Irken ship development

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

GustaveDelior
Merchant
Merchant

Irken ship development

Post by GustaveDelior »

if any one is an invader zim fan, then i have just began creating my first ship,
alot of time will be going into this. if any one wants to help im going to need it. Creating the 3D mapping of the ship won't be too difficult (being i am a graphic artist...unemployed) but when i get to the Compiling stage, i am going to need a little help, as i have never compiled anything before.
After the mapping and compiling, any one who would like the ships in question may have them freely to do with and mod as they please.

ill keep any one intersted in my little project posted as they ask.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

are you in contact with jacks about which ship you will make---we have a lot of ships that need making --- we could really use help from a talented artist like yourself to make some of the ships needed for this and future releases :-)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

GIR Says:

Image If by compiling you mean converting to the game-ready bfxm format, HowTo:Add
Ships
on the wiki will guide you along the process.

If you get stuck, feel free to ask for help again in the contributor how-to section.
GustaveDelior
Merchant
Merchant

Post by GustaveDelior »

Thanx a bunch, already got refernce pictures of the voot cruiser and the mammoth.

Hellcatv i would be happy to help out later but i need to first get the hang of making ships for this engine. however if you would like to send me a few things for mapping i could take a look and see what i could do.
GustaveDelior
Merchant
Merchant

Post by GustaveDelior »

UPDATE

I got a rough 3D model of the ship. Using wings3d. how ever i can't find how to save the screen shots so i can post what i got done so far.
Cockroach
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Cockroach »

There's a setting to make it export to to a .tga file instead of just displaying the render, or you can just screenshot the app and save the file. The latter would probably be better if you wanted to show the mesh.
GustaveDelior
Merchant
Merchant

Post by GustaveDelior »

ok here is the basic model shape, now comes the long tedius task of tweeking minor details, and texturung and all that technical stuff.

color was just added temp for making it look better right now

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... temId=7057

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... temId=7059

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... temId=7061

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... temId=7063

well wish me luck.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Haha, awesome.
GustaveDelior
Merchant
Merchant

Post by GustaveDelior »

UPDATE: This converting buisness is hard, and i dont think it can be done by an amature (no knowledge of coding what so ever) such as my self.
I got the plug in for wings 3D but it does not appear to work. does any one know a way to convert with wings 3D? any other link where i could get the plug in that does work.

so anyways with xmesh conversion halted for a little while, a day or 3 i have just started the mamoth.
after all i have learned i feel i have learned nothing. Therefore i am not a wise man but i know much about nothing.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

Conversion's tricky and it's hard to get reliable results unless you've done it a lot - me, I just gave up after a few tries. Usually when it throws a rod it's because there's something wrong with the mesh, though, especially if you used some feature or modifier that's program-specific. Dunno what that'd be in WINGS, which doesn't even <i>have</i> features to speak of; try exporting and reimporting the file as a DXF, that'll kill your texture maps if any but it'll also usually take out anything that's not pure geometry.
GustaveDelior
Merchant
Merchant

Post by GustaveDelior »

Of course that makes sense now export it a an Auto Cad format.
after all i have learned i feel i have learned nothing. Therefore i am not a wise man but i know much about nothing.
GustaveDelior
Merchant
Merchant

Post by GustaveDelior »

most work is done thought i would wait for the next release to import since its so close