svn changes and how they will effect artists

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

safemode
Developer
Developer

svn changes and how they will effect artists

Post by safemode »

data4.x has been converted to a dds centric repository texture-wise. All original artwork has been moved to a separate directory designated by ace123.

What this means is that your current data4.x directories will have all their textures overwritten (except locally modified ones, they'll conflict) with dds files.

Commits to your data4.x dir will be for the most part, illegal. data4.x should only get dds files added to it, or the rare png. You should make any commits or changed textures to the masters repository, likely in the branches directory.

Someone or you, will then convert that image to a dds and commit it to data4.x

Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is the easiest way to handle having high quality originals and workable distribution textures in dds format.

It'll be annoying to move your changes to a new repository, especially if you dont use the switch command, but once the initial change is done, it should all work just as easy as before.

To summarize, data4.x is now mostly DDS and should not have non-dds textures committed to it. make all your texture commits to wherever ace123 puts the masters repository in /branches.

I suggest you copy your data4.x directory to some other name, then run svn switch in one, and svn update in the other, to minimize any downloading you need to do.

Again, i'm sorry if this is confusing to the new svn users out there. It's a necessary little hiccup that shouldn't have to happen again ever.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Ok, let me try and clarify some things because some people are confused by my late night ramblings.

data4.x will still be called data4.x, but all the textures have been replaced by dds files.

there will be a masters repository for all the original textures.

you have a couple choices. You can either copy your data4.x dir and run svn update in one and svn switch in the other, or you can co the masters repository clean, and update your data4.x dir.

All new commits of texture data will go to the masters repository, unless it's a dds file, then it will goto the data4.x target.

You will, in either case, have to at least download basically the entire contents of the data4.x repository because it's all been updated.

If you have local changes not yet comitted, I strongly recommend copying your directory before updating. svn switch will overwrite files as well, so dont do both at the same time to both copies of your local data4.x, in case your local edits get lost in one operation.