New race in the making

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

New race in the making

Post by zaydana »

well... VS needs more races so here is a screenshot for one i'm making

So far, they are called the 'Kyavaans', and they have 2 fighters, a cargo ship, 2 atmospheric attack craft (an assault ship + a bomber), a big capship, and a command ship. Only got a little cargo fleet here tho, as none of the others have been textured or scaled properly yet... anyways, here you are

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/image ... -fleet.png

Any recommendations?
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

WOW! Those look awesome! they remind me of those evil plague spreading aliens from crusade!
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Looks really good. one suggestion would be to make the cockpits more noticable though.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

the rlaan don't have any appreciable capships

these are very similar to the style of the current rlaan ships modulo the coloring

if you could make it purple and gray then we could use THOSE as the new rlaan capships and bases

we are in DESPARATE need of rlaan capships and bases

We really don't need new races until we FINISH the ones we have--but yes I think these would be perfect for rlaan if someone could arm them (at least the locations for turrets so jacks can balance them with the rest of the rlaan)

and if someone could make weird rlaan bases they would totally be better than the tetrahedra and cube bases we have now (I'm no artist)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

I thought rlaan had a capship already.. It was big and white last time I saw it..
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

I suggested making it cool by making it entirely black, and turning off all light except specular so it's shiny. Right now it looks like a giant blimp
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

FlyingAce wrote:I suggested making it cool by making it entirely black, and turning off all light except specular so it's shiny. Right now it looks like a giant blimp
that was done, and looks rather cool.....but it doesn't fit in with the new rlaan stuff (nor was it actually complete), so will only exist in the old data cvs :-)

Dan.a
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

rlaan ships? Spose i could do that. But before we make these ships a main racfe i'd like to etll you my average poly count... 1500 polys :)

O yeah, somebody else would have to texture the ships if they are gonig rlaan, i can do more of the same modelling style, unless i just change the gradient map... how i do it is gradient map it in photoshop, then apply a few bumpy textures to it, so no circly stuff like rlaan has got at the moment...

But yeah, if you don't mind the different texturing style i can do some rlaan ships...

Hurleyburd: the cockpits are unnoticable as those ships are BIG, and i want to make it sort of scaled. There is no cockpit in the Cargoship, as it has a bridge, and outside cameras and radar instead of actual portholes :) The fighter has a cockpit, Except it is hard to see (the little blue part up the front). That fighter is about the size of a 747, so i hope that clears up the size thing :)
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

the look perfectly fine as rlaan capships

just change the Hue-Saturation so that they're more purplish

no need to retexture

the new rlaan look very similar to them
have you downloaded the data4.x
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

yeah, i did look at it... but i thought it was more circly than carpetty...

ah well, i'll give it a try
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

ok... wll here is what it looks like on a fighter, might do some of the capships later if you like this:

The Jolkarin Class "Rodent":
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/images/jolkarin.png

It doesn't look much like the rlaan ships to me... it wuold be better getting the same artist to do textures or the capships, but if you really want them :P Besides, it looks nicer red =D

One thing i was thinking, is what about something like in Homeworld, where you can change the color of the texture by painting it? And it would be an ingame hue/saturation thing ...?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I really like it and thinks it fits right in

it would be ok to keep them red... or we could have 2 textures one for like rlaan main fleet and one for the smaller fleets

I do think it really fits in with the rlaan--they're weird creatures--- their fighters may have odd wings--but why should their capships look that way--maybe at larger scale different things become efficient

you don't see a jet shaped like an F22 and the size of a B52, right? things change in look as they get larger--why not the same for rlaan ;-)
what do others think about this
Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

i dunno, looking at the above 'fighter'... to me it looks like a really really big bomber... i mean apart from not having many places for power plants or ammo...but it still has a more 'bomber' than 'fighter' feel to it, and could exist as twice (or thrice) the size of a normal fighter. That size difference alone would justify the different appearance.

Or, alternatively, it could exist (or even double as) a container transport. see that empty space in the middle with the 3-beam frame around it? that could carry cargo containers. Then, when needed, a bombing or assault module could be inserted there instead. It could be a truly multi-purpose craft usable as a bomber, cargo transport, troop transport, perhaps even a makeshift mini-carrier if need be. sorta like the range-rover add ons (some later versions of range rovers have an extra gear box which can be hooked up to anything from extra winches to a propellor - which is used in combination with attachable floats as a boat - scary huh?)

so anyway, that's just my 2 cent idea. it'd make sense to have such a multipurpose craft in an army. very economical, and it's role could be changed within 15mins depending on the immediate needs of the carrying vessel, module availability pending of course (imagine knocking out a transport carrying modules for these things - would that render them next to useless? interesting stategic possibility...).
Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

Another idea, simply aesthetic this time. See the really big ship in your top-most picture? it'd prolly be a really cool effect if that frame part at the front that looks like an egg-beater turned around...like an egg beater i guess... just thought it'd look cool :P
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

the original idea of this race was that each ship would be huge, and very expensive, and also powerful... See the engine on the back? That is about 3 times the size of Normal :)

I think in my race that ship was suppost to be a v. light interceptor, or a scout (thus the big engines and relatively small/thin structure)... I like the idea of modules, tho.

I think if it were going to be of rlaan design, tho, it probaly would end up being a bomber. O yeah... i forgot to mention a 1600 poly-count :P I could optimize it down to 1500 easily i think, further than that it will be interesting :/ I also forgot to save the unsmoothed version...
Bazza
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Bazza »

Is it just me, or do those ships look kinda alive?

That would be an interesting twist for a race, using organic ships. Don't know how you would work the components though.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

bio-mount weapons?
Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

duuude....

"Mayday! Mayday! My ship is being eaten by another ship!!"
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

lol... you can use the for the rlaan but i was thinking of making a mod and they were giong to be the living ship race...

Also there was going to be an ancient unknown race, the humans (who changed drastically after WW3) and some other 'normal' race (likie we are now) what you think of that?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Thats cool. The more races the better IMO.
Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

zaydana wrote: Also there was going to be an ancient unknown race, the humans (who changed drastically after WW3)
you mean like "post-nuclear holocaust" sorta thing? the guys who got stuck on the surface or only hid in caves and sufferred severe disfigurement through the generations thanks to the radiation and hate the normal humans who were able to escape the planet or hide under the surface because they have life so good and offerred them no protection... the outsiders, the survivors, or the Under race. These people are treated as 'less-than-human' by the Humans, although the Humans simply choose to ignore their existance, disgusted.

This 'race' suffers a higher rate of cancer and other radiation related diseases. They also suffer a severe amount of disfigurement throughout the generations. The type of disfigurements vary incredibly, ranging from missing legs to extra fingers to siamese twins to missing organs (eg only 1 lung or half a kidney). This in itself means that there is a high rate of still born or infant death due to lack of growth. This figure may well be upward of 50%, but figures are hazy due to the lack of organised or publicized records or health systems, and the fact that it is simply accepted as a fact of life.

At first the race hid in caves and tunnels beneath the surface, or in abandoned or disused subways and sewers under the cities. From here the Underrace would launch terrorist attacks, occasionally managing to take out a seior public offical or two. However they lacked the ability to produce any large organised military or government due to their need to remain in hiding. At this time the Underrace existed in tribes, with 'soft' alleigences between eachother. They existed this way for a hundred years or so until in 2257 a plan was formed to forge a life for themselves away from the rotting sewers and crumbling mine shafts. A 30yo Underrecian called Andlo Kallegston organised a meeting between 48 major european and african tribes. He presented to them a plan to capture a number of large cargo vessels which would be landing in Paris later that year. The tribes built up a stockpile of weapons and supplies and loaded these and themselves into cargo containers. With the help of Human sympathists they managed to switch these with the cargo that was SUPPOSED to be loaded onto the cargo ships. Once the seven cargo ships were in orbit, the Underrecians burst from the containers, fully armed, and took possession to the ships, murdering all humans on board. With these ships they escaped the Solar system and discovered another planet on which they could establish themselves, free from persecution. These Underecians became known as the People of the Seven, who established a government consisting of representitives from the 48 tribes as well as a preesidential chancellor and two vice chancellors, elected by a majority vote of the representatives.

Over the next 50 years the People of the Seven launched several missions to Earth to rescue remaining Underecians. However, as time passed, the People of the Seven became more concerned with the civilization they had established and Underecians on Earth became less of a priority. The rescue missions became less and less until they were topped altogether. The Underecians of Earth are now known as The People of the Dust. There is now very little communication between the two peoples, usually only when necessary. They consider themselves different peoples today, although an unspoken alleigence exists that means that the two civilizations would be more than willing to combine forces if it meant the obliteration of the Human race.

Due to a lack of infrastructure, the People of the Seven were forced to scavenge parts and machinery from wherever they could. Usually this meant attacking supply convoys and small pirate bands and stealing what they could. For this reason, most of their technology is made up of antiquated equipment or patchwork combinations of ships. For this reason each Ship of the Seven is different. In addition to this, almost every cockpit of the seven is different, due to both the combinations of equipment used to build them, but more importantly the variance of forms within the race. For example some cockpits are built for Underecians without legs or arms, others are built for Underecians with extra fingers. The upside to using a hodg-podge of parts for these ships is that although they can be somewhat unreliable they are extremely easy to repair.

After a period of 50 years of scavenging, building, and thinking, the People of the Seven have begun large scale organised terrorist attacks upon humans. They also seek to establish under-the-table relations with non-humans such as the rlaan, which has been a tense issue at confederacy-rlaan peace talks. While the People of the Seven mobilize to make life difficult for the humans in major space operations, the People of the Dust continue their century-old terrorist attacks upon Earth, with reports that these Underecians have begun to develop more as a community and have begun to secretly infiltrate extra-terrestial operations with evidence of small Dust factions found in 3 other systems.

How does that sound guys?