New modelling tutorial: Welding

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

New modelling tutorial: Welding

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Wrote a new Blender tutorial for welding meshes together. The principles apply to any modelling tool, though.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTo:Weld

By "welding" I mean going from this,

to this.

And, no: beveling is part of it, but it's not enough; and subsurfing is too expensive and wouldn't look exactly right, anyways; so be sure to read it.

Enjoy.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Thank you! :D

Even tho it's written for blender, the ideas are applicable to me max as well. :)
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Hey, Oblivion! Very welcome. Hope you find it useful.

Yes, indeed it applies no matter what tool you use; it's all about having those cuts on either side of the bevel, defining strips of polys that are co-planar with the rest of the meshes. All having to do with understanding how smooth shading actually works, in the gpu; and tailoring the mesh to make the best use of it. It's simply about applying the concept already explained in the "bevels that look good" tutorial, but to a more complex, real life situtation.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:wink: yep. i always had a problem with joining toegether two meshes. most of the time, i had to risk a boolean (and do a very tiresome clean-up operation afterwards) or just connect them (which doesn't look that good, especially if you want a really "joined-together" look). The answer was staring at my face the whole time :oops: . Cut both meshes and join them. :D the adding parallel polies for better shading was also something i didnt know. :D Thank you.

Anyways, OT. sorry for being absent from the VS forums for long periods. Ive been busy with RL and my current AFF assignment demands my exclusive attention. don't worry tho. I'm a bit better at both modeling, unwrapping, and texturing, so i can do much better ships than the ones i did. :wink:

promise i'll do something for VS soon.

btw re: missing ships. sorry, i moved a lot of files to cd-r's recently due to low disk space (and i cant afford to buy a new HD, :wink: ) and I think i may have included the ships. but i can't find it. ill just replace them. anyway, it's just the shenzong, the rest have links posted in here.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

promise i'll do something for VS soon.
I'm not involved with VS, myself, at all; just with WCU.
btw re: missing ships. sorry, i moved a lot of files to cd-r's recently due to low disk space (and i cant afford to buy a new HD,)
Do you still, use my server? If so, don't worry too much about space usage there; I have 50 gigs space; and I'm only using 5 or 10 gigs.
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Thu May 03, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Good to see you, Oblivion!

Well, Chucky, you have proven yourself as a master of blending once again! This should help with PRT bakings a lot, I think.
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

LOL

Why with PRT bakings? No, all it does is make smooth welds look smoother.
And you'd do this at your basic mesh level. For ambient occlusion and PRT bakings you still have to take this welded mesh and subsurf it.

Next tutorial will be an unwrap tutotial, btw. Coming real soon. My previous unwrap tutorial was a mere illustration of a technique; but this will be a tutorial covering a full ship unwrap process.

And the next one after that will be about bakings. And after that about texturing (using my texturizer program). Both full ship tutorials. And after that it will be about LOD's; but I need to figure that out myself first ... :-)
DualJoe
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by DualJoe »

Wow, that's an ambitious list of tutorials.
If you add normalmaps, sculpting and vector-graphic-textures then you're tha man and you should consider publishing a book.

Btw I suspect I'll be able to do some work for WCU in the non to distant future. Seems that that career change you suggested is coming whether I want to or not. I've been having a lot of problems lately because of my braindamage.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Hey Dual! How's the bike running?

What brain damage are you talking about? Is this related to that eye infection? Gosh! Glad you're giving a career change serious consideration, then. And be sure to get some compensation as well.

And I'm glad you'll have time for WCU. We're in need. First of all is the Hornet. We're going to have tons of them in WC0. Another is the Raptor. Another is the Scimtar. I made a movie Rapier,
http://www.wcplanet.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=353#353
and I think we'll use that one for at least the first half of WC0, but eventually we'll need a classic Rapier. Plus, all the Kat ships...

Ehm... How about we co-author that book? :D
DualJoe
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by DualJoe »

The bike is insanely fast and the ride is incredibly smooth. It has a different suspension compared to your average bike and that really makes a difference. Just have to be careful of cops and birds. A bird smacked into my shoulder the other day while I was going somewhat over 200km/h and that leaves a mark.

I thought I already mentioned the braindamage. The reason I wasn't in active duty was because of that. I've lost the sense of smell and most of the sense of taste, got a damaged short-term-memory, problems with my concentration and a list of other minor problems. I figured I could work around those defects, but it seems now that I severely underestimated the effects. Since the accident I've been searching for ways to recuperate, but up until now I've only run into dead ends. I took up modeling and contributing to WCU as a personal training en test program.

Back on topic:
The Hornet is practically ready to go and I posted it a while back with all the textures. It just needs the guns and rockets and maybe some better LOD's than the ones I currently did (they should do well enough I don't think most people will notice you can judge yourself from the comparison picture I posted). I don't know how adding ships and subunits work so thats about as much as I could do.

I've been waiting for the 2.43 release of Blender and it's new tools for doing the LODs. I've also got some ideas about new techniques I want to try out with modelling. I made a start with those stamplike features/greebles. I really want to master sculpting, retopo-paint. I've also got some ideas I want to try out for texturing like going further with vectorgraphics. Most of the panelling and rivets on the hornet were done using vectors. The lossless scaling and small file-sizes are strong advantages. And because the graphic-engine will add so much realism to the texture (as you clearly demonstated with your impressive work on the Demon) I think we don't need photo quality details anymore. It does mean I'll have to look into XaraXtreme and Inkscape. Would be nice if the vegastrike engine could handle svg-textures, no more resolution problems and a lot less harddiskspace required.

Once I've figured out my new modeling techniques, LOD-generation and refined my texturing workflow I'll see about doing some tuts on the subject.

EDIT
Look what's planned for the 2.44 Blender release due this month
- baking: object-to-object ray normal baking (baking hires object into lowres)
That was the last feature I really needed from my Blender-wishlist. Seems that one of these days I need to compile me a new svn-version of Blender.

EDIT2
:shock: ... or just get Blender 2.44-RC1 here
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Your plans are intriguing to say the least.
What's "object to object" baking?
For how subobjects work, open units.csv with open office, and take a look at any ship using subobjects. Can't remember what column the subobjects were in; I think in the "cargo" column; or maybe there was a "subobject" column. Anyways, look for a carrier or capship and find where the turrets appear. There's a name for the turret (unit name, which have their own rows, elsewhere in units.csv) and two sets of x,y,z numbers, representing the location and default orientation.
DualJoe
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by DualJoe »

chuck_starchaser wrote:What's "object to object" baking?
Well the part in parentheses says it all really.
2.43 introduced baking of the render into a texture, but it only worked on the object itself.
The new feature means that you can make an extremely detailed model and then render all that detail onto an low-poly game models/LODs.
I don't know if it also supports baking tangent-normalmaps, but the big Ton promised it was next on the todo-list when he coded the baking-feature.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

So, if it doesn't bake tangent normal maps yet, what does it bake?
DualJoe
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by DualJoe »

After some searching a lot of talk (including from Blender-devs) point to coding all the baking-scripts functionalities in Blender and that includes baking of tangent-space-normalmaps. However I have no idea who is working on it and what he is doing.
I am pretty sure that it (baking tangent-space-normalmaps and high->low ) will be in 2.44 because that has been announced twice now on the official Blender site. However I haven't been able to get it to work on current builds from Blenderbuilds or graphicall. Guess I'll have to be patient for a couple of days more.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Allright, once this Full Unwrap Naked tutorial is finished, I'll put a new post to formally announce, but for the curious, for now, here's the WIP just started:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... rapBlender
DualJoe
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by DualJoe »

Just read your UV-unwrap WIP and it's very impressive so far. If you keep this up it'll be the best tutorial I've ever read on the subject. I especially like the fact that you explain the technical reasons behind some of your advice, like the placement of uv-islands in relation to GPU-processing. It took me forever to figure out most of the stuff you put in there. I wouldn't have known most of the technical stuff if you hadn't mentioned it.

When you're done, maybe you should consider posting a link on blenderartists or blendernation. I really think this could be helpfull to a lot of Blender users.

Btw, emissive materials in Blender only work as lightsources in radiosity-renders (and some external renderers like YafRay). You're way of faking them is one solution. You could also fake them in the textures diff and glow.

The falloff of the lights you use for illuminating the gangways and such is still to great IMO. I think it would help sell the illusion of size if you decreased the falloff.
Thats one of the areas where I'm still struggling with Blender, I'm always having to change all the light settings quadratice/sperical fallof and light-distance and intensity before I get it too look right.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

DualJoe wrote:Just read your UV-unwrap WIP and it's very impressive so far. If you keep this up it'll be the best tutorial I've ever read on the subject. I especially like the fact that you explain the technical reasons behind some of your advice, like the placement of uv-islands in relation to GPU-processing. It took me forever to figure out most of the stuff you put in there. I wouldn't have known most of the technical stuff if you hadn't mentioned it.

When you're done, maybe you should consider posting a link on blenderartists or blendernation. I really think this could be helpfull to a lot of Blender users.
Wow! Thanks! :D I'll do so; far from done yet, tho.
Btw, emissive materials in Blender only work as lightsources in radiosity-renders (and some external renderers like YafRay). You're way of faking them is one solution. You could also fake them in the textures diff and glow.
Yes, I ended up blending (in Gimp) render bakings and radiosity bakings, to produce a glow texture. Quite a mess. Anyways, my tutorial took a detour: I decided to do a rough UV mapping (using ArchiMap) and a set of textures, really quickly, just blendings of baking, just to get the show on the road, and for starlord and the other WC0 guys to have a ship they can start game-testing with. Here's a PR1.2 in-game screenshot, near Achilles base:

The falloff of the lights you use for illuminating the gangways and such is still to great IMO. I think it would help sell the illusion of size if you decreased the falloff.
Indeed, that's given me no end of trouble; but I'm still adamant on physics and optics realism. I think the problem is not so much the light's fall off, as much as the more general problem of displays and gamma correction and all that; and I have a plan to try and come up with a set of shaders to do a sort of automatic gamma adjustment --like a mini-HDR, without the fancy effects. I think the problem of gamma needs a global solution, rather than tweaking every light on every ship and unit.
But in any case, even though I refused to have anything but quadratic fall-off, I ended up tweaking gamma from 1 to 1.6 after the radiosity bake, and even then I ended up using curves in Gimp... :-/
Thats one of the areas where I'm still struggling with Blender, I'm always having to change all the light settings quadratice/sperical fallof and light-distance and intensity before I get it too look right.
Yeah, same here; ditto; not Blender's fault, IMO.