Uln ship design (plus newbie greetings)

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Carsten
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Uln ship design (plus newbie greetings)

Post by Carsten »

Hello world!

Let me start by saying that I'm really enjoying the game at the moment. I'm a fan of the genre (also ex EVE player) and think that this game surely has a lot of potential. Lately I've found renewed interest in modeling, just about since I've found Blender actually. I used to have these old versions of 3DStudio Max around, including the heavy books that went with them.

I was thinking about trying to do some stuff for the Uln faction. (I like the idea of an aggressive race with too much tech they don't understand.) My initial idea after reading in the wiki is something aggressive but still aesthetically pleasing. Maybe something that looks like it's still a combination between generally high tech and some low tech parts, given their Ancestor history. There are three ships which I think would make a nice start: the squire, baronet and baron.

I'll try to get started on 2d concept art as soon as possible, but right now I'm kept fairly busy at the university (studying AI). Any tips, help, earlier Uln art that you can point me too etc. are very much appreciated. Also, I think I saw a thread or wiki somewhere about faction color schemes, but can't seem to find it now. Anyone got a pointer?
Carsten
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Carsten »

This has been on hold for a very long time, while I was busy with totally different stuff. This is a mock up for the Uln Squire vessel, made with Blender. The extrusion on the vessel's right should be a missile pod, though I haven't done the details yet. Tell me what you think?

Front view
Perspective shot
Right view
Top view
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Carsten nice simple shape as to it's suitability that is something that the Minister of Information must comment on.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Carsten
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Carsten »

Again busy with the mesh, it's almost done. I've added another extrusion above and to the front of the missile pod that looks like a shielded weapon mounting. My thoughts on load out would be 1 light/special weapon slot and 2 light/medium(maybe also special?) missile slots. There's no real info on the ship in the wiki yet, so if you've got other ideas about the stats you should tell me before I finish doing the mesh, while I'm still making changes.

I've sunk the ends of the "pipes" that go around the waist of the ship into the front dome. These structures are supposed to be filled with sensor banks and shield projection arrays. The gap in the left wing is a radiator for heat dispersion for these arrays. I'd guess the Uln would be very careful to hide these ugly antennas, so as not to break up what they think are nice shapes. Because these ships are the lowliest in the Uln hierarchy, I've gone with smooth shapes and little detail. Their leaders should probably have all sorts of fancy detailing on their ships.

The main body of the ship consists of a cockpit surrounded by small cargo spaces to the front (in the dome) and the power generator just in front of the single engine.

Think I should add some more detail to the back? Maybe some cooling thingy to suggest the generator placement. Though this could probably be done in texturing. It now has ~930 faces.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

BTW, Uln ships are of two types. The gaudy Royal fleet and the ragtag lower classes.

Ulns are scavengers when it comes to technology. So their ships are a mishmash of Ultra-High technology of the Ancients and junkyard scraps. And it has too look nonhuman at all. heh. (A sample of ancient technology are the beholder drones).

I don't know about the correctness of your design for use by Ulns. Better ask JackS about it. :P
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Pyramid asked me to comment on this thread that I would appear to have overlooked at the time.

mmm. To be terse - it doesn't strike me as what we're looking for for the Squire, or an Uln design in general. Sorry.
aurora
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Re: Uln ship design (plus newbie greetings)

Post by aurora »

Any suggestions re the size of Squire? Any vessels that can be used for size reference?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Since it's role is as a tender for Uln Fighters i imagine that the fighters must be able to dock within it for minor repairs and reloading so it should be bigger that the Uln fighters.And welcome aboard.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Maybe the squire class ship can look like that :

Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Fendorin wrote:Maybe the squire class ship can look like that :

Really nice concept, fendorin.

Wish I knew more about the Uln ship styles.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Thanks !!

I know two ship are approved the Duke from Oblivion and the knight from me that all
then i tryed to do something between this two art