Windows 10 Compile Failure with Alpha 8.0

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
mirc
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Re: Windows 10 Compile Failure with Alpha 8.0

Post by mirc »

Hello Captain_Kal,

congrats for your successful compile efforts. I have been drawn back to the Vega Strike project through the last two release announcements and am a bit eager to get it compiled under Windows 10. I have unsuccessfully tried using VS2019 and will now try VS2022 following your experiences.

However, in anticipation of a failure, I would be very much interested in your successfully built files. Thanks in advance.

Cheers Mirco
I recovered my old account, please contact me using "riftroamer" as my username. 8)
riftroamer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by riftroamer »

Hello Captain_Kal,

congrats for your successful compile efforts. I have been drawn back to the Vega Strike project through the last two release announcements and am a bit eager to get it compiled under Windows 10. I have unsuccessfully tried using VS2019 and will now try VS2022 following your experiences.

However, in anticipation of a failure, I would be very much interested in your successfully built files. Thanks in advance.

[Edit: I was able to compile under Windows 10 using MS Visual Studio 2022 Community Edition with the Workloads and Components mentioned on the GitHub readme page.
It's 2:15 AM CET so testing will start after a nap. I'll post my ongoing progress. Thanks!]

Cheers Mirco

PS: I just recovered my old account. I didn't realize I originally signed up with a @googlemail.com address instead of @gmail.com with the account above. My apologies for the confusion. The account "mirc" above won't be necessary to keep anymore, I think.
Last edited by riftroamer on Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And on the eighth day the Lord went riftroaming...

IMTU tc+ tm+ tn+ tg ru- ge+ 3i c+ jt au+ pi+ he+
OTU 42% au+ br- cpu- fs- ge+ j- ti+ tv+ uwp+
Tarlon Rhaan 0201 C88885A-9 S hi as+ va- so- zh vi+ da 723
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome back riftroamer if you need help editing the config file for use on your system since the settings app is still not build-able due to GTK3 being flagged as a virus just post in the general help forum and I can create a custom one for you with my local Linux build. As for your mirc account I will keep it active for a few days then delete it BTW thanks for the notification on that always nice to trim the database back ever once an a while.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
riftroamer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by riftroamer »

Hi and thanks for having me,

I used the config from my Ubuntu Box, so I'm good regarding the config, thank you.

The Windows binaries work on three different Systems (very good Performance on the two "daily drivers", but also on an old Laptop with noticeable GUI lag, but even there it works). Very nice.

I will perform a few more tests and post my observations here, as it might be interesting for others.

Modding seems to work too. But I can't figure out, how to get the modtools sorted out for Windows.

I'm thinking about continuing the Mod I started about a decade ago. And I'm prepared to write and contribute an up-to-date guide (or maybe even a YouTube tutorial), provided I manage to achive a workflow routine for the task and that it would be beneficial for the community.

Is there an up-to-date "best practise" to convert models from Blender (3.x) into VS Format? I might have missed something though.

Thanks and cheers
Mirco
Last edited by riftroamer on Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Mesher our command line utility for converting .obj format meshes into our internal binary format has been renamed to mesh_tool and unitconverter pyramid3D's Python data entry utility for editing the csv data files has been updated to Python 3 it's in the tools repo on GitHub you Python installed to use them under Windows.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
riftroamer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by riftroamer »

Ah good to know. Sorry for editing my previous post in the meantime. I found a few typos and wanted to clarify a few lines.

I'll look into that later tonight.
Thanks a lot.

Cheers

riftroamer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by riftroamer »

Hi loki1950, where is the mesh_tool normally located? It doesn't seem to be available for Windows, if I'm not mistaken, am I?

Cheers

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The build instructions for it may have been commented out I know that it is built by default under Linux but it should be in the folder that the exe for the engine is placed after building.

riftroamer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by riftroamer »

Thanks for the info. Sadly I'm not a programmer or really familiar dabbling with the source code. My main motivation to start compiling under Windows was actually to have the most recent tools for getting ship models into VS. After my successful build under Windows I only found "vegastrike-engine.exe" and "Vega_Strike_tests.exe" and that's it.

Could you maybe point me to the file I need to look into, to find the supposedly uncommented (out-commented?) line? I would like to try building the mesh_tool at least once. Thank you.

Cheers

[EDIT]: Oh my. Never mind. I found it. Thanks for the pointers ;-), it (vega-meshtool.exe) was under its own Release folder inside /objconv, still patiently waiting for me to discover it.

riftroamer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by riftroamer »

Unitconverter gives me headaches. That's probably because it was originally a PU tool? I configured it to use vega-meshtool.exe instead of mesher.exe.
At first it works, generating an MTL file, compressing and copying textures, creating an entry into units.csv.

That is until you start the modelviewer. Either it can't find the game when configured for /Vega-Strike-Path/bin, or it can't find the assets. Only if the bin folder is inside the assets folder it seems to work fine at first, but then it can't find the mission file.

Unitconverter3 doesn't start at all using the original batchfile (which is identical to the earlier unitconverter). After changing the referenced

Code: Select all

@echo off
REM ----------------------------------------------------
REM Windows command script for running UnitConverter
C:\Programs\python27\python.exe unitconverter.py
to an installed Python39 (My Python-Installations are at C:\Python27\ and C:\Python39\).

Code: Select all

@echo off
REM Windows command script for running UnitConverter
C:\Python39\python.exe unitconverter.py
it starts, with the gui in the background it complains about not being configured and crashes after clicking ok.

I give up and wait for the official Windows build when the time comes. Thanks a lot for all the help and patience.

CU and cheers

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Small problem Python is not a compiled language it's an interpretative one so the is no such thing as a build just a file with the keywords converted to tokens that the virtual machine runs (BTW the same one that is used for C# and Perl) can you file an issue on Github about it with the console output so pyramid3D can fix it to run on Windows till I can get my new laptop setup as a development environment I can not really get to grips with it.There is an other missing piece as well nvtt nVidia Texture tools no longer builds under Linux it is necessary because we compressed all the textures in the assets download to cut down the memory footprint in both in the repo and the download I get around that by using the latest version of the Gimp as it can open dds files.

riftroamer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by riftroamer »

Yeah I know about Python being an interpreted language. I thought more along the lines of not knowing what I'm doing regarding building VS on Windows and then putting everything into the right folder structure. Thus causing the troubles myself.

I'm more the Blender guy, mainly a modeler, who wants to get his stuff into the engine. I'm not good at fixing the pipeline to do so.

Waiting for a proper windows release might take a year or more, but I would focus on other things, that's okay.

BTW: I don't see any console output when starting unitconverter using the supplied batch file. And python is not configured in my path (I use python launcher when needed). Although pythonpath gets configured for the VS build process, I delete it to be able to dabble with the older stuff (VS 0.5.1).

Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Sorry it took me so long to reply!! Covid-19 finally got me (after nearly three years!! I put up a good fight!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Anyway, here's a link to my executables

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bidw6nrx51f98 ... e.rar?dl=0

In order to keel the size of the download small, you will have to download the zip file of "Vega Strike: Upon the Coldest Sea (vsUTCS) v0.8.0".

Extract it in the same folder you extracted the .rar file and rename it to Assets.

There is a .bat file (StartMeUp.bat), you can use to start the game for the first time. The .bat file assumes that, the game is installed in G:Vega_Strike!
You can easily edit it with a text editor (notepad), and change it to a folder of your choice.

Download the following config.file and copy it in "C:\Users\.....\AppData\Local\.vegastrike"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtc20d64z34xp ... onfig?dl=0

(1920x1080, max details, 3d Joystick)!!
riftroamer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by riftroamer »

Hi,

good to read, that you recovered.

It's comparable for my family. We dodged the virus since it emerged and got through the pandemic almost unaffected. But recently my wife and now my oldest son got it. Both recovered well (well my son still is, but it looks like he's through soon).

Thanks a lot for the links I'll look into it tonight after work.

Cheers

Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

I gave it a try, and Wing Commander Universe Mod is also playable!!

https://github.com/ermo/privateer_wcu
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Happy New Year to all of you and your families!!!!
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Post by the_mtn_who_glides »

Captain_Kal wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:05 pm Happy New Year to all of you and your families!!!!
Thanks! Happy New Year to you too!
Affableaardvark
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Affableaardvark »

Thank you Captain_Kal » Sun May 01, 2022 10:08 pm
Your instructions worked for me on Win 11.
I had to use the tar assets as the zip was corrupt.
Best wishes
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

I was messing around with HoloISO (https://github.com/theVakhovskeIsTaken/holoiso) and since I could not compile the game, I just used the Proton combability layer and the game run fine. On desktop mode only, since I could not get it to run in game mode. And with default settings.

Any thoughts on where to copy my config file??
x_marx
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by x_marx »

Hello Folks!
I tried compiling but it finished with an error message. So, can you guys comment on that?
vegastrike.txt
Edit:

I'm on Windows 11 btw.

Edit 2:
The version is the latest one and my Windows is updated. Also updated the VS22 before compiling.
Python is 3.10.7 (had a lot of issues getting the Anaconda to work with other versions).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Edit 2:
The version is the latest one and my Windows is updated. Also updated the VS22 before compiling.
Python is 3.10.7 (had a lot of issues getting the Anaconda to work with other versions).
I 've compiled and run successfully the0.8 version https://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopi ... 14#p170314. If you are interested give it a try!!!
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

After a long time spending on doing nothing constructive :lol: :lol: :lol: , I tried to compile the latest beta (v0.8.1-beta2). I got this error message:
. : The term 'refreshenv' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name,
or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos\script\bootstrap.ps1:41 char:3
+ . refreshenv
+ ~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (refreshenv:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
I used the same setup, that I successfully compiled version 0.8, for windows!! I think that the latest updates for VS2022, changed something, because I was not able to also compile version 0.8 again.

Any thoughts?
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

I also keep getting these errors, when I run "build.ps1":
C:\Users\...............\repos\engine\src\gfx\../SharedPool.h(217,33): error C2039: 'hash_compare': is not a member of 'std' [C:\Users\...............\repos\build\vegastrike-engine_com.vcxproj]
G:\Microsoft_Visual_Studio_Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.37.32822\include\fstream(21,1): message : see declaration of 'std' [C:\Users\...............\repos\build\vegastrike-engine_com.vcxproj]
C:\Users\...............\repos\engine\src\gfx\../SharedPool.h(217,33): error C2504: 'hash_compare': base class undefined [C:\Users\...............\repos\build\vegastrike-engine_com.vcxproj]
C:\Users\...............\repos\engine\src\gfx\../SharedPool.h(217,43): error C2143: syntax error: missing ',' before '<' [C:\Users\...............\\repos\build\vegastrike-engine_com.vcxproj]
And it only builds 9 files!!!

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

I finally did it!!

I present you with Vegastrike 0.8.1-beta2 Windows executable.

You can download it from
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q7pqjq5h ... vburg&dl=0

A few thoughts.

The latest Visual Studio 22 Community edition updates, broke something, and generated errors.
I switched to Visual Studio 19, on a VMWare Win10 installation, and I finally was able to compile it.
It still generated the 'refreshenv' error, when I run bootstrap.ps1, but it didn't mattered eventually.

Thing to do:

1) Compile in Endeavor OS.
There is a Vegastrike version in AUR, but I do not know if it's the latest version. If successful I will try also to compile it in Raspberry Pi4 (I think there is an ARM Endeavor flavor. Otherwise I think that Raspberry OS is Debian based. Anyway I will try and see what comes out of it)!!

2) Create a Visual Studio 22 Community Edition Solution (.sln). For the last year or so I 've started leaning to code in C++ (With the help of Alex Allain's "Jumping Into C++"). From what I have learned so far, I will have to also spend time, learning an IDE!! So I created a command line project Visual Studio 22 Community Edition, in order to try and convert the Vegastrike source, starting from main.cpp!!!! I do not know if I ever finish it though!!!

3) Is there any brave soul out there, to port the game to Xbox Series S Dev Mode? Or to AmigaOS 3.2 for that matter? :D :D :D :D :D
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Is there going to be an official 0.9 version for windows, or we 'll have to compile one?