Windows 10 Compile Failure with Alpha 8.0

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Windows 10 Compile Failure with Alpha 8.0

Post by the_mtn_who_glides »

Captain_Kal wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:53 pm And for the bravest of the brave, :D :D :D , I tried to build 8.0 alpha 1, and copied the error messages, in a txt file, that I attached!!
Wow. Okay. It looks like the version of Boost that the linker is trying to use, was built for Windows 7, not for Windows 10.

Do you have multiple instances of Boost on your system, by any chance? Or perhaps an out-of-date version? (You could search your system for files and folders named

Code: Select all

boost*.*
.)

Next time you try building the code, can you perhaps delete the folder

C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos\build
first? That should help clean up any leftover build artifacts that might be messing us up.

Thanks!
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

By the way, v0.8.0-beta1 is now available. :-)
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Wow. Okay. It looks like the version of Boost that the linker is trying to use, was built for Windows 7, not for Windows 10.
I used the following link to compile the 1.77 Windows version of Boost:

https://levelup.gitconnected.com/the-de ... 9464d7282d

I could replicate the procedure and have both x64 and x32 versions of the library. (For vegastrike, I used the 32bit version, I think).
Next time you try building the code, can you perhaps delete the folder
CODE: SELECT ALL

C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos\build
first? That should help clean up any leftover build artifacts that might be messing us up.
I delete everything on both "C:\Users\Cmdr_Kal\source\repos" and "C:\Projects", and start over again!!
By the way, v0.8.0-beta1 is now available. :-)
Any flatpak version, for arch based systems? Believe it or not, yay doesn't seems to work!!!
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

I think it's best if you let Vega Strike's build system take care of compiling Boost. That way, it will be configured the way Vega Strike expects.

No, we do not currently have a flatpak version available. Sorry. :-/

I think the main issue on Arch-based systems might be missing dependencies. I have Vega Strike compiling and running from source on my Manjaro system, but unfortunately, I have not yet compiled a list of the packages that need to be installed with pamac to get it to work.
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

I uninstalled everything, and reinstalled VS 2022!!

Then I tried the new 0.8 beta 1.

Same errors with the boost library!!
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Please use Visual Studio 2019. Visual Studio 2022 is an unknown quantity at this point; it's not guaranteed to work.

Everything is supposed to be built for 64-bit Windows (x64, or x86_64), and in Release configuration. Boost in particular should be built with BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK defined. script/build.ps1 should take care of all of that for you. Or, alternatively, copy and paste the commands from script/build.ps1 into Developer PowerShell for VS 2019, one at a time.

You are following the instructions in the README, right? https://github.com/vegastrike/Vega-Stri ... on-windows
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

By the way, compilation instructions for Manjaro are now available here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51649
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Please use Visual Studio 2019. Visual Studio 2022 is an unknown quantity at this point; it's not guaranteed to work.
It was not intended!!! :D :D I re-downloaded the installer, but it defaulted to 2022!!! Anyway its behavior was similar to 2019, it generated the same errors!!!
Everything is supposed to be built for 64-bit Windows (x64, or x86_64), and in Release configuration. Boost in particular should be built with BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK defined. script/build.ps1 should take care of all of that for you. Or, alternatively, copy and paste the commands from script/build.ps1 into Developer PowerShell for VS 2019, one at a time.
I am thinking of creating a Vmware machine, and star all over again (with VS 2019)!!
You are following the instructions in the README, right? https://github.com/vegastrike/Vega-Stri ... on-windows
To the letter!!
By the way, compilation instructions for Manjaro are now available here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51649
I will give it a try!!
v98sbftt07
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by v98sbftt07 »

I experienced similar compilation errors with both visual studio 2019 and 2022. I believe it to be related to something that changed in boost 1.78. I was able to compile by changing the vcpkg.json to the following:

{
    "$schema": "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/microsoft/vcpkg/master/scripts/vcpkg.schema.json",
    "name": "vega-strike",
    "version-string": "0.9.0",
    "dependencies": [
        {"name": "boost-python", "version>=": "1.77.0"},
         {"name": "boost-log","version>=": "1.77.0"},
         {"name": "boost-date-time","version>=": "1.77.0"},
         {"name": "boost-iostreams","version>=": "1.77.0"},
         {"name": "boost-system","version>=": "1.77.0"},
         {"name": "boost-filesystem","version>=": "1.77.0"},
         {"name": "boost-thread","version>=": "1.77.0"},
         {"name": "boost-chrono","version>=": "1.77.0"},
         {"name": "boost-atomic","version>=": "1.77.0"},
         {"name": "boost-assign","version>=": "1.77.0"},
        "expat",
        "freeglut",
        "libpng",
        "libjpeg-turbo",
        "libvorbis",
        "openal-soft",
        "opengl",
        "opengl-registry",
        "sdl1",
        "zlib"
    ],
    "builtin-baseline":"cc471dc0f59b7b2066d6172c2893419412327a7a"
}
I am curious if that resolves your issue too. It may be worth deleting your vcpkg C:\projects directory and starting from scratch after making the change to avoid any extra variables coming into play.
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Will do!! I 've setup a VmWare machine, so it's easy to have a "clean" environment!!! Thank you!!
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Well, it compiled, without any serious errors. And I will try it home, this evening!!
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Concerning my ongoing saga of compiling Vegastrike for windows :D :D :

After I applied the changes suggested by v98sbftt07, I was able to compile vegastrike, on my laptop running Visual Studio 2022!!! Not only that, but I was also able to run it, after I downloaded vsUTCS v0.8.0-alpha2. (For some reason I could not change my vegastrike settings, but I will try again later today).

I have also installed Visual Studio 2019, on a Vmware Virtual machine running Win10!! I could not compile it this time though!! I have attached the install-log!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

RE: The settings sorry but the settings app does not build on Windows yet the vcpkg for GTK3 gets tagged as a virus by most anti-virus suites there are a couple workarounds 1.use the Linux version for settings and transfer the config file 2. get someone that uses Linux to do it for you (have already done so for an other user)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Sorry this is taking a while to resolve. I was able to reproduce the build errors yesterday on my Windows installation, and I'm working on a draft Pull Request right now: https://github.com/vegastrike/Vega-Stri ... e/pull/650

So, progress is being made. :-)
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

RE: The settings sorry but the settings app does not build on Windows yet the vcpkg for GTK3 gets tagged as a virus by most anti-virus suites there are a couple workarounds 1.use the Linux version for settings and transfer the config file 2. get someone that uses Linux to do it for you (have already done so for an other user)
I have the linux version installed, on a Vmware PoP_OS machine, so I can copy it from there!! Although I do not have a problem editing the settings! I just don't thing it's accepting them!!
Sorry this is taking a while to resolve. I was able to reproduce the build errors yesterday on my Windows installation, and I'm working on a draft Pull Request right now: https://github.com/vegastrike/Vega-Stri ... e/pull/650

So, progress is being made.
So I became a bug-hunter then!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Captain_Kal wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:31 am So I became a bug-hunter then!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You did indeed! :lol:
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

And https://github.com/vegastrike/Vega-Stri ... e/pull/650 has now been merged into the main branch, so you can try it again whenever you feel up to it. The code should now compile in either Visual Studio 2019 or Visual Studio 2022. (Thanks to v98sbftt07 for testing on the latter, and for their help and suggestions along the way.)
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

After I compiled the source code, I copied the whole "release" directory to another machine. I also downloaded "vsUTCS v0.8.0-beta1.zip", unzipped to a new directory called "assets", and tried to run the game!! I got errors , that I 've attached in the text file.

Running the game in a Vmware Win10 machine, produced the same errors, related to python, I think!! Although python is also installed on both machines (Real hardware & Virtual).

Running the executable, from my dev laptop, runs fine (with default settings!! That is something I will deal later, with!!)

Any ideas??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Glad to hear it's working on your dev laptop. Running the game on a different machine from the one it was compiled on, isn't really a supported scenario yet.

As for the settings, loki1950, would you mind helping with that?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Settings should be easy if you have a VM environment just build it for a Linux version then use the settings app generated just copy the edited config file from the Linux VM to the Win 10 app data .vegastrike loc.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Glad to hear it's working on your dev laptop. Running the game on a different machine from the one it was compiled on, isn't really a supported scenario yet.
OK!! I will try again, when you 'll implement it then!!
Settings should be easy if you have a VM environment just build it for a Linux version then use the settings app generated just copy the edited config file from the Linux VM to the Win 10 app data .vegastrike loc.
Where is the config file stored in Linux?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

On Linux the config file will be found in .vegastrike the "dot" in front means that the folder is hidden.

Captain_Kal
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Captain_Kal »

Hello, fellow travelers!! Long time no see!! Since the last month and a half was very hectic, I had no time to check the 0.8 release of Vega Strike. But last weekend I was able to give the new version, a run for its money!!!

Without further delay:

I was able to compile the Windows version twice , once with my dev laptop and the other with my test VMWare Win10 VM running on my desktop!! Both times I used Visual Studio 2022 Community Edition using the workloads mentioned here (https://github.com/vegastrike/Vega-Strike-Engine-Source)!!

My dev laptop could run both scripts (bootstrap.ps1 & build.ps1), without any problems.

I could not replicate the same process in my VMWare Win10 VM. It refused to run any of the scripts (something about signing, even though I set the execution policies to remote signed as the procedure dictates). But I was able to copy each command from the script and paste in the Developers Powershell command line!! And I was also able to compile it, that way!!

I also downloaded the zip file for Vega Strike: Upon the Coldest Sea (vsUTCS) v0.8.0., renamed it to "Assets" and extracted in the same directory with the compiled "exe"s ("Release" or "bin").

Using either

"vegastrike-engine.exe -dC:\..\source\repos\Release\Assets"

or

"vegastrike-engine.exe -dC:\..\source\repos\bin\Assets"

I was able to run the game, with it's default settings!! I created a .bat file, so I will not have to type these commands, all over again.

I generated a "vegastrike.config", with my preferred settings from Linux version running in VM (yes I also have a Linux VM) and copied it, into

"..\AppData\Local\.vegastrike"

folder!! The game run just fine!!

As a next step, I tried to run the game natively (not in VMware).
I copied the whole "Release" folder (including "Assets"), to my desktop and updated the .bat file accordingly!!

("vegastrike-engine.exe -dG:\Vega_Strike\Assets"). I renamed the "Release" folder to "Vega_Strike".

I encountered the same Python errors (could not find a path), but after coping the "DLL"

(C:\Projects\vcpkg\packages\python3_x64-windows\tools\python3\DLLs"

and "lib"

"C:\Projects\vcpkg\packages\python3_x64-windows\tools\python3\lib"

folders into "G:\Vega_Strike", I was also able to run it.

To summarize: I got the game running natively using two different Windows hardware configurations, in 1080p & 1440p resolution. I could upload the .rar archive for further testing, if anyone is interested!!!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Bravo Captain_Kai glad you got it working I'm still setting up a new laptop myself so haven't got there yet.

the_mtn_who_glides
Merchant
Merchant

Excellent!! Glad to hear it!