Just a new alien ship

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Yes, I'm with you; I was suggesting an NM job to Kang partly as an exercise, partly because I was thinking of using a bumpmap to introduce a veins-under-the-skin look, perhaps (I'm not sure if Mantu ships were biological, or whether it was the Nephilim, or both, or none), but I was thinking of using a normal map for more than just subsurf approximation; --and if so, might as well have it do some extra smoothing.

(An exercise for myself too, since I was dissatisfied with my first NM job with that triple-gun turret, if you remember.)

There's one more issue, though: Paralax. I think that about 60%+ of the non-smooth artifacts we see on smooth surfaces are from interpolating normals across flat polys... But we'd need a heght map too, for paralax, right?
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:oops: i meant you can make a few polies look smoother without having to actually increase the number of vertices. :P hehe i'm not too good at this technical stuff. It's just that it seems wasteful (at least for me) to use meshsmoothing (or in your case, subsurfing). But yeah, the number of tris prolly won't be a problem a few years from now. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

chuck_starchaser wrote:But we'd need a heght map too, for paralax, right?
Right... a pretty accurate one for the effect to be useful, as opposed to greebling-grade parallax.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

I replied here
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

Where is a good tutorial for Blender, I have an idea for a mining ship based on organinc hybrid tech using the principles of Nicola Tesla and am using it in some short stories I am writing. I would like to share the design with the VS universe when it becomes multiplayer.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

You can try mediawiki.blender.org, the unofficial Blender bible. Has almost everything you can know about the program.
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.