Rlaan briin Space city.......

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Rlaan briin Space city.......

Post by Fendorin »

Rlaan briin contact/teach/research/diplomatic and life station (oxygen city for oxygen's Rlaan uplift) it s like a fiscal paradise for human and big duty free
Rlaan briin want keep human for study them......

( in this place luxury product is very cheap )
and you can meet many different human faction's characters.
They propose various mission....(illegal mission???.....maybe)

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

The interior : with one ship in dock:( for scale)

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

An other beautiful one Fendorin i like the natiliod base shape.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Truly a work of art.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

biological engineering lab, Awesome.
AMD 4800 - NVIDIA 7600 - Slackware Linux 12.2
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

Wow! Awesome. I wish I could model and texture like that...

One thing strikes me though: Since this is a station built (grown?) by the Rlaan and according to the Rlaan style guide those large bat like wings on their ships have something to do with their shields shouldn't this installation have wings as well?
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Yeah this one is stunning! I love it, the blue parts make the station look HUGE and the pink plates must be "giganormous". I really like it!
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Miollnir
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Miollnir »

Yet another sexy beast by Fendorin! I love the shape and color.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Bravo - Now the exterior hull needs fancy lighting if you ask me.
Ie: bake a glowmap where a few artificial lights illuminate the (dark parts) of the hull. With style. I'm not sure how, just the idea.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Stunning. Absolutely gorgeous.

As for shield/radiator fins, yes, it should have some, but this brings me to something pertinent to all models of very large objects - they should, whenever possible, be built out of smaller pieces.

Firstly, for reasons including (but not limited to) texture size sanity (and pixel granularity) massive objects should (at the least) be composed of multiple mesh/texture chunks, even if they are to still be a single game object (see: Clydesdale model, which is composed of three separate meshes). Additionally, for REALLY BIG models, dividing things into separate meshes also buys meaningful gains in LOD responsiveness (i.e. only the part of the massive object which is actually taking up your field of view need be displayed at top level detail). The clearest case for this sort of thing is radially symmetric models (which may primarily apply to stations, but... stations can be among the most large of the very large models :) )

Secondly (and this applies to the radiator fins it would be nice to see) if some part of a model is to be repeated, perhaps even across models, or is clearly a subsidiary part (e.g. external cargo container on a freighter), it may be preferable to construct said part as a unit rather than just a separate mesh, so that they can be independently acted upon, instantiated, and reused. For the truly adventurous (as the interface for specifying subunits isn't entirely user friendly), this can lead to library-component based design of ships and stations (not at all a bad thing when it comes to aesthetic consistency within a manufacturing group), easy-to-construct variant models (add/remove parts) or, the perhaps less useful, but very gratifying, ability to blow up smaller parts off of larger objects (for full effect, one could even pre-damage the parts of the texture map normally obscured by the sub-units). But, on this second point, I digress too much into wistful fancy -- the key point is really the first point.

Even at a texture size of 2Kx2K pixels, if you have (for example) a 4 Kilometer wide cube, that's 96 (= 4*4*6) square kilometers to cover with that texture. Making simplistic assumptions about the coordinate mapping, one ends up with a single pixel being 22 square meters (4000*4000*6/(2048*2048). This example is clearly contrived, but the point remains that using a single texture/mesh to represent truly massive objects has limitations, and that there are ways to circumvent these limitations which may actually bring additional benefits.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Awesome work again Fendorin, the amount of work you put into your texturing really pays.

I also want to say coming from some experience in this, jackS makes a good point on modular contruction of vessels. It really does save alot of time to reuse components within a fleet of a particular faction. This could also be taken into the realm of visible, modular upgrades to a ship by the player in-game.

A modular system like this would just require a little extra fore-thought, perhaps made easier if one artist took charge of each faction, to eliminate coordination issues caused by both a lack of everyday realtime communication and a need for a fairly high degree of visible compatibility between geometry sections.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

The imagination and skill that has gone into this ship is such that it's a shame the texture / modularity of the ship can't cope with it's size.

Imagine how amazing it would look if broken up into individually modelled/textured sections - not only giving it a gargantuan scale but also meaning it's a thing of beauty at all viewing distances.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community