: :( :o :? :!: :?: :( :?
Sinthramyr
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sinthramyr »

bgaskey wrote:mine didn't seem to improve much. did u make clean and make distclean first? My fps is still single digit alot of the time :? :cry: :( :o :? :!: :?: :( :?
Performance is a bit iffy for me too. I keep getting anywhere between 15-30 fps consistently now with short spikes at 40 or 50 at times. Oddly enough it drops to 13-15 whenever I enter an Rlann system go near one of their polygon factories...